The Decemberists

Moonraker

Wow - That sounds like one of those "I wish I was there" shows. As you know, Picaresque by The Decembrists has been one of my favourite albums of the year, and I'm hoping they make it to these parts before too long. I've actually got all three of their albums and the "Tain" EP as well.

'The Infanta' from Picaresque is one of the candidates for my favourite song of the year. The album also includes "The Mariner's Revenge Song", which starts like this-

Our ship's sole survivors

In this belly of a whale

It's ribs are ceiling beams

It's guts are carpeting

I guess we have some time to kill

Coincidentally, I bought a few CDs at the weekend, one of which was Love The Cup a Feedback length mini album by Sons And Daughters!.

Sounds like a great gig!!.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 13 2005, 04:52 PM)
Wow - That sounds like one of those "I wish I was there" shows. As you know, Picaresque by The Decembrists has been one of my favourite albums of the year, and I'm hoping they make it to these parts before too long. I've actually got all three of their albums and the "Tain" EP as well.

'The Infanta' from Picaresque is one of the candidates for my favourite song of the year. The album also includes "The Mariner's Revenge Song", which starts like this-

Our ship's sole survivors
In this belly of a whale
It's ribs are ceiling beams
It's guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Coincidentally, I bought a few CDs at the weekend, one of which was Love The Cup a Feedback length mini album by Sons And Daughters!.

Sounds like a great gig!!.

I definatly think that was the song they closed with and had the huge whale jaws eat the crowd. I'm wondering how long it is on the cd, because it seemed like it was a good 10 minutes long or more when they played it. I have to say that their show was definatly one of the top shows I have seen this year. And THANK YOU Madra for the recommendation, I would have missed an incredible performance otherwise.

BTW, I found the setlist.

The Tain

The Legionnaire's Lament

The Sporting Life

(Star Wars interlude)

Los Angeles, I'm Yours

Shiny

The Kingdom of Spain

My Mother Was a Chinese Trapeze Artist

Angel, Won't You Call Me?

We Both Go Down Together

Leslie Anne Levine

16 Military Wives

The Chimbley Sweep / lightsaber duel

I Was Meant For The Stage

Mr. Blue Sky (Electric Light Orchestra cover)

The Mariner's Revenge Song

--- The chimney sweep song was introduced very funny as well. The Colin dude was commenting on how Dick Cheney went down to New Orleans, and then said to someone down there he knows how they feel. When the person asked him, "How could you know how I feel?" He started into the chimney sweep song as if Cheney were singing it. Lotsa funny moments in that show.

Mariner's Revenge Song is nearly nine minutes long.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/madra/idecemb.jpg

I cannot believe they didn't do The Infanta - That to me is a bit like Rush touring PeW and not doing The Spirit Of Radio.

Great set list though, and I remain convinced they can go places.

Apparently it wasnt played on either night at the Fillmore, they did do 2 nights in SF. Here's the setlist from the first night, which I wasnt at.

Shanty for the Arethusa

16 Military Wives

Billy Liar

The Sporting Life

Shiny

Angel, Won't You Call Me?

The Gymnast, High Above the Ground

The Engine Driver

Eli, The Barrow Boy

Red Right Ankle

Grace Cathedral Hill

Odalisque

Song for Myla Goldberg

The Bachelor and the Bride

We Both Go Down Together

The Legionnaire's Lament

A Cautionary Song

The Chimbley Sweep / utter chaos

---

From the sounds of some of the Decemberists fans, the second night was the better of the 2.

I rented Picaresque last week at the library... it's a GREAT album, wish I'd been there to see the show. They're coming to Montreal soon, but it's on a Wednesday so I'll probably not go.

madra -- The Infanta is probably my favourite from the album, along with Engine Driver.

And we'll all come praise the Infanta!

Archived