Here we go again.. Rock Hall Nominees 2016

Xanadoood

Robert Fripp, Brian Eno and Jeff Lynne all deserve recognition. If their respective bands don't get in they should as individuals. Hell, for producing alone.

Where's Roxy Music in all this? New Wave would not have happened without them.

• Like 6

I don't know who can speak in behalf of Yes now but I'd love they refuse this crap

They won't. It's just a shame Chris Squire isn't around if they get in. Geddy can induct them and fill in. That would be awesome.

I buy it!

Robert Fripp, Brian Eno and Jeff Lynne all deserve recognition. If their respective bands don't get in they should as individuals. Hell, for producing alone.

It's so backwards. It's the same with Punk/ hardcore/ post Punk.. where is Husker du? The Replacements? The pixies? Sonic Youth? The Minuteman?

Is Television in?

• Like 3

I have no problem with using the term "rock and roll" as an umbrella definition for all popular music. The more rap artists piss off old school rock fans the more rock and roll they become.

Under this reasoning, how about Liberace ?

I have no problem with using the term "rock and roll" as an umbrella definition for all popular music. The more rap artists piss off old school rock fans the more rock and roll they become.

How is Liberace not rock and roll?

There will always be deserving acts not on the list but I can't complain much about this group. I'm not sure j geils is deserving. Tupac had a short career but it was impactful. Pearl jam will always get more respect from these types than sound garden, sorry.

This is clearly a case of the establishment deciding what is cool. Tu Pac was a highly influential within his genre, but so is Iron Maiden with respect to Metal. But how many supposed "cool" celebrities come out as Maiden fans?

Metal and Punk are still way too underground and lived by the " freaks" .. it's a popularity contest really .

• Like 2

I always assume the starting point for rock and roll was the early late mid 1950s. Artists who predate this time frame predate rock and roll.

Hell, Freddie Mercury ain't got nothing on Liberace. The drugs. The sex. The lifestyle. The flamboyance.

• Like 1

How is Liberace not rock and roll?

Where did I say he wasn't ??

If I had a vote, I'd induct him

I always assume the starting point for rock and roll was the early late mid 1950s. Artists who predate this time frame predate rock and roll.

Hell, Freddie Mercury ain't got nothing on Liberace. The drugs. The sex. The lifestyle. The flamboyance.

And this brings up an excellent point

For example, is Bob Dylan a worthwhile entry into a "rock and roll" hall of fame ??

As a songwriter, performer and presence in the music world, Dylan is an all time great, no doubt

But where is the "rock and roll" ?? ... He fits the criteria less than Tupac

And this brings up an excellent point

For example, is Bob Dylan a worthwhile entry into a "rock and roll" hall of fame ??

As a songwriter, performer and presence in the music world, Dylan is an all time great, no doubt

But where is the "rock and roll" ?? ... He fits the criteria less than Tupac

Not at all. Go watch Don't Look Back. It documents Dylan's rock and roll attitude perfectly.

• Like 1

I'm okay with most of those, but I've always f***ing hated the J. Geils Band.

What is it about them that you hate?

Journey is nominated too I see. That would make Steve happy.

It would seem to me that The Cars, Yes and Journey would be givens but I suppose popularity obviously has nothing to do with it which seems to be a dichotomy even with just these three bands. Two are/were very popular with the masses and one really not so much yet none are in yet. I have ceased(and honestly probably never started) to even attempt to figure out what their criteria is. My time is more valuable to me than that... :codger:
  • Like 1

Way too goofy for my taste. Yeah if I was having a toga party circa 1979, I'd have em play. But their music is boring and unadventurous too me.

• Like 1

What is it about them that you hate?

Every song I've ever heard by them. Admittedly, I haven't heard most of their 70s material, but the band who made Freeze Frame and Love Stinks isn't one I'm delving into.

• Like 1

Except for Joan Baez and ELO, they're dragging the bottom of the barrel now.

No Yes?

No the Cars? No J. Geils Band?

Or Journey?

Depeche Mode is a well deserved consideration (finally). Still though...The Cure anyone?!

The Cure isn't in? What other band has had as profound of an influence on alternative and goth than the Cure? And lets not forget that Michael Smith saved the world by defeating Mecha Streisand. :)

112.jpg

• Like 2

It's so backwards. It's the same with Punk/ hardcore/ post Punk.. where is Husker du? The Replacements? The pixies? Sonic Youth? The Minuteman?

Is Television in?

:goodone: Bob Mould should be in for his influence on punk. Husker Du, Sugar, and his solo work. The man is amazing, and a tragically underrated guitarist.

All of those bands should have made the list before Jane's Addiction. :eyeroll: