Rush- Look to electronic music (EDM, House) for inspiration/ideas

GeminiRising79

e93d05b3588c1d718dc6ef2d9ed34350.jpg

so i was really p.o.'d when i got my paper back and u better believe i'll be going to talk to that professor. anyways i think for the party on sat i'll be able to pick you up and do you know what u r wearing yet? i'm thinking i'll bring a bottle of jack and get shitfaced man. so i'm just heading home now and i think maybe i'll order a pizza and maybe watch some tube later and o f**k i'm getting hit by a bus

My favorite is 4 zombie friends sitting in a restaurant into their tech and not talking to each other. There's a good chance that they're posting somewhere on social media about the awesome time they're having with their besties. In a few minutes they'll take food pics and group selfies then go back into their tech and ignore each other again. #bestiesfoodies #timeoflife #f***face

• Like 1

I see that everywhere every day every generation

It's tragic, really

I think the worst is at a restaurant, when I see a couple waiting for their food, each glued to their phone, oblivious of the other ..

:LOL:

Look up

on that note . .

I put a huge dual air horn system in my car

lol

Phones have hit the sidewalk, many many times

It's tragic, really

I think the worst is at a restaurant, when I see a couple waiting for their food, each glued to their phone, oblivious of the other ..

Look up

on that note . .

lol

I meant "Look up at my previous post because I mentioned restaurants just ONE minute after you posted"

• Like 1

It's tragic, really

Look up

on that note . .

lol

I meant "Look up at my previous post because I mentioned restaurants just ONE minute after you posted"

That just goes to show how universal this shit is

It's like that scene in Dawn Of the Dead, where our four main characters are flying over the landscape looking down :

Jesus, it's everywhere

Edited by Lucas

"traditional musical instruments" are being played in massive numbers today hundreds of years after they were introducd, and will continue to do so fur hundreds more.

Electronic "music" is but a tiny blip in the history of music thus far, and may or may not flourish, but certainly the track record for "traditional instruments" would suggest that they will be around for a long long time to come.

I mean, SOMEONE has to create the art that the DJ community can leech off of.

Sure, there will always be ppl who will play instruments. Just like those who still play board games, rather than computer games. Also, who thought electronic paddle shifters would cause the extinction of manual drive ones? Never wouldve believed my cars would have them. Would I ever go back to driving manual? Not a chance! (Ok, perhaps if I bought an old exotic!)

As far as electronic music being just a blip, you are mistaken. Electronic music has been around longer than Rush has, and will predominate most all genres of music from now til the end of time. Ive been listening to it with great interest since the mid-70s.

And, btw- historically-speaking, who in the music industry never stole or sampled music from other people? Each member of Rush certainly did!

I would go back to driving a stick the instant my car came with a manual transmission! (I almost didn't buy my Prius because it didn't have a stick.)

Sure, there will always be ppl who will play instruments. Just like those who still play board games, rather than computer games. Also, who thought electronic paddle shifters would cause the extinction of manual drive ones? Never wouldve believed my cars would have them. Would I ever go back to driving manual? Not a chance! (Ok, perhaps if I bought an old exotic!)

As far as electronic music being just a blip, you are mistaken. Electronic music has been around longer than Rush has, and will predominate most all genres of music from now til the end of time. Ive been listening to it with great interest since the mid-70s.

And, btw- historically-speaking, who in the music industry never stole or sampled music from other people? Each member of Rush certainly did!

Comparing musical instruments to board games or car gear is just ridiculous. Apples and oranges. You cannot do with electronic music what you can do with instruments, if they are emulated electronically it just sounds like crap. Electronic music cannot convey emotion and expression like instruments can, that's just a fact. It's dumb to even compare the two things and says volumes about your (lack of) musical expertise. And the notion that something is archaic and outdated just because it's not electronic/digital is one of the dumbest assertions of the modern age.

"Electronic music will predominate most all genres of music from now til the end of time"? That's funny because it doesn't even do so now, not by a long shot. Only mainstream music like electro pop and rap is dominated by electronic music. It seems your musical knowledge is limited to only very few genres if you make such hilariously untrue claims.

Musical instruments have been around for millenia and will be around forever. Electronic music has only been around for about 50 years or so, that's nothing in comparison. And in those years electronic music has mostly limited itself to the use of simple beats or other repeated sounds (and by that more or less just emulating instruments, not even doing anything original or innovative) for primitive mainstream music like electro pop, hip hop, techno, house etc. Only in a genre like ambient were the actual possibilities of electronic music really utilized to create something unique that you could not create with traditional instruments. Electronic sounds are widely used in mainstream music simply because it's cheap and easily accessible and doesn't require to learn to play an instrument or to properly record the instruments. Neither does it require much or any musical knowledge to produce most of such music. It's basically the fast food of music and therefore only a sign of our times. And times change.

Traditional musical instruments have been tapped out. There's nothing left to do that's innovative or different. Largely, its the end of the line for this modality of music production, imo.

Only for people for whom music is basically just a clinical collection or variation of sounds. For some people music is more about composition and/or emotion, and in that case nothing is ever going to be tapped out, except maybe the artist himself, but you can't blame the instruments for that.

Edited by Irenicus
  • Like 3

Neil's not going anywhere. All of you who believe this are being played. Its called marketing 101, ffs.

Looking toward electronic music isnt as preposterous as it seems. Fact is, imo, Rush is having difficulty producing music that is different, stirring, or interesting....again, imo. Certainly wouldnt hurt to explore the current stuff thats out there.

No doubt in my mind they can find fresh inspiration if they dig deep enough. Again, im not suggesting that they produce edm songs...just observe the dynamics of the music. I have listened to Rush and other rock acts since the mid-70s. Recently, I needed to move on from all of that because it has become stale to me, and many acts trying to produce have hit the wall musically. Electro music is invigorating and stirring....some of it is outstanding and deep, and im talking about the non-mainstream stuff.

If Rush are smart, they would consider any newer forms of music to take inspiration from (and electro or techno music has been going since the late 70s...ive been a follower of it since that time).

Well, Rush has been influenced by new wave and dance music in the past. Bringing in other ideas is nothing new to them. And Geddy and Alex may continue to be influenced by other genres in their future work. But Rush can't really be influenced by anything anymore since they no longer exist.

My only concern is that they're probably too unmotivated and tired of the beaten into the ground routine they've been on for decades. Geez, I can't even entertain the idea of watching people play musical instruments anymore...seems so archaic, bygone, im afraid to say :(

I know you think you're sounding edgy and plugged in by writing that but it's really just ridiculous.

Sorry, but that's your level of thinking, not mine. I am done with live instrumental performances. I just don't see the magic in it anymore. Feel like I've evolved out of it. Traditional musical instruments have been tapped out. There's nothing left to do that's innovative or different. Largely, its the end of the line for this modality of music production, imo.

If it wasn't for musicians how would DJs have anything to sample or spin?

What makes you think "DJs" aren't musicians? I think you don't understand the modern definition of "DJ", no disrespect intended.

maube you should enlighten us on what you think the modern definition of DJ is, no disrespect intended.

As far as electronic music being just a blip, you are mistaken. Electronic music has been around longer than Rush has, and will predominate most all genres of music from now til the end of time.

And then one day, someone will discover a forgotten guitar behind a waterfall. They pluck the strings, and can't believe the beautiful sounds it makes.

But the electronic rulers don't like it.

• Like 5

Comparing musical instruments to board games or car gear is just ridiculous. Apples and oranges. You cannot do with electronic music what you can do with instruments, if they are emulated electronically it just sounds like crap. Electronic music cannot convey emotion and exp<b></b>ression like instruments can, that's just a fact. It's dumb to even compare the two things and says volumes about your (lack of) musical expertise. And the notion that something is archaic and outdated just because it's not electronic/digital is one of the dumbest assertions of the modern age.

"Electronic music will predominate most all genres of music from now til the end of time"? That's funny because it doesn't even do so now, not by a long shot. Only mainstream music like electro pop and rap is dominated by electronic music. It seems your musical knowledge is limited to only very few genres if you make such hilariously untrue claims.

Musical instruments have been around for millenia and will be around forever. Electronic music has only been around for about 50 years or so, that's nothing in comparison. And in those years electronic music has mostly limited itself to the use of simple beats or other repeated sounds (and by that more or less just emulating instruments, not even doing anything original or innovative) for primitive mainstream music like electro pop, hip hop, techno, house etc. Only in a genre like ambient were the actual possibilities of electronic music really utilized to create something unique that you could not create with traditional instruments. Electronic sounds are widely used in mainstream music simply because it's cheap and easily accessible and doesn't require to learn to play an instrument or to properly record the instruments. Neither does it require much or any musical knowledge to produce most of such music. It's basically the fast food of music and therefore only a sign of our times. And times change.

Traditional musical instruments have been tapped out. There's nothing left to do that's innovative or different. Largely, its the end of the line for this modality of music production, imo.

Only for people for whom music is basically just a clinical collection or variation of sounds. For some people music is more about composition and/or emotion, and in that case nothing is ever going to be tapped out, except maybe the artist himself, but you can't blame the instruments for that.

Part of me believes that Gemini was pushing specific buttons to get the kind of reply that you wrote.

Part of me believes that Gemini was pushing specific buttons to get the kind of reply that you wrote.

Yeah I also thought that maybe he's just a troll, but probably not since a troll wouldn't usually put so much effort into it or would try to provoke more. I think he's just a delusional hipster. Pretty much every musical genre has them.

Edited by Irenicus

Yeah I also thought that maybe he's just a troll, but probably not since a troll wouldn't usually put so much effort into it or would try to provoke more. I think he's just a delusional hipster. Pretty much every musical genre has them.

Also, when someone becomes disillusioned with something (say, like traditional instruments) and first discovers something to replace that (say, like electronic music) they often think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and it can do no wrong. Meanwhile, there is a whole world of people who have been listening to electronic music for decades (raises hand) and who realize that it's really not all as great as it may seem at first glance, and definitely has its limitations.

So many generations have been tired of the status quo, musically, and search for "the next big thing." Those things are out there, and that's how we got genres like rock & roll, disco, drum & bass, hip hop, etc. But throughout all of this you know what is still popular and appreciated? Classical music. So yeah, there are new and different things out there, but none of them will "take over the world" and render previous music meaningless.

• Like 2

:facepalm:

C'mon Hemi, you really want a "My Favorite Headache Part II" ??

'cause you know that is highly likely if something new came out

I hate EDM and house and it's a bridge too far at this point. If anything, they could put a supergroup together with Al and Ged and at least be close to Rush.

Have you listened to Random Access Memories? Daft Punk changed my mind in a big way. That's flat out genius.
  • Like 5

Neil's not going anywhere. All of you who believe this are being played. Its called marketing 101, ffs.

Looking toward electronic music isnt as preposterous as it seems. Fact is, imo, Rush is having difficulty producing music that is different, stirring, or interesting....again, imo. Certainly wouldnt hurt to explore the current stuff thats out there.

No doubt in my mind they can find fresh inspiration if they dig deep enough. Again, im not suggesting that they produce edm songs...just observe the dynamics of the music. I have listened to Rush and other rock acts since the mid-70s. Recently, I needed to move on from all of that because it has become stale to me, and many acts trying to produce have hit the wall musically. Electro music is invigorating and stirring....some of it is outstanding and deep, and im talking about the non-mainstream stuff.

If Rush are smart, they would consider any newer forms of music to take inspiration from (and electro or techno music has been going since the late 70s...ive been a follower of it since that time).

Well, Rush has been influenced by new wave and dance music in the past. Bringing in other ideas is nothing new to them. And Geddy and Alex may continue to be influenced by other genres in their future work. But Rush can't really be influenced by anything anymore since they no longer exist.

My only concern is that they're probably too unmotivated and tired of the beaten into the ground routine they've been on for decades. Geez, I can't even entertain the idea of watching people play musical instruments anymore...seems so archaic, bygone, im afraid to say :(

If you look at it as "watching people play instruments", then yes, that might be tedious - now, or at any time

But what makes a live performance special and inspiring for me is the fact that I am part of it - and that the performer is not simply playing an instrument, but they are creating a moment and performing what could be considered a sort of communication, meant to inspire us ..

I know, this might sound rambling or corny ... but part of what makes a musician great is not simply what they can do, but what they can do for me ..

That's the way it's always been, even though I am realizing the magnitude of it more and more now

There's a certain surge or inspiration and electricity with live performances, and it shouldn't matter it a person is playing an instrument or not .... If they are doing something you connect with, that's what matters

I was walking through the park last month and saw three high school girls practicing koto. ((People regularly practice their instruments here as not to disturb anyone in their homes or their neighbors)). They weren't playing for money, they were just practicing. I stopped and stood and watched for a bit. They were totally into their instruments and each other. More people gathered. But the girls didn't stop. I'm not even sure what they were playing but it had a rock feel to it. It rocked that's for sure. When they were done, they looked up and seemed surprised by the 15 or so people that had stopped to listen with me. I clapped, said "Sugoi ((great))", and everyone else clapped (and seemed impressed and happy). One of the girls blushed but they all bowed and said thanks.

Honestly, those 5-10 minutes were better than any sequencer performance I've ever paid for. 3 girls playing koto in the park. Archaic? There's something to be said about the physicality behind musicianship.

20161013_125241.jpg

Seeing these performers was the highlight of my visit to Disney World. There's nothing like seeing really talented musicians up close...true craftsmen on their instruments. And you know what really blew me away? The sounds that the young lady could get from a single drum.

• Like 1

I hate EDM and house and it's a bridge too far at this point. If anything, they could put a supergroup together with Al and Ged and at least be close to Rush.

Have you listened to Random Access Memories? Daft Punk changed my mind in a big way. That's flat out genius.

:yes:
  • Like 1

If you look at it as "watching people play instruments", then yes, that might be tedious - now, or at any time

But what makes a live performance special and inspiring for me is the fact that I am part of it - and that the performer is not simply playing an instrument, but they are creating a moment and performing what could be considered a sort of communication, meant to inspire us ..

I know, this might sound rambling or corny ... but part of what makes a musician great is not simply what they can do, but what they can do for me ..

That's the way it's always been, even though I am realizing the magnitude of it more and more now

There's a certain surge or inspiration and electricity with live performances, and it shouldn't matter it a person is playing an instrument or not .... If they are doing something you connect with, that's what matters

I was walking through the park last month and saw three high school girls practicing koto. ((People regularly practice their instruments here as not to disturb anyone in their homes or their neighbors)). They weren't playing for money, they were just practicing. I stopped and stood and watched for a bit. They were totally into their instruments and each other. More people gathered. But the girls didn't stop. I'm not even sure what they were playing but it had a rock feel to it. It rocked that's for sure. When they were done, they looked up and seemed surprised by the 15 or so people that had stopped to listen with me. I clapped, said "Sugoi ((great))", and everyone else clapped (and seemed impressed and happy). One of the girls blushed but they all bowed and said thanks.

Honestly, those 5-10 minutes were better than any sequencer performance I've ever paid for. 3 girls playing koto in the park. Archaic? There's something to be said about the physicality behind musicianship.

20161013_125241.jpg

Seeing these performers was the highlight of my visit to Disney World. There's nothing like seeing really talented musicians up close...true craftsmen on their instruments. And you know what really blew me away? The sounds that the young lady could get from a single drum.

I believe it. I've seen plenty of random musicians in Disney that have stunned me too. :yes:

• Like 1

This track is just amazing. Freaking awesome. I could listen to this albu, over and over again

[/media]

It reminds me, in a weird way of this song, by Jack White and Loretta Lynn

[/media] Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

This track is just amazing. Freaking awesome. I could listen to this albu, over and over again

[/media]

[/media]

I've got nothing but love for both those albums

• Like 1

That is a great album.

• Like 1

That is a great album.

It's archaic.

I've evolved since its release.

:P

• Like 1

Rush came as close to EDM as I'd like from Signals thru Hold Your Fire. Personally if Rush were to continue, I'd prefer they loose the keyboards, triggers, samples etc. Just guitar, bass, drums and vocals.
  • Like 2

Rush came as close to EDM as I'd like from Signals thru Hold Your Fire. Personally if Rush were to continue, I'd prefer they loose the keyboards, triggers, samples etc. Just guitar, bass, drums and vocals.

The D stands for dance. I'm not dancing to anything from those albums

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhl-Cs1-sG4&list=PLDGvrCyjfEatTU8RGi1lNZ5KB75bq6KRV&index=3[/media]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgOjLi_RYAM[/media]

I've got nothing but love for both those albums

HOw dude man. Surprised to find another person who digs the Van Lear Rose album on this forum. Jack White and LL made a masterpiece record. I tried to get Treeduck to listen to it, but......
  • Like 1

One thing I don't recall seeing mentioned in this thread is the fact that Rush WAS influenced by electronic music in the past. It's no secret how they got to that sound on Signals and the following few albums - they listened to a lot of modern (at the time) electronic music. In his latest book, Neil mentions that he/they were listening to a lot of dance music during the 80s, and they pulled inspiration from that.
  • Like 1