What is it about Rush that made you stick with the band through thick and thin?

Lorraine

I've been watching an interview that Rhyv posted in the Gush thread (https://www.youtube....ayer_detailpage). In the interview, Geddy and Alex talk about how hard it was for them to get it together after not playing as a band for almost five years. Then, they are asked about their fan base, and Geddy's answer prompted this thread which, I suppose, is mostly for veteran Rush fans although anyone can throw in their two cents.

What is it about Rush that you love so much that has made you stand by and stick with them for forty plus decades, and has caused so many of you to spend any amount of money, and travel any distance, just so you could see them live?

:popcorn:

I'm crawling out of my Rush Cave for this one.

As it is true I have ripped "Vapor Trails" in the past when it came out I was so excited! Just like a little boy getting his first KISS album under the Christmas tree in 1976!

The waiting during Neil's well need sabbatical from the band was very thin for me.

The "Test For Echo" album was thin for me too, but it blows "VAPOR" away.

Anyway, I was one of the forum members on here who couldn't get enough of "Snakes And Arrows."

I hate the Clockwork Angels lame ass orchestra in their stupid black and gold logo shirts designed by Neil himself. So dumb.

I even remember buying "Signals" on cassette when it came on on new release day at Rainbow Records.

I was so upset about the lack of guitar parts I cried.

Alas, I learned to love that record.

The synth years were great.

I love every record. PERFECT.

So that being said. There isn't one band on Mother Earth who can remain perfect and consistent through their temporary life span. To remain "immortal for a limited time" in the studio is more probable.

RUSH IS THE GREATEST FUCKKING BAND EVER CREATED!

THROUGH THICK OR THIN

THROUGH SAINT OR SIN

THROUGH THE CAMERA EYE

I SHALL NEVER LIE!!!!!!!!!

RUSH FUCKKING RULES!

FAIR-WEATHER FANS PLEASE "EXIT STAGE LEFT" FUCKKING PRONTO.

ADIOS POSERS!

I'm proud to say on a public forum that I spent a ton of money on MY BAND.

I toured the nation over 30 years to see MY BAND.

Don't give a shit.

I couldn't wait for any new release by MY BAND. Couldn't wait to hear Neil's drumming! I was so excited to see the new art work. To hold it in my hand and embrace it.

To sit in my car in the Tower Records parking lot after midnight and blast it!!!!

Mesmerized. Tears in my eyes. Bliss. Like a first kiss. Fireworks. The sensation in my gut forever would lurk.

I'm so glad I'm 48.

So glad I had my Tower Records.

So glad I was able to spend the night in line at Tower Records or The Wherehouse to get my Rush tickets.

You fuckking kids who read my blather and banter have no clue.

To me that is sad.

But life goes on.

Thick and Thin?

No way man.

Together I will stand for MY BAND.

You guys and gals continue to write stupid threads about OUR BAND.

Dumb.

But good luck.

RUSH RULES FOREVERMORE!

Quoth the raven NEVERMORE.

Edgar Allan Poe?

Fukk man,

I'm "LOSING IT!"

Earl, go back into your cave.

WOW! A rude comment from you? Of all people on here. Umm, you aren't my mommy or a mod. Plato's Cave would be a wonderful place for you "Old And Wise" one. Alan Parsons

Earl, seriously, WTF ??

Is it so hard express your love for a band without first insulting everyone here, and then, like some spoiled brat who gets smacked in the mouth with one sentence, turn and attempt to insult one of the best people here in Lorraine ??

Passion is one thing, but going around like some pet rabbit who craps all over the place, leaving this angry little trail is quite another ..

• Like 3

Another point is that i have seen rush many times and i like how they do set lists. Always a good mix of classics and the new release they were touring

You're right! They balance their songs and "eras". And there's always a way to be sympathetic to the audience.

Sometimes it's not clear, but they respect fans, on their own way.

• Like 1

I've been watching an interview that Rhyv posted in the Gush thread (https://www.youtube....ayer_detailpage). In the interview, Geddy and Alex talk about how hard it was for them to get it together after not playing as a band for almost five years. Then, they are asked about their fan base, and Geddy's answer prompted this thread which, I suppose, is mostly for veteran Rush fans although anyone can throw in their two cents.

What is it about Rush that you love so much that has made you stand by and stick with them for forty plus decades, and has caused so many of you to spend any amount of money, and travel any distance, just so you could see them live?

As it is true I have ripped "Vapor Trails" in the past when it came out I was so excited! Just like a little boy getting his first KISS album under the Christmas tree in 1976!

The waiting during Neil's well need sabbatical from the band was very thin for me.

Anyway, I was one of the forum members on here who couldn't get enough of "Snakes And Arrows."

I hate the Clockwork Angels lame ass orchestra in their stupid black and gold logo shirts designed by Neil himself. So dumb.

I even remember buying "Signals" on cassette when it came on on new release day at Rainbow Records.

So that being said. There isn't one band on Mother Earth who can remain perfect and consistent through their temporary life span. To remain "immortal for a limited time" in the studio is more probable.

THROUGH THICK OR THIN

THROUGH SAINT OR SIN

THROUGH THE CAMERA EYE

RUSH FUCKKING RULES!

ADIOS POSERS!

Don't give a shit.

I couldn't wait for any new release by MY BAND. Couldn't wait to hear Neil's drumming! I was so excited to see the new art work. To hold it in my hand and embrace it.

To sit in my car in the Tower Records parking lot after midnight and blast it!!!!

Mesmerized. Tears in my eyes. Bliss. Like a first kiss. Fireworks. The sensation in my gut forever would lurk.

I'm so glad I'm 48.

So glad I was able to spend the night in line at Tower Records or The Wherehouse to get my Rush tickets.

To me that is sad.

But life goes on.

Thick and Thin?

No way man.

Dumb.

But good luck.

RUSH RULES FOREVERMORE!

Edgar Allan Poe?

Fukk man,

I'm "LOSING IT!"

WOW! A rude comment from you? Of all people on here. Umm, you aren't my mommy or a mod. Plato's Cave would be a wonderful place for you "Old And Wise" one. Alan Parsons

:LOL:

Yes, Earl.

:moon:

Alex Lifeson is a hack.

Neil Peart is overrated and can't swing.

Geddy is one of the biggest egotistical testicles on the planet Earth!

"Vapor Trails" is their best album!

"Tom Sawyer" is their greatest song of all time!!!!

Through thick or thin.

The losers always win.

Keep typing about the same old shit

And maybe some year Rush will write another hit.

Until then it's the same old song.

Suck that beer and smoke that bong

Get in line and wait to see,

Don't hold your fire

Don't hold your breath,

Set yourselves free.

Another life, another death,

The music will go on for eternity.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Alex Lifeson is a hack.

Through thick or thin.

The losers always win.

Don't hold your fire

Don't hold your breath,

Set yourselves free.

You're bored aren't you Earl?

Yeah, me too occasionally.

Alex Lifeson is a hack.

Through thick or thin.

The losers always win.

Don't hold your fire

Don't hold your breath,

Set yourselves free.

You're bored aren't you Earl?

Yeah, me too occasionally.

Oh man, you see? You are one of the very few who get me!

Yes! I'm bored!!!

I'm watching "The Purge Election Year" and it's just a waste of time.

So I wrote a simple poem on here that is deep with a hint of rhyme.

Perhaps it's true. I don't know.

But being single and alone isn't fun but at least I'm free!

You are a good dude JB.

Hope to meet you some year.

Some prefer "Lock And Key" by Rush.

I will go with "Under Lock And Key" by DOKKEN!

Signed,

"THE HUNTER"

I didn't. I was so friggin' pissed when they replaced Jeff Jones with Geddy Lee (Geddy Lee!?!?!), I swore I'd never listen to another note. But then their first album came out and I was blown away. Especially by the drumming. So, as you might imagine, when I went to the first live show in support of the debut album, I recognized immediately that the geek behind the drums was not John Rutsey. I was soooo pissed! The dude even tried some lame solo with cow bell (cow bell!?!?) I swore I'd never listen to another note. Then this happened and the rest is history:

http://youtu.be/n2xalTqiQ-g

• Like 2

Seriously, though: from the first buzz of 2112 — which was two years old when I bought it as my first Rush album — to the first notes of Permanent Waves — my first new album and concert — the hammer-on arpeggio of TSoR was so otherworldly that it just doesn't sound the same as it did that first year or so, though the song is still great, the album better. Waves set the tone for something that would challenge my notion of music, with each subsequent album a greater challenge: recall Moving Pictures was a tad strange at the time, then Signals I found amazing, nobody else I knew liked it. Don't even get me started on p/g, my first front row concert experience. Neil had definitely moved on from cow bell!

Power Windows was probably my first emotional connection. Helped me through a distance relationship. Then Hold Your Fire's "some of them burned on our ceilings, some of them learned as a child" dug deeper. I was looking out the window. I don't know how anybody could separate themselves from that kind of connection. Even that was 29 years ago!

I like some of the comments from younger fans for whom the first album was something in the 90s or 2000s. Blows me away.

• Like 2

THROUGH THICK OR THIN

THROUGH SAINT OR SIN

THROUGH THE CAMERA EYE

RUSH FUCKKING RULES!

ADIOS POSERS!

Don't give a shit.

I'm so glad I'm 48.

To me that is sad.

But life goes on.

Thick and Thin?

No way man.

Dumb.

But good luck.

RUSH RULES FOREVERMORE!

Edgar Allan Poe?

Fukk man,

I'm "LOSING IT!"

Yes, Earl.

Stay classy! :)

• Like 1

I didn't. I was so friggin' pissed when they replaced Jeff Jones with Geddy Lee (Geddy Lee!?!?!), I swore I'd never listen to another note. But then their first album came out and I was blown away. Especially by the drumming. So, as you might imagine, when I went to the first live show in support of the debut album, I recognized immediately that the geek behind the drums was not John Rutsey. I was soooo pissed! The dude even tried some lame solo with cow bell (cow bell!?!?) I swore I'd never listen to another note. Then this happened and the rest is history:

Jeff Jones —John Paul Jones.

They were ripping off Zeppelin right out of the gate!

• Like 1

:wub:

I'm a 'new' Rush fan since mid 80s so I can't answer for a 40+ years of deep love but in my experience I simply can't find a better band!

Geezer, I think you qualify. I'm not qualified to answer my own question which is why I am asking other long time fans.

Edited by Lorraine

THROUGH THICK OR THIN

THROUGH SAINT OR SIN

THROUGH THE CAMERA EYE

RUSH FUCKKING RULES!

ADIOS POSERS!

Don't give a shit.

I'm so glad I'm 48.

To me that is sad.

But life goes on.

Thick and Thin?

No way man.

Dumb.

But good luck.

RUSH RULES FOREVERMORE!

Edgar Allan Poe?

Fukk man,

I'm "LOSING IT!"

Yes, Earl.

Stay classy! :)

"Stay Classy San Diego!"

Love,

Ron Burgundy

their music/lyrics along with the general presentation of the band and packaging of their product etc was just serious shit to me, a proper deep outfit for serious thinkers that in no way was pretentious, everything slipping into its own natural perfect groove note by note word by word these guys were demi gods to me much more than a rock band i can listen to permanent waves today after a zillion plays and still think was delivered from a different world to ours.
  • Like 1

I didn't care much for a lot of the material since Counterparts.....that album was at parts lyrically cheesy and took itself too seriously....TFE was like eating a bowl of half melted vanilla ice cream....Vapor Trails is still the most un-Rush like Rush album, too harsh and intense....Snakes was boring and preachy past Far Cry. But yet I never ever considered that I wasn't going to be a fan anymore. I just picked out and enjoyed what i did like from the albums and moved on from there. I also like plenty of other bands besides Rush so it wasn't like a weird obsessive "this album isn't perfect so I can't love you anymore" scenario.

Seriously, though: from the first buzz of 2112 — which was two years old when I bought it as my first Rush album — to the first notes of Permanent Waves — my first new album and concert — the hammer-on arpeggio of TSoR was so otherworldly that it just doesn't sound the same as it did that first year or so, though the song is still great, the album better. Waves set the tone for something that would challenge my notion of music, with each subsequent album a greater challenge: recall Moving Pictures was a tad strange at the time, then Signals I found amazing, nobody else I knew liked it. Don't even get me started on p/g, my first front row concert experience. Neil had definitely moved on from cow bell!

Power Windows was probably my first emotional connection. Helped me through a distance relationship. Then Hold Your Fire's "some of them burned on our ceilings, some of them learned as a child" dug deeper. I was looking out the window. I don't know how anybody could separate themselves from that kind of connection. Even that was 29 years ago!

I like some of the comments from younger fans for whom the first album was something in the 90s or 2000s. Blows me away.

Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are excellent recordings that unite techniques and emotion. To create this sound and environment there's a lot of work.

I do appreciate these albums too.

I appreciate your both posts.

You shared an interesting story. :hi:

:rush: :cheers:

• Like 1

Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are excellent recordings that unite techniques and emotion. To create this sound and environment there's a lot of work.

I do appreciate these albums too.

I appreciate your both posts.

You shared an interesting story. :hi:

:rush: :cheers:

Thanks. I loved your story, too.