What is it about Rush that made you stick with the band through thick and thin?

Lorraine

Not sure how to describe it exactly

But one of the reasons is i never really get sick of hearing the songs . This is unusual for me, as many of my other favorite bands i often take realky long breaks from sometimes. As others have said alot of memories also.

• Like 3

To put it simply: RUSH earned my absolute trust.

Whenever they released a new album, I bought it without hesitation, as I knew that it would blow me away. Their commitment to musical creativity guaranteed that every new album would be an exciting adventure. I never worried about the new album and if it would be good or bad.

Also, their style of rock music has appealed to me like that of no other band. It thrills me down to my bone marrow ..... :haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 3

Rush lit the fire that made me realize the difference between "self" and "selfish", and that there is no world without me in it ... That type of thing goes beyond music, and obviously, is part of the foundation of my life ..

Plus, they were the first band I heard who used the word "asunder", which appealed to me as a kid :D

In my book, they are forever bonded with my other favorite band, both of who were enormous inspirations to be myself

The music is incredible to boot

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 7

I'm not sure there is a cut and dried answer to that question. I can list the things that have kept me around.

Their music is different than any other band out there. It has an indefinable quality to it. Intelligent lyrics, awesome musicianship, and three musicians that stuck to their guns and played what they wanted and never really fell into the top 40 trap. I also agree about them being nice people. Even back in the early days before we really knew much about them you could tell that they were just three sort of geeky, nerdy guys who loved to play music.

Can you think of any other band that you can say the same thing about, including the fact that they seem to be genuinely nice human beings?

I don't know. I was never really into any other band like I was them. Other bands seemed more superficial.

I can't think of any other band that has made people curious about and look up information in literature and about space physics, mythology and psychology.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 4

I admit I didn't stick with them from PoW through the '90s, but I came back to them because they were/are just too good to ignore.
  • Like 4

I'm a young fan, and it hasn't even been a year since I got into Rush, but here's something that appealed to me personally: the clarity of their progression. Every album sounds and feels different, so even though there are some eras which are preferred, I am always able to choose a few songs from each album which I really like.

Again, the clarity of the themes, the musicianship, and the fact that the music exists on its own, without being accentuated by this larger-than-life rockstardom which has, let's face it, catapulted less interesting music into popularity. People are often interested in the image and the life of the musicians in a band (including me!!), but after this fascination dies out usually the music goes with it. Rush generally have interesting things to communicate and pretty vivid experiences, aided by the fact that they touch on a different aspect of humanity than typical rock music. They seem to satisfy a social niche that no other band can quite do as convincingly.

• Like 4

I'm not sure there is a cut and dried answer to that question. I can list the things that have kept me around.

Their music is different than any other band out there. It has an indefinable quality to it. Intelligent lyrics, awesome musicianship, and three musicians that stuck to their guns and played what they wanted and never really fell into the top 40 trap. I also agree about them being nice people. Even back in the early days before we really knew much about them you could tell that they were just three sort of geeky, nerdy guys who loved to play music.

Can you think of any other band that you can say the same thing about, including the fact that they seem to be genuinely nice human beings?

I can think of many, if we look to bands that are underground...BUT when it comes to bands of Rush's level in terms of success and fame and respect: none.

Maybe Foo Fighters.

• Like 1

I'm a young fan, and it hasn't even been a year since I got into Rush, but here's something that appealed to me personally: the clarity of their progression. Every album sounds and feels different, so even though there are some eras which are preferred, I am always able to choose a few songs from each album which I really like.

Again, the clarity of the themes, the musicianship, and the fact that the music exists on its own, without being accentuated by this larger-than-life rockstardom which has, let's face it, catapulted less interesting music into popularity. People are often interested in the image and the life of the musicians in a band (including me!!), but after this fascination dies out usually the music goes with it. Rush generally have interesting things to communicate and pretty vivid experiences, aided by the fact that they touch on a different aspect of humanity than typical rock music. They seem to satisfy a social niche that no other band can quite do as convincingly.

I don't quite know how you do it but you have a knack of putting into words what I often feel regarding things like this.

Its like you paint with words as well as with a brush.

Very articulate and everything you just wrote is how I have felt about them pretty much since day one.

• Like 2

I don't quite know how you do it but you have a knack of putting into words what I often feel regarding things like this.

Its like you paint with words as well as with a brush.

Very articulate and everything you just wrote is how I have felt about them pretty much since day one.

The familiarity in which Rush fans communicate and relate with thoughts and emotions may also be a factor in why they tend to be a pretty nice band. :)

• Like 1

I've been watching an interview that Rhyv posted in the Gush thread (https://www.youtube....ayer_detailpage). In the interview, Geddy and Alex talk about how hard it was for them to get it together after not playing as a band for almost five years. Then, they are asked about their fan base, and Geddy's answer prompted this thread which, I suppose, is mostly for veteran Rush fans although anyone can throw in their two cents.

What is it about Rush that you love so much that has made you stand by and stick with them for forty plus decades, and has caused so many of you to spend any amount of money, and travel any distance, just so you could see them live?

:popcorn:

I'm crawling out of my Rush Cave for this one.

As it is true I have ripped "Vapor Trails" in the past when it came out I was so excited! Just like a little boy getting his first KISS album under the Christmas tree in 1976!

The waiting during Neil's well need sabbatical from the band was very thin for me.

The "Test For Echo" album was thin for me too, but it blows "VAPOR" away.

Anyway, I was one of the forum members on here who couldn't get enough of "Snakes And Arrows."

I hate the Clockwork Angels lame ass orchestra in their stupid black and gold logo shirts designed by Neil himself. So dumb.

I even remember buying "Signals" on cassette when it came on on new release day at Rainbow Records.

I was so upset about the lack of guitar parts I cried.

Alas, I learned to love that record.

The synth years were great.

I love every record. PERFECT.

So that being said. There isn't one band on Mother Earth who can remain perfect and consistent through their temporary life span. To remain "immortal for a limited time" in the studio is more probable.

RUSH IS THE GREATEST FUCKKING BAND EVER CREATED!

THROUGH THICK OR THIN

THROUGH SAINT OR SIN

THROUGH THE CAMERA EYE

I SHALL NEVER LIE!!!!!!!!!

RUSH FUCKKING RULES!

FAIR-WEATHER FANS PLEASE "EXIT STAGE LEFT" FUCKKING PRONTO.

ADIOS POSERS!

I'm proud to say on a public forum that I spent a ton of money on MY BAND.

I toured the nation over 30 years to see MY BAND.

Don't give a shit.

I couldn't wait for any new release by MY BAND. Couldn't wait to hear Neil's drumming! I was so excited to see the new art work. To hold it in my hand and embrace it.

To sit in my car in the Tower Records parking lot after midnight and blast it!!!!

Mesmerized. Tears in my eyes. Bliss. Like a first kiss. Fireworks. The sensation in my gut forever would lurk.

I'm so glad I'm 48.

So glad I had my Tower Records.

So glad I was able to spend the night in line at Tower Records or The Wherehouse to get my Rush tickets.

You fuckking kids who read my blather and banter have no clue.

To me that is sad.

But life goes on.

Thick and Thin?

No way man.

Together I will stand for MY BAND.

You guys and gals continue to write stupid threads about OUR BAND.

Dumb.

But good luck.

RUSH RULES FOREVERMORE!

Quoth the raven NEVERMORE.

Edgar Allan Poe?

Fukk man,

I'm "LOSING IT!"

• Like 1

I can think of many, if we look to bands that are underground...BUT when it comes to bands of Rush's level in terms of success and fame and respect: none.

Maybe Foo Fighters.

Lacuna Coil and Nightwishish suck my bunghole.

I would rather listen to screeching nails scratch my seething soul.

FOOL FIGHTERS SUCK!

The only reason I'm giving them a pass is because they are real Rush fans.

Unlike many fools who type on here.

I love and respect the real Rush fan on this Board.

To the posers? BEAT IT!

Love,

Michael Jackoffson

Yeah I know...

I'm "OFF THE WALL."

So?

"Being Boring" sucks too.

PET SHOP BOYS BABY!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Thick or Thin?

Well thank goodness "I Think I'm Going Bald" is not in my reality.

Still thick baby.

Still laying it on quite thick on this Forum too.

"Some Guys Have All The Luck"

Signed,

Rod Stewart

Rod- You are now "Sir Rod" ! or "Sir Roderick Stewart" ! You got knighted by Prince William yesterday. And you have been busy! I didn't realize it, but one of the articles about the knighting said you have eight kids now. Soon you will have your own football team!

http://www.bbc.com/n...t-arts-37618288

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3832394/Rod-Stewart-joined-statuesque-wife-Penny-Lancaster-two-children-receives-Knighthood-services-music-charity.html

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

They are just a magic band that make awesome music and seems to enjoy it both live and studio. So no reason to leave.

Magic is right!

There are so very few bands who can conjure that kind of thing. But Rush really is that way.

• Like 1

They are just a magic band that make awesome music and seems to enjoy it both live and studio. So no reason to leave.

Magic is right!

There are so very few bands who can conjure that kind of thing. But Rush really is that way.

Those seventies albums in particular have a timeless magic...I sense it all the way up to MP. After that the quality doesn't dip for me, it just shifts gear.

A large part I think is Alex was really dominant on those albums. Synth era was great but I still find he gets way too lost in the mix. (Especially Signals).

I've been watching an interview that Rhyv posted in the Gush thread (https://www.youtube....ayer_detailpage). In the interview, Geddy and Alex talk about how hard it was for them to get it together after not playing as a band for almost five years. Then, they are asked about their fan base, and Geddy's answer prompted this thread which, I suppose, is mostly for veteran Rush fans although anyone can throw in their two cents.

What is it about Rush that you love so much that has made you stand by and stick with them for forty plus decades, and has caused so many of you to spend any amount of money, and travel any distance, just so you could see them live?

:popcorn:

I'm crawling out of my Rush Cave for this one.

As it is true I have ripped "Vapor Trails" in the past when it came out I was so excited! Just like a little boy getting his first KISS album under the Christmas tree in 1976!

The waiting during Neil's well need sabbatical from the band was very thin for me.

The "Test For Echo" album was thin for me too, but it blows "VAPOR" away.

Anyway, I was one of the forum members on here who couldn't get enough of "Snakes And Arrows."

I hate the Clockwork Angels lame ass orchestra in their stupid black and gold logo shirts designed by Neil himself. So dumb.

I even remember buying "Signals" on cassette when it came on on new release day at Rainbow Records.

I was so upset about the lack of guitar parts I cried.

Alas, I learned to love that record.

The synth years were great.

I love every record. PERFECT.

So that being said. There isn't one band on Mother Earth who can remain perfect and consistent through their temporary life span. To remain "immortal for a limited time" in the studio is more probable.

RUSH IS THE GREATEST FUCKKING BAND EVER CREATED!

THROUGH THICK OR THIN

THROUGH SAINT OR SIN

THROUGH THE CAMERA EYE

I SHALL NEVER LIE!!!!!!!!!

RUSH FUCKKING RULES!

FAIR-WEATHER FANS PLEASE "EXIT STAGE LEFT" FUCKKING PRONTO.

ADIOS POSERS!

I'm proud to say on a public forum that I spent a ton of money on MY BAND.

I toured the nation over 30 years to see MY BAND.

Don't give a shit.

I couldn't wait for any new release by MY BAND. Couldn't wait to hear Neil's drumming! I was so excited to see the new art work. To hold it in my hand and embrace it.

To sit in my car in the Tower Records parking lot after midnight and blast it!!!!

Mesmerized. Tears in my eyes. Bliss. Like a first kiss. Fireworks. The sensation in my gut forever would lurk.

I'm so glad I'm 48.

So glad I had my Tower Records.

So glad I was able to spend the night in line at Tower Records or The Wherehouse to get my Rush tickets.

You fuckking kids who read my blather and banter have no clue.

To me that is sad.

But life goes on.

Thick and Thin?

No way man.

Together I will stand for MY BAND.

You guys and gals continue to write stupid threads about OUR BAND.

Dumb.

But good luck.

RUSH RULES FOREVERMORE!

Quoth the raven NEVERMORE.

Edgar Allan Poe?

Fukk man,

I'm "LOSING IT!"

Earl, go back into your cave.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Maybe Foo Fighters.

Foo Fighters are one of the only bands I can think of that are really successful, put out good music and are really nice guys. But they lack that creativity spark that Rush has. Also none of them stand out as skilled enough musicians in their own right. I guess that's what makes Rush different because they have the drive, skill, the creativity and the right combo of personalities to make it long term.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Maybe Foo Fighters.

Foo Fighters are one of the only bands I can think of that are really successful, put out good music and are really nice guys. But they lack that creativity spark that Rush has. Also none of them stand out as skilled enough musicians in their own right. I guess that's what makes Rush different because they have the drive, skill, the creativity and the right combo of personalities to make it long term.

I agree, but I was just referring to the nice guy factor. And Foo Fighters are bigger than Rush for whatever reason which makes their down to earth nature even more endearing!

Maybe Foo Fighters.

I agree, but I was just referring to the nice guy factor. And Foo Fighters are bigger than Rush for whatever reason which makes their down to earth nature even more endearing!

I think that's entirely due to Dave Grohl being such a great frontman to the group and also it seems like he's everywhere these days.

Great topic!!!

So, sticking with Rush all these years is a result of so many things. First it was that spring of '76 when I first heard the commercials for "2112" on Chum-FM in Toronto, and then finally hearing the album a few weeks later and thinking the martians had landed - hence, my RushForum handle "Alieninvasion76". It became such a monumental part of my teen memory!! And then this epic, prog-metal pioneering flourished for the next few albums, thus ensuring that they'd be an enduring part of my listening library forever, regardless of whatever else they did afterward!!

By this point, the more they became successful in their own right, the more they became one of those "ya either love 'em or hate 'em" kinds of bands. So, that in itself, made the attachment you had to them feel all the stronger. Even after the 4 times-platinum success of "Moving Pictures", I still found myself often defending them, especially as I was still loving what they were doing at that time, right up to, and including, "Signals"!

Then, after "Signals" when they started to lose a bit of their edge and joined the keyboard laden style that was characteristic of 80's music, I admittedly, at the time, kept waiting for them to get back to that more "kick ass" approach, and hence looked forward to each new album with eager anticipation but, alas, while they teased us with a little more "ummph" with "Presto" and "Roll the Bones", it wasn't until "Counterparts" that, for me at least, they fully returned to their hard rocking form. The 80's mellowing however didn't dampen my enthusiasm for turning up the volume when those, now iconic, 80's Rush videos came on TV. Nor did it deter me from attending the concert on their Toronto stop at Maple Leaf Gardens for their "Hold Your Fire" tour!! And I've since come to appreciate much more some of that synth-laden stuff!

Now, admittedly, they may have been destined to be a life-long sentimental favourite to some degree regardless because they're Canadian (not to mention from my hometown of Toronto to boot), but there's a lot of successful Canuck artists, none of which defined a whole genre in the way that Rush did. And Canadians and non-Canadians alike have to be super-impressed and proud that this band, after the tragedy ridden 5 year hiatus, came back strong and revitalized in 2002, after which they continued to sell out arenas for another 13 years, and went on to record two of their biggest chart topping albums in "Snakes and Arrows", which I still continue to discover new gems within, and "Clockwork Angels", which is a masterpiece in its own right, and I still can't get over how they found another gear like that so late in their career ... and all of this after 35+ years of already kicking so much ass!!!!

So, I guess, that's the kind of band people stick with for the long haul!! What's not to love, eh?

Edited by alieninvasion76
  • Like 3

I got into Rush (1978 Hemispheres)when my favourite band Led Zep were starting to run out of steam.To me there seemed to be a lasting quality about them not some throway fad music.Each album has always kept me guessing about what's next.Also its just been the same three guys except for John Rutsey(RIP).Brilliant musicians,albums with thought provoking lyrics,no wimpy love songs,geeky,nerdy muso types.Also they have never yelled f*ck you in a song.
  • Like 1