What is it about Rush that made you stick with the band through thick and thin?

Lorraine

I've been watching an interview that Rhyv posted in the Gush thread (https://www.youtube....ayer_detailpage). In the interview, Geddy and Alex talk about how hard it was for them to get it together after not playing as a band for almost five years. Then, they are asked about their fan base, and Geddy's answer prompted this thread which, I suppose, is mostly for veteran Rush fans although anyone can throw in their two cents.

What is it about Rush that you love so much that has made you stand by and stick with them for forty plus decades, and has caused so many of you to spend any amount of money, and travel any distance, just so you could see them live?

:popcorn:

• Like 4

They never got crappy. After 40 years of music a fan can inducate a low point but even their low point is good music. They never became douchebags not even Neil.
  • Like 8

After being completely, utterly, and in all other ways blown away by everything produced during the Era of Rush Majesty, I knew with new albums I wouldn't have to listen long to hear some amazing musicianship. Back then (late 70s/early 80s), it wasn't easy for me to get access to articles about Rush, yet their personalities seemed very clear to me because of things like quirky liner notes. They just seemed cool - nerdy in some ways, if you like, but cool nonetheless. I loved the lyrics, the artwork, everything about their albums. Seeing them live impressed me even more.

There were times when I was massively disappointed (*coughrollthebonescough*) but I could still usually find enough to like.

If Rush were a toy, they'd be Lego. All the other toys you get sick of, but you always go back to the endless possibilities of Lego.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 8

1)They are pure quality not based on the fashion of the day.

2)Their music is varied enough to be interesting even after 40+ years.

3) They seem like really nice guys.

• Like 9

#3 has me puzzled more than anything else - how they have been able to stay that way when so many others in their profession turn into colossal jerks.

#3 has me puzzled more than anything else - how they have been able to stay that way when so many others in their profession turn into colossal jerks.

I don't know. Maybe because it is underpinned by genuine friendship and love of making music together.
  • Like 3

I still get a feeling of awe from the music as when I first discovered them. Their integrity and dedication is amazing and inspiring. I'm loyal to this band and always will be.
  • Like 7

Alex said in that interview that at the first show of the VT tour, he and Geddy were not so sure how Rush would be received after so many years gone, but he looked out at the fans sitting in the first couple or so of rows and saw many of them crying when they came out on stage and started playing. He said it made him get a lump in his own throat to think that Rush meant so much to people. Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 4

:rush:

What makes me love the band was a true passion about their beautiful and technically developed music since I listened to their music for the first time, during my teen days.

- 2002 -

Nobody was expecting their tour in Brazil. I didn't know about it, till read an announcement on the street:

"Rush

November 22

Morumbi - São Paulo"

I was inside the bus, coming back home after a whole work and study day. I got happy and energetic instantly and the first thing I did was calling someone to say it!

It was a bit difficult to get my ticket. I had almost no money, but an student pass that allowed me to pay cheaper. ;P

I didn't know exactly where to buy it, because at that time it was impossible for me to buy on the internet.

It took me a long ride to arrive at the right place to purchase it, I got lost and had to come back.

When I arrived, all seats were almost sold out, the only place I found was called Blue Stands.

At that time I was living in hometown and travelled three hours to see Rush. We were in 15 people, from different sides of the town, were late, got stucked in bad traffic and it was raining a bit.

Although everything worked right and we entered the stadium to see a beloved band play.

The place was half empty, half full. I found my seat, which was good with a great space between me and my next one.

I had binoculars on my hands. The place was far from stage... but fine, it was RUSH!!!

I found three other guys close to me. They were from Sao Paolo and played music. When I said where I came from, they were mouth oppened due my travel to see the band.

We started the concert before The Power Trio show us their hands and music.

We all waved to each other on opposite sides of that stadium. And we screamed to each other "Back!" -- to return the wave movement made with our arms. Our side had to scream thrice, so people on the Red Stands could reply.

We started communication with these waves, arms, laughter and claps.

"Back the wave, come on, wave back!!"

Then, people on the best seats wanted to participate, raising their hands. And the "waves" got longer.

And others on the Yellow Stands took part. The same happened with people on Green and Orange Stands.

After 10-15 minutes we were all together, waving, laughing, clapping together and screaming for Rush. :D

We were 90.000 people in Sao Paolo doing the same thing at the same time for a enormous noble cause: :rush:

The concert itself was THE BEST! People sang before the concert start. We were shivering, feeling all that energy, listening to the perfect Alex Lifeson playing his guitar.

I wish you guys where there. The guitar sound was surrounding the whole stadium, in a way we didn't know where it was coming from.

The same applies for the bass. Geddy was incredibly happy. (Of course he's happy to play to audience, but I remember the feeling)

Neil was very concentrated, precise, energetic and had a powerful presence.

I passed the binoculars to 10 different people in a row, because they asked me to share. I allowed thme to see a great part of Neil's solo O Baterista.

I remember the lights, songs, impressions, the rain, the cold. We all enchanted to see them here for the first time.

It was a gift from the Universe, believe me.

Incredible!!!

Lorraine, I do think this replies your question here.

To me, this concert lasts forever.

Thanks for asking.

:cheers:

And for those who identify themselves here, who love Rush as every fan do, people from this forum and out of it, even 73, GhostGirl and RushRevisited. My honest: :hug2:

• Like 10

I guess, for some, it's akin to following a sports team your whole life. Up or down, theyre always your team. For me, Rush is about the only thing, from my childhood, that I still follow, so it helps me to reconnect with the kid inside me. But Im nowhere near as obsessed with them as I used to be. I hardly listen to them anymore and it's hard to be objective about their last 15 years or so. I mean, if they were a new band that just released VT, S&A, and CA would I really listen to it? I don't know, but I doubt it. Edited by hammerofthor
  • Like 1

I don't know. Maybe because it is underpinned by genuine friendship and love of making music together.

Al and Ged have been buds since junior high school. That and their middle class upbringing and Canadian modesty kept their heads mostly in check.
  • Like 1

:rush:

What makes me love the band was a true passion about their beautiful and technically developed music since I listened to their music for the first time, during my teen days.

- 2002 -

Nobody was expecting their tour in Brazil. I didn't know about it, till read an announcement on the street:

"Rush

November 22

Morumbi - São Paulo"

I was inside the bus, coming back home after a whole work and study day. I got happy and energetic instantly and the first thing I did was calling someone to say it!

It was a bit difficult to get my ticket. I had almost no money, but an student pass that allowed me to pay cheaper. ;P

I didn't know exactly where to buy it, because at that time it was impossible for me to buy on the internet.

It took me a long ride to arrive at the right place to purchase it, I got lost and had to come back.

When I arrived, all seats were almost sold out, the only place I found was called Blue Stands.

At that time I was living in hometown and travelled three hours to see Rush. We were in 15 people, from different sides of the town, were late, got stucked in bad traffic and it was raining a bit.

Although everything worked right and we entered the stadium to see a beloved band play.

The place was half empty, half full. I found my seat, which was good with a great space between me and my next one.

I had binoculars on my hands. The place was far from stage... but fine, it was RUSH!!!

I found three other guys close to me. They were from Sao Paolo and played music. When I said where I came from, they were mouth oppened due my travel to see the band.

We started the concert before The Power Trio show us their hands and music.

We all waved to each other on opposite sides of that stadium. And we screamed to each other "Back!" -- to return the wave movement made with our arms. Our side had to scream thrice, so people on the Red Stands could reply.

We started communication with these waves, arms, laughter and claps.

"Back the wave, come on, wave back!!"

Then, people on the best seats wanted to participate, raising their hands. And the "waves" got longer.

And others on the Yellow Stands took part. The same happened with people on Green and Orange Stands.

After 10-15 minutes we were all together, waving, laughing, clapping together and screaming for Rush. :D

We were 90.000 people in Sao Paolo doing the same thing at the same time for a enormous noble cause: :rush:

The concert itself was THE BEST! People sang before the concert start. We were shivering, feeling all that energy, listening to the perfect Alex Lifeson playing his guitar.

I wish you guys where there. The guitar sound was surrounding the whole stadium, in a way we didn't know where it was coming from.

The same applies for the bass. Geddy was incredibly happy. (Of course he's happy to play to audience, but I remember the feeling)

Neil was very concentrated, precise, energetic and had a powerful presence.

I passed the binoculars to 10 different people in a row, because they asked me to share. I allowed thme to see a great part of Neil's solo O Baterista.

I remember the lights, songs, impressions, the rain, the cold. We all enchanted to see them here for the first time.

It was a gift from the Universe, believe me.

Incredible!!!

Lorraine, I do think this replies your question here.

To me, this concert lasts forever.

Thanks for asking.

:cheers:

And for those who identify themselves here, who love Rush as every fan do, people from this forum and out of it, even 73, GhostGirl and RushRevisited. My honest: :hug2:

My eyes filled up with tears when I got to the line I put in bold in your post.

That was quite a "Rush testimony", Rhyv. Thank you.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

For me...Rush was my first favorite band- going back to the age of six. Their music accompanied my formative years. And when my brother who first turned me on to them was killed, and I was absolutely shattered- the first new Rush album released after that was Hold Your Fire. And from its opening lyric, on Force Ten-

Tough times demand tough talk

Demand tough hearts

Demand tough songs

Demand!

...it was from that point that I thought to myself, how did they know? How in the world did Neil know, exactly what I needed?

I had the same experience with themes and lyrics in Presto (The Pass), and all the way through to Snakes and Arrows (Workin' Them Angels) that saw me through other tragedies and personal grief, too.

The fact that the music has been so incredible, and that the three of them obviously love each other...those are just nice bonuses, really.

But even if they hadn't lasted nearly as long as they have...their body of work, during those formative years of mine was just vital to me- they always have been, and they will continue to be.

"It is what it is, and whatever

Time is still the infinite jest."

• Like 9

For me...Rush was my first favorite band- going back to the age of six. Their music accompanied my formative years. And when my brother who first turned me on to them was killed, and I was absolutely shattered- the first new Rush album released after that was Hold Your Fire. And from its opening lyric, on Force Ten-

Tough times demand tough talk

Demand tough hearts

Demand tough songs

Demand!

...it was from that point that I thought to myself, how did they know? How in the world did Neil know, exactly what I needed?

I had the same experience with themes and lyrics in Presto (The Pass), and all the way through to Snakes and Arrows (Workin' Them Angels) that saw me through other tragedies and personal grief, too.

The fact that the music has been so incredible, and that the three of them obviously love each other...those are just nice bonuses, really.

But even if they hadn't lasted nearly as long as they have...their body of work, during those formative years of mine was just vital to me- they always have been, and they will continue to be.

"It is what it is, and whatever

Time is still the infinite jest."

Back to your age of six. :o

Wow! :D

I like your post.

Good bands demand good friends.

• Like 2

I'm not sure there is a cut and dried answer to that question. I can list the things that have kept me around.

Their music is different than any other band out there. It has an indefinable quality to it. Intelligent lyrics, awesome musicianship, and three musicians that stuck to their guns and played what they wanted and never really fell into the top 40 trap. I also agree about them being nice people. Even back in the early days before we really knew much about them you could tell that they were just three sort of geeky, nerdy guys who loved to play music.

• Like 3

I'm not sure there is a cut and dried answer to that question. I can list the things that have kept me around.

Their music is different than any other band out there. It has an indefinable quality to it. Intelligent lyrics, awesome musicianship, and three musicians that stuck to their guns and played what they wanted and never really fell into the top 40 trap. I also agree about them being nice people. Even back in the early days before we really knew much about them you could tell that they were just three sort of geeky, nerdy guys who loved to play music.

Can you think of any other band that you can say the same thing about, including the fact that they seem to be genuinely nice human beings?

Good bands demand good friends.

I've said this so many times before but that's because it's true - Rush really ought to know the quality of their fans. Then they would understand why they've stuck by them for so long.

:yes:

They need to stay between three/ five years getting along with their fans around the world to really know what Rush means to those who aren't on their stage, musicians who have learned from them and all others. Every Rush fan counts! ;P

• Like 1