Segue and Fraroc's Styx Thread

fraroc

So Segue, remember back when we were talking about Styx and you had the idea of doing a thread like this? Well, I'm listening to Styx again and I figured "what the hell?"

Lets talk about Edge of The Century as our first topic!

Styx fans always seem to overlook this album and forget that it was actually a very successful record. Despite the fact that it wasn't the full classic lineup of Styx, the band really marketed the hell out of this album. Show Me The Way was a massive hit on its own and due to the fact that the song was used as a tribute for the U.S soldiers fighting in the Gulf War. Love Is The Ritual and the title track I think got a lot of airplay as well.

So, what is everybody's thoughts on this?

• Like 2

I'm up for this! Not tonight as I am shattered. But I will give this album a spin tomorrow and let you know!

I love me some Styx, and their older stuff is very underrated

They were like a whole different band around the Wooden Nickel era

That's the material I still have to check out- I've never owned any of the Wooden Nickel albums.

Let me know when you start discussing the Crystal Ball album- I'm all in for that one...

• Like 1

That's the material I still have to check out- I've never owned any of the Wooden Nickel albums.

Let me know when you start discussing the Crystal Ball album- I'm all in for that one...

The Wooden Nickel albums are available as a two disc set with bonus tracks and a very detailed booklet for under $10 online. Really good bargain for some excellent, but odd, music!

• Like 3

The Wooden Nickel albums are available as a two disc set with bonus tracks and a very detailed booklet for under $10 online. Really good bargain for some excellent, but odd, music!

Four albums full of great music, on two discs, for such a bargain price. That's hard to beat.

I love the first two albums in particular

• Like 2

The Wooden Nickel albums are the business. I have 3 of them on vinyl, Man of Miracles on RCA vinyl.

Yes, I'm boasting.

They made me a fan. I wasn't into anything I heard until I started from the beginning and followed their evolution.

All killer, maybe a littler filler, until Kilroy. I hate that album and nothing that came after sounds or feels right to these ears.

• Like 3

The Wooden Nickel albums are the business. I have 3 of them on vinyl, Man of Miracles on RCA vinyl.

Yes, I'm boasting.

They made me a fan. I wasn't into anything I heard until I started from the beginning and followed their evolution.

All killer, maybe a littler filler, until Kilroy. I hate that album and nothing that came after sounds or feels right to these ears.

I really don't know what they were thinking of when they wrote Kilroy!

As much as I want to like it, it doesn't happen at all!

Still one bad album amongst many fine ones isn't too bad is it?

• Like 1

Yes, I'm boasting.

I don't even know what the fu'ck an RCA vinyl is!

• Like 1

Anyway, with Kilroy....As much as I want to not like the album, admittedly there are songs I like on that album....Mr. Roboto is a classic hit (as much as Styx might hate it), Heavy Metal Poisioning and Cold War are great songs and Double Life is pretty good too. The rest is kind of filler, but it's not bad.
  • Like 3

Anyway, with Kilroy....As much as I want to not like the album, admittedly there are songs I like on that album....Mr. Roboto is a classic hit (as much as Styx might hate it), Heavy Metal Poisioning and Cold War are great songs and Double Life is pretty good too. The rest is kind of filler, but it's not bad.

I hate all those songs. It is start to finish a piece of crap

Yes, I'm boasting.

Kilroy is appalling. Cornerstone is a bit yukky too.

On the other hand, Paradise Theatre, which is one big fromage kiss, works like a charm.

• Like 2

I saw Styx in concert. Yep, on the Kilroy Was Here tour. It was at some Broadway theater. Very small and intimate.

Just as an observation, did Tommy and JY look miserable on stage? Or did the misery not really set in until the attempt at a Kilroy arena tour?

• Like 2

I saw Styx in concert. Yep, on the Kilroy Was Here tour. It was at some Broadway theater. Very small and intimate.

Just as an observation, did Tommy and JY look miserable on stage? Or did the misery not really set in until the attempt at a Kilroy arena tour?

It was so long ago! I do remember it coming across as a very forced performance. Half way through the show I don't think anyone wanted to be there.

Kilroy remains the worst listening experience I have ever had from a band I admire.
  • Like 1

It was so long ago! I do remember it coming across as a very forced performance. Half way through the show I don't think anyone wanted to be there.

That's when they did the whole show with them singing, acting and dancing to pre recorded music?

That's when they did the whole show with them singing, acting and dancing to pre recorded music?

Pretty much.There was a short movie then they acted a stage play performing the album.

Edited by ReRushed

Knowing next to nothing of anything pre "Come Sail Away", I went and picked something early at random to listen to:

Little Fugue in "G" into Father O.S.A.

Great stuff

Tomorrow, I'll delve in more

They can get as melodic and as addictive as ABBA.

I love this band!

• Like 2