Segue and Fraroc's Styx Thread

fraroc

So...It's been a while since I posted on this thread (or on this site as a whole to be honest). Seeing as how I'm getting back into Styx again, I might as well talk about it lol.

Anyway, I think that every fan of post-1975 Styx should go back and listen to the Wooden Nickel era records, and not just Lady. There are so many great songs such as Best Thing, You Need Love, Winner Take All, Grove of Eglantine, Father OSA. I seriously wish that they would give this era more love during their current live show. It would be so cool if they did Winner Take All or Grove of Eglantine on their next tour and REALLY throw their fans a curveball.

Four of my top six Styx albums

Let me rank all the styx albums until Killroy (from favorite to least)

1. The Grand Illusion

2. Crystal Ball

3. Pieces of Eight

4. Styx

5. Man of Miracles

6. Equinox

7. Paradise Theatre

(The albums I did not enjoy so much)

8. Styx II

9. The Serpent Is Rising

10. Cornerstone

11. Killroy Was Here

hmm let me rank as well.

1. The Grand Illusion

2. Crystal Ball

3. Paradise Theater

4. Pieces of Eight

5. Equinox

6. The Mission

7. Man of Miracles

8. Styx II

9. Styx

then it's all lower tier stuff

10. Cyclorama

11. Cornerstone

12. Edge of the Century

13. Brave New World

14. The Serpent is Rising

15. Kilroy.

Mick

Love Equinox so much.. Underrated.

I agree with bluefox4000, new album is a solid 7.

Saw them last Friday night. Shaw still sounds really good and JY brought it nicely on Lorelei and Miss America. I don't dislike Gowan and didn't dislike DeYoung but I get the "grating vocals" comments. Only complaint was that they didn't play Suite: Madam Blue and did play Mr. Roboto.. Change those 2 out guys!

My first Styx show since the Grand Illusion tour, Boise, Idaho in Feb. '78 (Head East opened).

• Like 2

So...It's been a while since I posted on this thread (or on this site as a whole to be honest). Seeing as how I'm getting back into Styx again, I might as well talk about it lol.

Anyway, I think that every fan of post-1975 Styx should go back and listen to the Wooden Nickel era records, and not just Lady. There are so many great songs such as Best Thing, You Need Love, Winner Take All, Grove of Eglantine, Father OSA. I seriously wish that they would give this era more love during their current live show. It would be so cool if they did Winner Take All or Grove of Eglantine on their next tour and REALLY throw their fans a curveball.

Jonas Psalter, Father OSA, Grove of Eglatine or Best Thing would be great to hear live.

Edited by Wil1972

The Wooden Nickel albums are the business. I have 3 of them on vinyl, Man of Miracles on RCA vinyl.

Yes, I'm boasting.

I had all Four Wooden Nickle albums, then all the vinyl through "Kilroy Was Here. Now all CD.Haven't heard anything past Cyclotron

I saw Styx in concert. Yep, on the Kilroy Was Here tour. It was at some Broadway theater. Very small and intimate.

Just as an observation, did Tommy and JY look miserable on stage? Or did the misery not really set in until the attempt at a Kilroy arena tour?

I saw them on The Grand Illusion tour, and Kilroy Was Here tour. JY and Tommy looked fine, not a bit of animosity in evidence. they looked like they were really enjoying themselves, along with the rest of the band... The Serpent is Rising, The Grove of Eglantine,Father O.S.A. and other tunes are faves of mine...Castle Walls...LOVE!!!

3fp7Hvy.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1