Star Trek original series character vs the alternate universe reboot crew

JohnnyBlaze

Which Star Trek original series character would you like the reboot crew to face?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which Star Trek original series character would you most like the reboot crew to face?

• Apollo
    • Gary Mitchell
    • Harry Mudd
    • The Gorn
    • Lord Garth
    • The Liberace-looking squire guy that many say is a Q
    • The butthead-shaped Menagerie illusionists
    • The Telly Savalas gangster
    • The Mirror Mirror crew
    • ((Other))

The latest Trek film is yet to arrive here so I'm not sure if any of the choices in the poll are affected. And please don't tell me if they are.

I'm not the biggest fan of the alternate universe reboot movies (the first one being entertaining yet nothing great and the Benedict Khan one being bad) but it's pretty safe to say that more original series characters will appear as this reboot series progresses. It'll happen whether you want it to or not. So which of these characters would you most like to see? Discuss.

The chick that stole Spock's brain ;) :LOL:

http://www.letswatchstartrek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Picture-69.png

• Like 1

Actually as much as DS9 kind of killed the mirror universe I think that'd be a great idea for a new Kelvinverse movie.

Other.

The Doomsday Machine. I love inanimate antagonists, you can't negotiate with a force of nature, and there is no villainy or trechary. Bring in Commodore Decker and the USS Constellation, expand on the mysterious lore of the Machine's origins. Make it a character story that doesn't get lost in the motivations of the enemy, and rather focuses on the crew's actions in the face of the danger.

• Like 2

Other.

The Doomsday Machine. I love inanimate antagonists, you can't negotiate with a force of nature, and there is no villainy or trechary. Bring in Commodore Decker and the USS Constellation, expand on the mysterious lore of the Machine's origins. Make it a character story that doesn't get lost in the motivations of the enemy, and rather focuses on the crew's actions in the face of the danger.

Ah yes, an enemy/weapon that looks like a spliff. I can dig it. :LOL:

Really though, that's a great episode and the actor who played Matt Decker did an awesome job. Still, they'd need to revamp that Doomsday Machine design big time.

I got to meet and visit with a fairly famous Trek person a few weeks ago. His name is John Black- he was a producer and writer for the original series. He co-wrote a few of the early episodes, and was the sole writer of the episode "The Naked Time."

His son is my son's Godfather. So he is one of my son's God-grandparent? Had dinner at the Black's house, anyways, pretty cool to meet someone intimately involved in Trek history.

• Like 2

I got to meet and visit with a fairly famous Trek person a few weeks ago. His name is John Black- he was a producer and writer for the original series. He co-wrote a few of the early episodes, and was the sole writer of the episode "The Naked Time."

Very cool.

Sulu as a swashbuckler

• Like 1

Trek should never end. They've only explored 10-20% of the galaxy. Let alone other galaxies, let alone other timelines, let alone other planes of existence. There's so much out there to do.

The notion that the stories have become repetitive and derivative is off the mark. By that logic, all stories have been repetitive and derivative since at least the time of Shakespeare. The story's narrative doesn't matter as much as the players and the subtleties.

The only problem that Trek's later iterations has had is that they keep trying to reinvent the warp core in fear of becoming more repetative. They need to stop trying to change a winning formula. TNG picked up the TOS torch, it was a very different show because it had different characters and a new era of exploration, but it progressed the same themes forward in a logical manner.

That progression isn't broken. Step forward 40, 50, 100, 300 years, and move the football in that direction. It's as simple as asking what comes next.

Star Trek has the advantage of 50 years of established lore, I would put Star Trek only beside Doctor Who in having such a consistent, structured and well developed treasure trove of lore to work with. That lore is what makes a franchize like this special: because the emotional investment is not just in a character, not just in a ship, not even just in a species- it's in an entire universe.

The universe is the star of the Star Trek franchize: and that star is so unlimited in its potential that it needs to be continued. Indefinitely.

Edited by KenJennings