Rush new documentary

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 umoveme

umoveme

California Sundress SILLY

• Members *
  • 4266 posts
  • Interests:music, fishing, hiking in the Sierras, dog training, traveling, being creative...

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

View Postumoveme, on 03 November 2016 - 11:32 PM, said:

so bummed!    :(

Sponsored Post

#62 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3899 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:07 PM

I shed a few tears myself (not as many as I expected though), but they were tears of pride and joy because we were along for the ride.

#63 Phantom

Phantom

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 997 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:22 AM

I found the documentary to be even better than I hoped it'd be...emotional to be sure, but a great view into the band and their bond with each other and with their fans.

#64 Jsteinrush

Jsteinrush

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:11 PM

I just can't bring myself to watch it.  Don't want it to be over. :(

#65 rocket ignites

rocket ignites

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5538 posts
  • Interests:Poker. Minnesota Vikings/Twins/T-Wolves. Being a glass half-full advocate for post 1982 Rush.

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:23 PM

View PostJsteinrush, on 22 November 2016 - 10:11 PM, said:

It might be a while before I buy it and watch it...I'm even avoiding reading about it much.

#66 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:04 PM

If you don't want it to be over, then you better not watch it.

#67 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:04 PM

View PostPhantom, on 20 November 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

I found the documentary to be even better than I hoped it'd be...emotional to be sure, but a great view into the band and their bond with each other and with their fans.

It was done very well, wasn't it?

#68 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:20 AM

View PostLorraine, on 23 November 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

View PostPhantom, on 20 November 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

It was done very well, wasn't it?

I think it was done well enough that it was like them saying "we love all our fans and we appreciate you and this is why we have to quit now. We've left you with all of this awesome music from our heart and soul".  I thought it was a bit sad but not in the sense that I wouldn't want to watch it again. It was a celebration of their career and time spent doing what they loved the best. To me that's a very positive thing.

#69 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:19 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 24 November 2016 - 02:20 AM, said:

I think it was done well enough that it was like them saying "we love all our fans and we appreciate you and this is why we have to quit now. We've left you with all of this awesome music from our heart and soul".  I thought it was a bit sad but not in the sense that I wouldn't want to watch it again. It was a celebration of their career and time spent doing what they loved the best. To me that's a very positive thing.

I found it more than just "a bit" sad.  The ending was so harsh, you'd almost think someone in the band had died.  I would've preferred they focus less on the whole "OMG, this will be the last show ever...how will we cope???" angle and tried to end on a more upbeat, celebratory note like you mentioned.  We did get 40 years, 20 (or so) studio records and a splendid final tour (even though most remote fans didn't get to see it).  Despite what they always say about not wanting to make Neil appear solely responsible, that's kinda how you're left feeling after the film.  Alex and especially Geddy make it clear they didn't want to stop.  I wonder how Neil felt after watching it.

To lighten the mood, they should've closed with Alex donning "the bag" and reprising the whole routine.  :)

#70 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:06 PM

View PostTexMike, on 24 November 2016 - 04:19 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 24 November 2016 - 02:20 AM, said:

I found it more than just "a bit" sad.  The ending was so harsh, you'd almost think someone in the band had died.  I would've preferred they focus less on the whole "OMG, this will be the last show ever...how will we cope???" angle and tried to end on a more upbeat, celebratory note like you mentioned.  We did get 40 years, 20 (or so) studio records and a splendid final tour (even though most remote fans didn't get to see it).  Despite what they always say about not wanting to make Neil appear solely responsible, that's kinda how you're left feeling after the film.  Alex and especially Geddy make it clear they didn't want to stop.  I wonder how Neil felt after watching it.

To lighten the mood, they should've closed with Alex donning "the bag" and reprising the whole routine.  :)

It's funny that I didn't get that huge of a negative feeling about the whole thing. I've only watched it once but that was my first impression. It would've been funny to have Alex do the bag again.

#71 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10260 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:42 AM

Its over dude. sorry

The first step is acceptance.

#72 Catch The Mystery

Catch The Mystery

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:13 AM

I've watched it three times by now. In my heart I knew it was over last year after I'd seen them in New Orleans. When I got home after that show I cried really hard... I knew it was over and I was glad I had one more show to go to at the time.

The documentary has some very sad moments indeed. Esp. the part where Alex wraps his arm around Geddy after the LA show :(

But on the other hand Alex cracked me up big time with his grungy version of Subdivisions :LMAO: That brought tears to my eyes as well, but those were happy ones. There really should have been a bonus feature of him doing hilarious stuff on/off stage over the years on this DVD :lol:

#73 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:16 PM

View PostCatch The Mystery, on 25 November 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

I've watched it three times by now. In my heart I knew it was over last year after I'd seen them in New Orleans. When I got home after that show I cried really hard... I knew it was over and I was glad I had one more show to go to at the time.

The documentary has some very sad moments indeed. Esp. the part where Alex wraps his arm around Geddy after the LA show :(

But on the other hand Alex cracked me up big time with his grungy version of Subdivisions :LMAO: That brought tears to my eyes as well, but those were happy ones. There really should have been a bonus feature of him doing hilarious stuff on/off stage over the years on this DVD :lol:
I was going to bring up Alex doing his Subdivisions, and I forgot what he said at the end - something like "do you guys have that arrangement down for tonight" - or something like that - made me laugh.

In fact, the only times I did laugh during it was on account of Alex, or Geddy doing his imitation of Ace asking Alex to do the Bag man.

#74 Catch The Mystery

Catch The Mystery

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 01:03 PM

View PostLorraine, on 25 November 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

I was going to bring up Alex doing his Subdivisions, and I forgot what he said at the end - something like "do you guys have that arrangement down for tonight" - or something like that - made me laugh.

In fact, the only times I did laugh during it was on account of Alex, or Geddy doing his imitation of Ace asking Alex to do the Bag man.

It's too bad things ended the way they did (esp. for Geddy). Had all three of them been ready for retirement then it might have been a different type of documentary. Maybe even a celebratory and happy one instead of this - at times very sad - retrospective.

I really wonder how Ged's doing right now music-wise since we haven't heard much of him over the past 15 months :( Alex has been out there playing a handful of gigs and worked with Rick Emmet and now with these EDM boys, but Geddy seems to have faded away except for his appearance on the Bob & Doug McKenzie vinyl.

#75 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:23 PM

I forgot about Alex's rant during the soundcheck.  That was great and gave me a big laugh too!  As well as the part where he says "the bag kinda talked like this" while doing the funny voice.  I so wanted him to keep going and do the whole routine.

And although the occasion was certainly sad, I found the scene of Alex and Geddy arm-in-arm kind of uplifting.  Like even though they had to say goodbye to Rush, they still had each other.

#76 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:57 PM

View PostTexMike, on 25 November 2016 - 06:23 PM, said:

I forgot about Alex's rant during the soundcheck.  That was great and gave me a big laugh too!  As well as the part where he says "the bag kinda talked like this" while doing the funny voice.  I so wanted him to keep going and do the whole routine.

And although the occasion was certainly sad, I found the scene of Alex and Geddy arm-in-arm kind of uplifting.  Like even though they had to say goodbye to Rush, they still had each other.
That voice they both do for Ace cracks me up too.  I never heard Ace talk so I don't know what he really sounds like.

#77 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

Non-Binary

• Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:59 PM

View PostTexMike, on 25 November 2016 - 06:23 PM, said:

It was very touching and comforting.  I deeply appreciated that shot.

#78 Geddy Jazz

Geddy Jazz

The Seeker

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Rush

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:24 PM

It ´s been always said that Neil was the new guy....confirmed. I´d have loved to see them together talking about the tour, the last show.....for some reason did not happen....something just does not feel right ....dunno. :codger:

#79 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:50 PM

View PostGeddy Jazz, on 26 November 2016 - 08:24 PM, said:

It ´s been always said that Neil was the new guy....confirmed. I´d have loved to see them together talking about the tour, the last show.....for some reason did not happen....something just does not feel right ....dunno. :codger:

Yeah it would've been nice to have more footage of the three of them together but it sounds like emotions were high and some feelings were hurt so we have to be happy to get what we got.

#80 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:19 PM

They are never together.  It's always Alex and Geddy.  Then Neil someplace else being interviewed alone.

I'll tell you what I think - the problem is Geddy.  I think what Tombstone said a few times isn't far off the mark.   I think there's a rivalry for Alex.

In this documentary, I saw a side of Geddy I never saw before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users