Favorite type of venue to see music live?

fraroc

26 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite type of venue to see a show

• Large scale venue (football stadium, arena, ampitheatre)
    • Mid-size venue (concert hall, theatre)
    • Small venue (bar, nightclub)

DISCLAMER: THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT/PISSING CONTEST OVER WHICH ONE IS BETTER.

Let's get that out of the way first.

Anyway, personally. I find shows in large venues like arenas, ampitheatres, and stadiums to be a very exhilarating experience and is a key sign that a band has truly "made it" or is still on top so to speak. However, small venues (dive bars and clubs) to mid-size venues (theatres and concert halls) have their perks in the sense that you have a chance to get closer to the band that you enjoy and if it's general admission, be nearly face to face with them or even meet them before and after the show.

Theatre/ concert hall gets my vote. Arenas are too big and impersonal and the sound is usually rubbish. Small venues can be great but I find standing up for several hours uncomfortable plus, wherever I stand, there always seems to be a 6ft bloke standing right in front of me.
  • Like 3

All my best concert experiences have been in Theater sized venues.

I always prefer actually being able to see the band I have paid for.

Club gigs are good as long as they are pretty much full, and you have a much better chance of actually meeting the act

in person. Also, there tends to be little or no security to spoil your fun, and the bands tend to be more relaxed in that environment.

The larger the venue the more chance the sound will be crap, and a bigger risk of encountering some jerk who is pissing people off.

Outdoor gigs come with the added risk of adverse weather.

• Like 2

I like theaters. It used to be fun to go to a big stadium for those all day World Series of Rock things but you always ended up sunburned and really dehydrated! And I'm with foghorn, outside always seems to be bad weather. There is a theatre in town and one at a college in the next town over that have really good sound and get groups like Styx and Jackson Browne that are fun to see in a smaller place.
  • Like 2

The smaller the venue the better has been my experience. I saw Judas Priest twice just after Hell Bent For Leather. One venue was no bigger than a Buffalo Wild Wings in Northern VA(Louie's Rock City) and one in DC in a place no bigger than your average movie theater(2nd row center). How the motorcycle fit on the stage is beyond me lol. Incredible shows...
  • Like 5

All three have their perks and charms. At the smaller shows for the most part, I find it very intimate and easy to interact w/the bands and even say hello before/after the show and I've had a fair share of episodes of almost head bumping into guitarists/frontmen/you name it at these kinds of shows (perhaps we're so in tune with one another :LOL:). I enjoy the spectacle of seeing bigger more established bands at the Garden in NYC but those come every once in a blue moon cause I don't really listen to much music that would cater to those kinds of shows.

I find that the mid size venues strike the perfect balance of intimacy and energy of smaller venues and the epic spectacle of larger scale venues so that gets my vote as it just happens to be type of venue that most of the shows I go to are held in. I also find that I've had the most fun/memorable concert experiences in concert halls and theaters. Incidentally, the next two shows I'm going to are at a theater and a large concert hall respectively.

• Like 4

I like small bars and seeing bands on the way up

I've been going to a lot more smaller venue shows this year especially and I agree it's fun to see much newer bands that have a bright future ahead of them as well as the more established newer bands still playing the small bar/club shows cause they draw sold out crowds at these types of shows.
  • Like 1

I only wish that bands could still do pyro in theatres. Unfortunately, the tragedy that happened Great White in 2003 when the club caught on fire after pyro was being used and basically the entire audience plus the band's then guitarist were killed basically destroyed any chance of pyro being used in any place other than a stadium. The bands that play mid-level venues sometimes have cool light shows and lasers to make up for it, but as much as I love pyro....You can't risk another tragedy like that happening again :( Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

This isn't even a contest.

An arena show might have the production, but nothing beats the raw energy in a club. And I HATE crowds and being near people. If I could I'd watch the club show from a raised bleacher seat in the back of the bar. That way I get the energy without the people. But I can't, so I still choose being stuck in the middle of (people !) because the energy is 100 times better in a club.

On the other hand, arena shows let me sit and never get touched by any strangers, so there is that.

• Like 2

While bar shows are very intimate and cozy, the downside to it is the fact that the band can't really put on a "show" because there isn't enough room. In terms of modern metal bands, it's very dissapointing to see bands which make such epic music be confined to a 15 foot X 15 foot space where they literally can't move from their pedalboards and mics.

That's why I really love mid size venues like theaters. It's intimate and cozy, yet there is infinitely more room on stage for the band to put on a rip roaring rock n roll show.

• Like 1

On the other hand, arena shows let me sit and never get touched by any strangers, so there is that.

I am sure Some people PAY for this Specific activity !!! Freaks

• Like 2

Theaters/Halls

1. More intimate

2. More often then not better sound

3. People are WAY less rude in theaters in my experience.

Mick

This, exactly.

Plus, a lot of the smaller theaters that are used for live acts now (anywhere from say 1000 to 4000-seat capacity) date from decades ago, and are very lavishly-decorated, really neat old places. I love the atmosphere.

And yes, the sound quality is much better.

And there's usually not a sub-par seat (or spot) in the whole place.

• Like 2

Theaters/Halls

1. More intimate

2. More often then not better sound

3. People are WAY less rude in theaters in my experience.

Mick

This, exactly.

Plus, a lot of the smaller theaters that are used for live acts now (anywhere from say 1000 to 4000-seat capacity) date from decades ago, and are very lavishly-decorated, really neat old places. I love the atmosphere.

And yes, the sound quality is much better.

And there's usually not a sub-par seat (or spot) in the whole place.

agreed. i pretty much swore off Arena shows because........people in that environment suck.

and i'm convinced the mission of sound people there is to make me deaf.......seriously it's a health Hazard.

Theaters only pretty much for me these days. and bars seem to tight for music to breath.

Mick

I like the mid sized venues best. The acoustics always seem to be better and the venues are just intimate enough. Also, the smaller the crowd is, the less poser/fake fans there will be in attendance. You're likely to have a room full of more dedicated fans in the mid and smaller venues. Fans who really love the band, know every song and want to be there. The atmosphere is always better for a show when that's the case. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 3

I don't like arenas, stadiums and places that aren't really designed for music since they usually don't sound great. I do like places such as concert halls an theaters because they're the best sound and they're usually just really nice venues. However, I also like small venues since they're more intimate and if the sound guy knows what they're doing they usually sound pretty good.
  • Like 1

Definitely a small theater. Elegant and old. Warm and fuzzy.

And recently I enjoyed a concert at a city park. It's nice to stand on the grass and be outside.

And what I don't like are venues like Austin 360, at which I saw Rush on the R40 tour. It was a real treat to see Rush outside, in the night air. But it also seemed as if they were playing at a race car track. Just lacks character. Those old theaters though, they have character.

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 2

It depends on the band. I saw Los Lobos at the Mercury Lounge. There couldn't be more that 300 people in the audience. One of the best concerts I have ever attended.

I saw Paul McCartney at Yankee Stadium. 45,000 people. One of the best concerts I have ever attended.

• Like 2