21st Century Clint Eastwood

JohnnyBlaze

Favorite 21st century Eastwood movie?   

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these 21st century Clint-related movies is your favorite?

• Mystic River
    • Million Dollar Baby
    • Flags of Our Fathers
    • Letters from Iwo Jima
    • Gran Torino
    • Invictus
    • Hereafter
    • J. Edgar
    • American Sniper
    • Sully
    • other
  2. 2. Which is Clint better at doing?

• Acting
    • Directing
    • I need Clint to threaten me at gunpoint in order for me to choose.

There's not enough Dirty Harry and Dollars trilogy talk in this Eastwood thread.

...because of the thread title. But ok....

My friend says Fistful of Dollars is the best of the Dollars trilogy. I told him that he's nuts. It's good but not on par with For A Few... or The Good, The Bad... He thinks Matrix is brilliant and The Mist is clever so that adds to my theory that he's nuts.

They get better as they go along, and the addition of Lee Van Cleef automatically gives FOAFDM a major boost. And of course with TGTBATU with the addition of Eli Wallach, a bigger more complex and much better story, even better music etc you have the best film of the trilogy.

Hey! This was the other trilogy I was trying to think of (other than Captain America) that got better as they progressed.

The thing about this trilogy is it isn't really a series of sequels, they're three stories that aren't connected but have a similar lead character.

Right. Still count it as a trilogy though. Leone did too, yeah?

Yeah it's a trilogy for sure, same lead actor, same director, same composer, same genre and style etc.

Good the Bad & The Ugly is the best of the three.

It's rare that I can watch a 3+ hour slow-moving western at the drop of a hat and not get bored.

I LIKE BIG GUYS LIKE YOU! THEY MAKE MORE NOISE WHEN THEY HIT THE FLOOR!

Aye it's the ultimate western!

There's not enough Dirty Harry and Dollars trilogy talk in this Eastwood thread.

My friend says Fistful of Dollars is the best of the Dollars trilogy. I told him that he's nuts. It's good but not on par with For A Few... or The Good, The Bad... He thinks Matrix is brilliant and The Mist is clever so that adds to my theory that he's nuts.

They get better as they go along, and the addition of Lee Van Cleef automatically gives FOAFDM a major boost. And of course with TGTBATU with the addition of Eli Wallach, a bigger more complex and much better story, even better music etc you have the best film of the trilogy.

Hey! This was the other trilogy I was trying to think of (other than Captain America) that got better as they progressed.

The thing about this trilogy is it isn't really a series of sequels, they're three stories that aren't connected but have a similar lead character.

Yeah it's a trilogy for sure, same lead actor, same director, same composer, same genre and style etc.

It's rare that I can watch a 3+ hour slow-moving western at the drop of a hat and not get bored.

I think I might like Outlaw Josey Wales more. He seemed more vulnerable and seemed to have a lot more on the line so it amped up the drama. But The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is the best of the trilogy at least.

I think I might like Outlaw Josey Wales more. He seemed more vulnerable and seemed to have a lot more on the line so it amped up the drama. But The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is the best of the trilogy at least.

There's more story in The Good The Bad and the Ugly, and it features just about every cool western scenario you can think of. Plus you have Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach on top form and the masterful classic score as well. It's an epic!

There's more story in The Good The Bad and the Ugly, and it features just about every cool western scenario you can think of. Plus you have Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach on top form and the masterful classic score as well. It's an epic!

That's true too. Still, it'd be close. If I saw either one today, I'd probably think the one I saw is better than the one I didn't see

That's true too. Still, it'd be close. If I saw either one today, I'd probably think the one I saw is better than the one I didn't see

And as well as that the locations are perfect too, it was filmed in Spain but it looks just like Civil War era America.

Where would you guys place Unforgiven amongst his westerns? Better than the Dollars trilogy? Worse? Better or worse than Outlaw Josey Wales? vs Pale Rider? etc...

Oh man, Unforgiven is so good and Hackman is an evil asshole in top form.

I'd rank it higher than the first 2 of the trilogy for sure..

Not as good as High Plans Drifter.. Better than Pale Rider though

Better than Hang 'Em High by a LOT

It's probably better than Jose Wales, but that's a great movie.

My favorite Clint western's High Plains Drifter, FWIW.

• Like 2

Where would you guys place Unforgiven amongst his westerns? Better than the Dollars trilogy? Worse? Better or worse than Outlaw Josey Wales? vs Pale Rider? etc...

Yeah, Unforgiven is one of his best (of any genre). Superb. Hackman! That scene where he's kicking around Richard Harris in the street is brutal.

I'd rate those that you mentioned like this:

Outlaw Josey Wales > The Good, The Bad... > Unforgiven > High Plains Drifter > For a Few Dollars... > Pale Rider > Fistful... > Hang 'Em High

There's a big gap between Unforgiven and High Plains Drifter (though HPD is a cool flick) and a much bigger gap between Fistful and Hang 'Em. Hang 'Em High just isn't very good imho

• Like 1

Yeah, Unforgiven is one of his best (of any genre). Superb. Hackman! That scene where he's kicking around Richard Harris in the street is brutal.

Outlaw Josey Wales > The Good, The Bad... > Unforgiven > High Plains Drifter > For a Few Dollars... > Pale Rider > Fistful... > Hang 'Em High

There's a big gap between Unforgiven and High Plains Drifter (though HPD is a cool flick) and a much bigger gap between Fistful and Hang 'Em. Hang 'Em High just isn't very good imho

I love Unforgiven and rank it second only to GBU. That was the movie that got me into westerns when I was a kid*.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Unforgiven

For a Few Dollars More

A Fistful of Dollars

High Plains Drifter

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Pale Rider

Hang 'Em High

Two Mules for Sister Sara

Joe Kidd

*Edit: If you don't count Back to the Future Part III :LOL:

Edited by Stormtron

I love Unforgiven and rank it second only to GBU. That was the movie that got me into westerns when I was a kid*.

Unforgiven

For a Few Dollars More

A Fistful of Dollars

High Plains Drifter

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Pale Rider

Hang 'Em High

Joe Kidd

I'm surprised you put Josey Wales in the middle of the pack.

I've only seen Two Mules once. And that was at least 35 years ago so I don't remember it.

And I've never seen Joe Kidd.

Whenever I see this thread title, I can't help singing:

:musicnote:

Cat's foot iron claw

Neuro-surgeons scream for more

At paranoia's poison door.

21st century Clint Eastwood.

Blood rack barbed wire

Polititians' funeral pyre

Innocents raped with napalm fire

• Like 2

Whenever I see this thread title, I can't help singing:

Cat's foot iron claw

Neuro-surgeons scream for more

At paranoia's poison door.

Blood rack barbed wire

Polititians' funeral pyre

Innocents raped with napalm fire

Pure coincidence as I don't know that song. I just looked it up a few minutes ago though.

Unforgiven

For a Few Dollars More

A Fistful of Dollars

High Plains Drifter

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Pale Rider

Hang 'Em High

Joe Kidd

I've never seen BttF3...or all of part 2 for that matter.

Where would The Beguiled fit among all those westerns? It's hard to think of it as a western but the events do take place in the same era as most of those others

Had to go with other and acting. Not as much into his 21st century directing as his 20th century acting. Dirty Harry, The Man with No Name, Gunny Highway, and especially Thunderbolt.