21st Century Clint Eastwood

JohnnyBlaze

Favorite 21st century Eastwood movie?   

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these 21st century Clint-related movies is your favorite?

• Mystic River
    • Million Dollar Baby
    • Flags of Our Fathers
    • Letters from Iwo Jima
    • Gran Torino
    • Invictus
    • Hereafter
    • J. Edgar
    • American Sniper
    • Sully
    • other
  2. 2. Which is Clint better at doing?

• Acting
    • Directing
    • I need Clint to threaten me at gunpoint in order for me to choose.

Actor. Director. Composer. Clint can do it all, and he has.

I first thought about covering his entire career but that's just impossible. Too much material.

Second, I thought to cover just either his acting roles OR films he directed but then I thought it might be more interesting to mix the two. And within just THIS century.

So, vote.

Discuss.

• Like 1

Mystic River.

The second question is tough, but I'm going with acting. Some of those roles are just too iconic.

I think for me it's pretty close between Mystic River and Million Dollar Baby but I give the edge to MDB. Penn's raw performance beats out Swank's excellent performance though. Both A+ movies imho.

As for the second question, yeah it's tough. That's why I put it. And that's why I put in the wussy 3rd option. :LOL:

I have to go with the Dollars trilogy and Dirty Harry characters though (as you said, "iconic")

Of those movies I've only seen Gran Torino and Million Dollar Baby. Both were great, but the former really hit hard so I picked it.

Just guessing but I think you'd like Mystic River too. Clint's not acting in it but he's directing Sean Penn and Tim Robbins into two of their best performances ever.

• Like 1

I prefer him as an actor. I have to admit though I'm not exactly sure how to judge a director. Do you just go on the quality of the film? The way it's shot (which might be down to the cinematographer), the way it's edited, the acting, the way the film looks ( which might be down to the lighting people, director of photography, colourists) the way the story unfolds (which could be down to writer)? Who knows what any particular director actually does and what effect he truly has on the film. So yeah I have to go with acting as that's something I can see and understand.

I have the Dirty Harry movies - they're awesome and iconic!

They are! But which ways did you vote here babykit? :)

Other (hence Dirty Harry)

Acting

Hmm...Dirty Harry isn't a 21st century Clint-related movie. In this case, "other" refers to Blood Work, Grace is Gone, Changeling, Kurosawa's Way, Trouble with the Curve, and Jersey Boys. :)

I prefer him as an actor. I have to admit though I'm not exactly sure how to judge a director. Do you just go on the quality of the film? The way it's shot (which might be down to the cinematographer), the way it's edited, the acting, the way the film looks ( which might be down to the lighting people, director of photography, colourists) the way the story unfolds (which could be down to writer)? Who knows what any particular director actually does and what effect he truly has on the film. So yeah I have to go with acting as that's something I can see and understand.

You should judge a director on body fat. Clint's always been pretty lean so he must be a great director.

Surely, you an tell the difference between Stanley Kubrick and Michael Bay. Woody Allen and Uwe Boll. Clint Eastwood and Roland Emmerich. Imagine Uwe Boll directing A Clockwork Orange. Imagine Michael Bay directing Manhattan. Just imagine it.

To be honest I've not seen most of these. In fact I've only seen Gran Torino all the way through, so it'll have to be that one. I thought it was pretty good anyway.

You must've forgotten in your old age. I know you've seen Million Dollar Baby because we've had discussions about it. You know, there's even a Rush-related actor in MDB, Jay Baruchel (whathisname in the Clockwork Angels tour/DVD footage).

The only one on that list I haven't seen is J. Edgar. Then again, I haven't seen any of the movies that are included with "other". Oh, and Sully which hasn't come out here yet.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

To be honest I've not seen most of these. In fact I've only seen Gran Torino all the way through, so it'll have to be that one. I thought it was pretty good anyway.

You must've forgotten in your old age. I know you've seen Million Dollar Baby because we've had discussions about it. You know, there's even a Rush-related actor in MDB, Jay Baruchel (whathisname in the Clockwork Angels tour/DVD footage).

The only one on that list I haven't seen is J. Edgar. Then again, I haven't seen any of the movies that are included with "other". Oh, and Sully which hasn't come out here yet.

Oh yeah I've seen the Baby with Swanky, I forgot about that for a sec.

You should judge a director on body fat. Clint's always been pretty lean so he must be a great director.

Surely, you an tell the difference between Stanley Kubrick and Michael Bay. Woody Allen and Uwe Boll. Clint Eastwood and Roland Emmerich. Imagine Uwe Boll directing A Clockwork Orange. Imagine Michael Bay directing Manhattan. Just imagine it.

Hitchcock was fat though.

That was just a costume. One of those fat suits.

That M Night Shyamalan is skinny though.

That's also just a costume. He's fat. Really fat.

That's also just a costume. He's fat. Really fat.

Are you sure you've not got this the wrong way around?