A Dream Theater Poll - Images vs Scenes

KenJennings

Images vs Scenes  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which album is better?

• Images and Words
    • Scenes from a Memory

Voted for I&W. Scenes is amazing and has some of the craziest instrumental passages they´ve ever done, but I get too tired of it, to be honest. LIstening to the whole thing from start to finish is quite a task. My top 4 DT albums: I&W/Awake/Self-titled/Scenes.

They're both bombastic wankery.

I have to be honest when not in a DT mood this is how they sound...

But when I am it's great fun!

• Like 1

Scenes.

My top two albums from them. I hated not being able to vote for I&W but Scenes is the only DT album I like better.

Everything just seemed to come together perfectly with Scenes. They hit their peak of songwriting with it. It couldn't have come out any better than it did. Flawless album.

But Images & Words is also flawless.

Great poll idea!

I bought both albums years ago when they were recommended to me. I can listen to them but they bore me silly. Their song writing abilities are very poor though I think they are accomplished musicians.

• Like 1

I bought both albums years ago when they were recommended to me. I can listen to them but they bore me silly. Their song writing abilities are very poor though I think they are accomplished musicians.

They are very formulaic. But I enjoy them. To me they are like a scrapbook of the best of many bands. Nothing new or original but enjoyable all the same. Often spellbinding.

I've never heard either of them. I'm a bad progster. Shall I listen now? I'm in a bit of a twisted mood.

Be prepared for a lot of masturbatory guitar and non-existent bass.

I've never heard either of them. I'm a bad progster. Shall I listen now? I'm in a bit of a twisted mood.

Be prepared for a lot of masturbatory guitar and non-existent bass.

Hey, don't oversell it!

• Like 3

Do it!!! I should warn you though, Images & Words is a bit easier to "digest".

Like Reader's Digest? Images & Words is what I have on right now. Thanks YouTube. Oooooh . . . saxomophone. . . . gag.

• Like 1

My first Dream Theater experience was hearing Learning to Live on a mix CD that a friend burned back when I was in high school. I was floored.

Soon thereafter I got my hands on both Images and Words and Scenes from a Memory. Images, in my opinion, is the apex of Dream Theater's songwriting and structuring. Scenes is the apex of their instrumentation and complexity. It doesn't hurt that Scenes was Rudess' first album with the band.

Anyways, I truly love both albums, but nothing catches lightning in a bottle like that first listen... Images and Words is a complete album start to finish that never misses a step. One of my desert island albums.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

Scenes far and away. Personally I find Images around middle of the road, a dated sounding Queensryche knockoff, even if some of the songs are good. Scenes is their best after Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
  • Like 1

Scenes far and away. Personally I find Images around middle of the road, a dated sounding Queensryche knockoff, even if some of the songs are good. Scenes is their best after Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

Ha! I'm not the only one to enjoy Six Degrees more!!

Scenes hasn't interested me in a long while. I find it a real chore compared to many of their other albums.

Rewarding and beautiful. But...they have albums I find more entertaining.

Six Degrees honestly WOULD be my fav if it was just disc 2.

Disc 1 is a bit of a chore most days for me.

Mick

....WAT

There's so much variety on Disc 1 that I love and it's also a huge part of why I love BCSL.

The Glass Prison is their heaviest shit not on Black Clouds or Train of Thought.

Blind Faith is beautifully weird.

Misunderstood is similar in that regard.

The Great Debate sucks. I'll give you that.

Disappear is a good acoustic number.

Then yeah, Disc 2 is easily one of the best things they've ever done.

Ha! I'm not the only one to enjoy Six Degrees more!!

Scenes hasn't interested me in a long while. I find it a real chore compared to many of their other albums.

Rewarding and beautiful. But...they have albums I find more entertaining.

Scenes is best enjoyed as a full album for sure, but there are a few moments, like Overture through Fatal Tragedy, Home, or Finally Free that stand tall. I totally get why it can be a chore.