Double albums that would have been better as one

Rutlefan

Physical Graffiti I'm fine with as it is. There are a couple songs on Side 2 that I'm not overly fond of but at least 80% of that album is gold.

I was waiting for this one to come up and I'm happy with this post. One of my fave albums of all time

• Like 3

The f***ing White Album

You are so wrong it's funny

No I'm not. Side 4 is utter shite. Less than B-side material. Switch out Long x3 for Cry Baby Cry and done. Perfect.

It's all amazing. Revolution 9 and Good Night are wonderful

• Like 2

At the risk of upsetting a lot of people : The Wall and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway although brilliant albums would perhaps benefit from being pruned.
  • Like 2

At the risk of upsetting a lot of people : The Wall and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway although brilliant albums would perhaps benefit from being pruned.

If the wall was just an album I might agree. It's really a movie soundtrack though so I think it has to stay as is.

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

1. Astronomy Domine
  2. Careful With That Axe Eugene
  3. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
  4. Grantchester Meadows
  5. The Narrow Way ( Part 1 )
  6. The Narrow Way ( Part 3 )

Another way to consider the question is to imagine that the label had said, "fellas, we can't do a double. You have to trim it down to a single album, or two single albums to be released at separate times." Assuming the band would have picked what they felt to be the strongest tracks for the first release, would they have felt confident enough to release the rest of the tracks as a separate album? (Maybe they would have been confident enough to consider every track as equally great.)
  • Like 1

The above is more or less the idea that motivated the thread. Radiohead's Kid A and Amnesiac was an example of two separate albums coming out of the same recording session as they didn't want to release a double album -- "too much information" supposedly, though I think they would have made a great double album -- hence Amnesiac is sometimes called "Kid B".

Anyway, a couple have mentioned the White Album. Problem I have with that is that 3/4 album is arguably indispensable. Admit that Why Don't We Do It..., Wild Honey Pie, Rev 9 and Good Night are pure filler, or at least don't belong of a Beatles album. Hard for me to throw any of the others out though.

Edited by Rutlefan

The above is more or less the idea that motivated the thread. Radiohead's Kid A and Amnesiac was an example of two separate albums coming out of the same recording session as they didn't want to release a double album -- "too much information" supposedly, though I think they would have made a great double album -- hence Amnesiac is sometimes called "Kid B".

Anyway, a couple have mentioned the White Album. Problem I have with that is that 3/4 album is arguably indispensable. Admit that Why Don't We Do It..., Wild Honey Pie, Rev 9 and Good Night are pure filler, or at least don't belong of a Beatles album. Hard for me to throw any of the others out though.

I LEGIT LOVE EVERY SONG YOU JUST PUT DOWN

• Like 1

I totally understand the reasoning for thinking the White Album suffers from too much filler. There is too much filler. But, I find the sequencing and the pacing of the album essential to enjoying the experience of listening to the album. It's imperfectly perfect. Personally, I wouldn't change a note. Warts and all, it's a wild musical ride.

• Like 3

I totally understand the reasoning for thinking the White Album suffers from too much filler. There is too much filler. But, I find the sequencing and the pacing of the album essential to enjoying the experience of listening to the album. It's imperfectly perfect. Personally, I wouldn't change a note. Warts and all, it's a wild musical ride.

You nailed it perfectly.

This has always been my argument.

You don't just listen to the White Album. You experience it.

I absolutely adore this album, it's crazy and ugly and beautiful and bonkers.

Porcupine Tree - The Incident.

Also, why is Sting´s Nothing Like the Sun on a double vynil? It fits a single CD!

Back in the 'old days', anything that was longer than about 55 minutes was put on two LP's- because the more music that is grooved onto each side of vinyl, the sound quality starts to suffer after a bit.

The longest album side on an LP that I can think of is on Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains the Same- Dazed and Confused is nearly 27 minutes.

The first side of Genesis- Foxtrot is about equal to that as well.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 4

That's cool, I'm sure you're not alone.

• Like 1

Most CDs in the CD-only era running around 60 minutes would have been double albums back in the day and most would hav ebeen better with some trimming down to 45 or so minutes.

Definitely. Wire's latest full-length release was LP length at 44 minutes. Shortly after they released a 26-minute EP of material from the same sessions; the LP got the more live-friendly material, the EP got the rest. They could have combined all of it one one long CD as the quality of the material is fairly even, but I really like how they did it. Wish it were more the norm. Maybe the LP renaissance will inspire more bands to trim the fat, unless they're going for a double LP.

• Like 2

I've said it Before The White Album is my fav album ever.

it's Not a group effort it is a free for all, lol

but that's the Strength of it for me.

it is fun Chaotic and at times unsettling.......i love it.

Mick

I love the randomly capitalized words

• Like 2