LL50

GabesCavesOfIce

In a little over 15 months, a very important anniversary year begins. A union of what ultimately became one of hard rocking prog's most important unions. Hopefully some recorded music from our beloved duo, and perhaps some live dates to commemorate.

I was thinking about that this past week, how far they go back...but isn't it technically 24 months? (The accepted date of the very first Rush gig featuring both Lee and Lifeson is 18 September 1968).
  • Like 1

I was thinking about that this past week, how far they go back...but isn't it technically 24 months? (The accepted date of the very first Rush gig featuring both Lee and Lifeson is 18 September 1968).

Yeah but Gabriel DID say "anniversary year"

Ah! Gotcha.

I have an affinity for pedantry, it seems...even when there was nothing wrong with the point I aimed to clarify. Call it a character defect. :huh:

Mea culpa...

• Like 5

They should tour together...

Now that's a novel idea!

:unsure:

With a competent drummer and female vocalist to sing with Lee at times for those songs out of his range these days.

Now that's a novel idea!

Not really, there's been plenty of threads suggesting this very idea! :P

:sigh:

I know, that was my point. :P

(I was intending to be just a wee bit sarcastic).

• Like 2

Now that's a novel idea!

With a competent drummer and female vocalist to sing with Lee at times for those songs out of his range these days.

Oh...you're being serious!

Now that's a novel idea!

NO FEMALE VOCALISTS! Ack, that would ruin it. There are men who can reach those notes.

• Like 2

Now that's a novel idea!

NO FEMALE VOCALISTS! Ack, that would ruin it. There are men who can reach those notes.

The ONLY way I'd want a female vocalist would be if it's for ONE song, a special guest appearance (on an album or at a gig). Just one.

Two guest vocalists, one man and one woman. I nominate Amiee Mann.

http://image.shutterstock.com/z/stock-vector-sick-looking-green-emoji-emoticon-nauseated-or-about-to-vomit-316775840.jpg

Throwing-Up.jpg

• Like 1

If there is to be any more music from Lee, I certainly don't mind he sings in a range he's more comfortable with, as long as continues to throttle the hell out of his bass guitar. Lifeson can just continue to be Lifeson. From Peart, I'll cheerfully take more words and whatever vestiges of his inventive drumming he can muster.
  • Like 3

If there is to be any more music from Lee, I certainly don't mind he sings in a range he's more comfortable with, as long as continues to throttle the hell out of his bass guitar. Lifeson can just continue to be Lifeson. From Peart, I'll cheerfully take more words and whatever vestiges of his inventive drumming he can muster.

:yes:

:goodone:

What's all this talk about singers?

If Geddy and Alex do something together again it should just be an all instrumental album. There are plenty of talented drummers out there they can pick from to join them.

Forget the damn instruments. It should be a spoken word tour where Alex and Geddy read new poems written by Peart.

If they tour, and if Geddy chooses not to sing or they write material he can no longer sing, then why shouldn't they add another singer?

It's already not Rush, so doesn't that leave the door wide open for anything? Or is there some reason they shouldn't have another singer, especially a female one?

I can't imagine caring whether the singer is male, female, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, gay, straight, tall, short, old, young, etc.

As long as the music matches the singer, I'm completely fine with it.

All that being said, I really doubt they will celebrate for the fans on every contrived anniversary date.

First time they met, first time Geddy joined Alex's music ventures, first gig, first paid gig, first tour, first time out of the Toronto area, first time in the States...

Now, all that being said, if they do celebrate in some fashion for the fans, even that often, I'll still be happy about it.

Edited by Mosher

I can't imagine caring whether the singer is male, female, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, gay, straight, tall, short, old, young, etc.

As long as the music matches the singer, I'm completely fine with it.

If Geddy and Alex write all the music, it's inevitable that that music will sound similar (to some degree) to Rush. And with Rush music, I can't think of a female vocalist that matches even a fraction of their work. I can pick a few songs here and there in which a female vocalist MIGHT work (Time Stand Still, The Garden [maybe]). But imho, it wouldn't constitute enough to get a female vocalist for an entire album or tour.

On the other end, I wouldn't have a male vocalist singing an Ani DiFranco song no matter how good a singer they are.

• Like 1

Whatever you want to say about Lee's voice now, it still has that recognizable timbre. I'm still charmed by it, and he can still sing as long as he doesn't push it past his limitations.
  • Like 4