Alex says, "Rush Can't Just Stop"

Ron2112

While I'm as hopefully the run is not over as anyone else, I don't think he was referring to Rush in that statement. You put it in quotes as though he said that, but he didn't. He didn't include "Rush".

Look a couple of sentences before those words. He said "We’ve been following up on some other interests that we both have, and we’ve been learning to get used to the idea." The WE he's referring to, in my opinion and sadly enough, is just him and Geddy. He even says "we both have".

Again, I would be thrilled at more Rush, but Neil's new book sure doesn't seem to leave me with an impression that it's even remotely possible.

Edited by ThanksRUSH
  • Like 5

While I'm as hopefully the run is not over as anyone else, I don't think he was referring to Rush in that statement. You put it in quotes as though he said that, but he didn't. He didn't include "Rush".

And even if he was, it's not like he was releasing an official policy statement. For all we know, Neil's response to hearing Alex say "Rush just can't stop" was, "Wanna' bet?"

• Like 4

I really don't give a shit anymore if I get a ton of hate. Can these two PLEASE go on tour with a different drummer? Granted it won't be Rush but it would at least be something....Hell, "New World Men" could definitely work as a title for the project. Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

I really don't give a shit anymore if I get a ton of hate. Can these two PLEASE go on tour with a different drummer? Granted it won't be Rush but it would at least be something....Hell, "New World Men" could definitely work as a title for the project.

Then it would not be :rush: , and i would not like that.

Edited by Surrender74
  • Like 1

And even if he was, it's not like he was releasing an official policy statement. For all we know, Neil's response to hearing Alex say "Rush just can't stop" was, "Wanna' bet?"

I agree. I think Alex may just be saying that the well of creativity doesn't just dry up, just like that.

Considering that the R40 tour was a full three years after the release of their last studio album, I would bet that he and Geddy have had at least a few new songs cooked up for a little while. That's just speculation, sure, but I still believe it's so.

More music in the future could just mean a project other than Rush.

• Like 3

I really don't give a shit anymore if I get a ton of hate. Can these two PLEASE go on tour with a different drummer? Granted it won't be Rush but it would at least be something....Hell, "New World Men" could definitely work as a title for the project.

I would think they would call it something different, and I'd buy a ticket! :)

• Like 7

I agree; I wouldn't want them to just find a 'replacement' for Professor Peart and go out and play. It just doesn't seem right.

• Like 4

You BASTARD...hmmm actually I'm of the same opinion.

• Like 2

I think he's just talking about being a musician in general. I'm sure they're working on stuff at home, and playing for their own enjoyment. Doesn't mean they're going to do anything as a band again. A lot can be read into ambiguous statements like that.

I can't believe that anyone here would want them to turn into another greatest hits band.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 7

They were artists before they ever knew Neil and are artists now. They play music, and enjoy doing so. They like working together.

They have the right to keep going, and they owe it to themselves to keep going, if they want to.

Neil's choice remains Neil's, and it's a fine choice for a man who's arms are killing him after a tour.

But if Ged and Alex want to play music together, they should. I'd be there in a heart beat.

I'd advise against calling it Rush, but otherwise what harm is done?

They can't make Neil go on, but he can't make them stop.

• Like 8

Man, I've been wanting them to tour with a different drummer for years and years, but now that Geddy can't sing, I think they'd need to bring along a singer as well, or play just the songs that he can handle.

• Like 3

Well, if Rush goes on, then Rush goes on, and everybody's happy. If not, then I still think that Geddy and Alex will want to record more material (possibly even together), and a lot of people will be happy. I just hope that everyone comes to a decision soon because they're not getting any younger. I'd even be happy with a retirement announcement, as at least then we'll all know what's going on and we won't have our hopes up. In my gut, though, I really think that Rush has another album in it. I hope I'm right.
  • Like 1

I just think Alex and Geddy have been musicians practicing at their craft for over 40 years. It seems like it would be difficult to turn that off. I doubt that they would be happy as a greatest hits band, but I'm really interested to see if they will have another, new project and what it will be like.

Other artists have done something similar at times- Nikki Sixx has his Sixx AM band with completely different members than Motley Crue, although I guess they do an acoustic cover of a Crue song once in a while. Somehow (amazing energy!) Ann Wilson tours with Nancy as Heart and also has "The Ann Wilson Thing" touring solo with a different band at the same time. She does material she wants to explore other than Heart songs. So who knows what Al and Geddy could come up with? :popcorn: (waiting as long as I need to :) )

• Like 4

Man, I've been wanting them to tour with a different drummer for years and years, but now that Geddy can't sing, I think they'd need to bring along a singer as well, or play just the songs that he can handle.

Geddy Lee can't sing? What kind of f***ing bullshit is that?

• Like 1

Geddy Lee can't sing? What kind of f***ing bullshit is that?

You're right. I should fix that to read "Geddy can't sing very well these days". Yeah, he can still sing, but then so can I. There's a reason why I don't (and shouldn't).