Face Up appreciation thread

lifeson90

Not sure if this thread will end well.

I just finished listening to it now and still don't like it. Each instrument by itself is fine but everything seems noticeably wimpier. I can only blame

*Neil for sticking with the Terry Brown firing is good for RUSH forever theory*, instead of say a few albums or so. Mainly though, it's the lyrics & backing vocals of "face up" that bring the song down and into the cheesy ballpark for me.

Fixed

Ahhh, the 'ol "fixed" switcheroo shit, one of my favorite TRF pet peeves. Why even do that? Why not just say what you want about Peart?

That's not just a TRF thing. It's common on all message boards.

I know it's common on all message boards. VD is common on all continents too

http://blog.earlymoments.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/220x350_cat.jpg

:musicnote: Cat Scratch Fever :musicnote:

Are you a Libra? ;)

Thats a bit much ....VD? cuz I saw Rupert Hine, bad production, and winced??

At least I made it obvious which words were modified.

Not bad to try out different producers, but it was about this point in their career they should have realized that Browns work with them was superior.

Nothing personal, I just always hated the "fixed" thang.

Anyway, I would've thought they'd go with Collins again. I wonder what happened there...because, as we know now, they did go back to Collins eventually.

It's almost ironic they went back to other producers but never ever back to their best producer.

I think they went with Rupert mainly because Collins felt the band needed to branch out and work with different producers. At least I seem to remember reading that one time.

• Like 1

It's mind blowing Face Up is from the same band that gave us Hemispheres.

Why didn't they * at the very least * experiment with a track or two 1986 - 1995 trying to reconnect with their classic sound

With that new CD tech, the capacity certainly existed

Why didn't they * at the very least * experiment with a track or two 1986 - 1995 trying to reconnect with their classic sound

I didn't mind if Rush sounded and wriote completely different songs ,they are not AC/DC.Hemispheres was my first Rush album and still one of my faves but I love RTB and although Face Up imo is one of the lesser tracks it still rocks on and a blasting solo from Alex.
  • Like 1

This was the first album I bought on CD. This was the peak of the "Geddy sings in his lower range period." Combined with the wimpy-ish production, it doesn't age well. I remember trying so hard to like this song because it was the hardest tune on the record. I was just never able to do it.

This came during Neil's introspective period. The song isn't the greatest, but the lyrics are. These are my favorite type of lyrics along with other songs like Neurotica, War Paint, Enemy Within, Stick It Out, and Double Agent and so forth. I actually thought Neil was going through therapy back in the day by some of the lyrics he was writing. They hit home as well as I've always had issues with anxiety.
  • Like 1

I didn't mind if Rush sounded and wriote completely different songs ,they are not AC/DC.Hemispheres was my first Rush album and still one of my faves but I love RTB and although Face Up imo is one of the lesser tracks it still rocks on and a blasting solo from Alex.

Albums like Presto and RTB got me into Rush, so they still have meaning to me after all these years. I have songs in my top 5 off those albums. Still, when I first walked my way backwards through their catalog...just wow.

• Like 1

Face Up? Are you guys fecking kidding me?

Nope. I really like it. Some other people do, too. I think that's what this thread is about.

For those of you who may not understand- I think an appreciation thread is intended for the appreciation of something.

I mean, case in point- I'd be just fine if Test For Echo had never been released. It's a big ol' pile of meh, to me. But I wouldn't go into a thread that's meant to celebrate it, just to say that I think it's a load of bollocks. I wouldn't post anything at all in it.

Just one guy's opinion. :huh:

I know, I know...variety is the spice of life, and all that.

Hmph.

• Like 3

Nope. I really like it. Some other people do, too. I think that's what this thread is about.

For those of you who may not understand- I think an appreciation thread is intended for the appreciation of something.

I mean, case in point- I'd be just fine if Test For Echo had never been released. It's a big ol' pile of meh, to me. But I wouldn't go into a thread that's meant to celebrate it, just to say that I think it's a load of bollocks. I wouldn't post anything at all in it.

Hmph.

Good on you!

It's not one of my faves.

It's also not You Bet Your Life!

• Like 2

Hmph.

Good on you!

Heh heh...you've got that right. Only less-than-bright spot on Roll the Bones, for me. Yeah, I don't like that one.

I don't think I've ever seen an appreciation thread for it, though.

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Hmph.

Good on you!

Heh heh...you've got that right. Only less-than-bright spot on Roll the Bones, for me. Yeah, I don't like that one.

You realize you have just encouraged someone to start one! :laughing guy:

Hmph.

Good on you!

I'll start the You Bet Your Life appreciation thread.Hated it at first,love it now,especially the outro.Cat among the pigeons time.

Hmph.

Good on you!

I'll start the You Bet Your Life appreciation thread.Hated it at first,love it now,especially the outro.Cat among the pigeons time.

Really?

You should do it! Seriously.

I wouldn't be able to post in it, myself. But hey, go for it.

• Like 2