Rush Getting Key to the City of Toronto

Syrinx

It wouldn't hurt him to show up and, if anyone wants to know part of the reason why some of us don't care for Neil, this is one - his attitude.

Geddy once said, if someone wants to honor you, you ought to be gracious enough to accept it.

Take it easy on Neil- he grew up in St. Catherines,ON. about an 1.5 hr .away from Toronto and was not even involved with Pre- fly by night Rush projects,or Willowdale/Toronto and what John Tory our mayor did by giving RUSH the key to the city is a great thing!!!

. Toronto- Willowdale is all about Geddy and Alex growing up there- elementary- high school- even John Rutsey long before Neil so of course Al and Ged will attend..to premote the city in their home town.. . Its highly likely Neil is busy with the (retired Family)in California).-but FOR SURE will be tuned in to this. no different than neil arriving at a venue on a bike- and Geddy and Alex doing meet and greets .. Cheers John Tory great job brother

Please spare me the excuses.

• Like 2

This thread has become a(nother) case of much ado about absolutely nothing.

So Neil wasn't there. Okay. I don't lose sleep over things like this, personally.

I hope he had a good day with his family...or driving, or riding, or writing.

As has been stated, the park is named after Lee and Lifeson, and not Peart. So I don't get why there should be any issues.

Because Neil got a key as well to the city. If it had only been about the park, no one would care. But because they were also including him with a specific form of recognition, it means something that he should show up.

• Like 2

So Neil wasn't there. Okay. I don't lose sleep over things like this, personally.

As has been stated, the park is named after Lee and Lifeson, and not Peart. So I don't get why there should be any issues.

Because Neil got a key as well to the city. If it had only been about the park, no one would care. But because they were also including him with a specific form of recognition, it means something that he should show up.

So Neil was also a recipient of a key to the city. But he had, what, a week's notice about this? In addition to what others have said about this being pretty much a Lee-Lifeson thing and therefore specifically not a Neil thing, did you ever give any thought to the fact that maybe Neil wasn't even available to go?

Neil doesn't owe anyone anything.

• Like 3

So Neil was also a recipient of a key to the city. But he had, what, a week's notice about this? In addition to what others have said about this being pretty much a Lee-Lifeson thing and therefore specifically not a Neil thing, did you ever give any thought to the fact that maybe Neil wasn't even available to go?

To me it would seem awkward if he were there.

Not saying he does, just explaining why it is an issue.

• Like 1

Just thought I'd share this news report to the thread:

I love how at the end, the news anchor lists other artists that have received the key to Toronto, and wryly tacks on Nickelback at the end.

Canadianice, were you the first fan who spoke? :) You can't fool me. ;)

Edited by Lorraine

Hey I'm among the first to criticize Neil for his abrupt and possibly absolute retirement but criticism here is not entirely fair.Its the Lee Lifespan Park, and oh yeah, a week before opening, we're honouring Neil as well.

The park is in the Willowdale neighbourhood of Toronto, where Alex n Ged are from, not Neil.

I know it can be confusing since Neil wrote the phrase willows in the breeze, but that's Lakeside Park, near St Catherine's, his stomping grounds.

Aside from the criticism of "his abrupt and possible absolute retirement," I'm right there with you.

Three mos notice for me is abrupt, but hey, it's like debating spilt milk ;)

From my perspective it was a lot longer than that (a year, probably more), but yeah spilled milk......

I guess the weird thing about this with regard to Rush is that it's not actually a Rush thing, it's a Geddy and Alex thing. It's a celebration not of Rush itself, but of Willowdale's famous local boys, who are famous because they happen to be in Rush. A fine distinction, but in fact in this case Neil is actively excluded even if not by any hostile intentions. It's the first time I can remember that Neil's absence would have a logical origination from the specific nature of the celebration rather than from his own choice not to appear.

Ding Ding Ding!

Just like the future for Geddy and Alex is likely a Geddy/Alex thing. They'll figure it out. Sometimes they're a little slow and things don't occur to them right away.

Hey I'm among the first to criticize Neil for his abrupt and possibly absolute retirement but criticism here is not entirely fair.Its the Lee Lifespan Park, and oh yeah, a week before opening, we're honouring Neil as well.

The park is in the Willowdale neighbourhood of Toronto, where Alex n Ged are from, not Neil.

I know it can be confusing since Neil wrote the phrase willows in the breeze, but that's Lakeside Park, near St Catherine's, his stomping grounds.

Aside from the criticism of "his abrupt and possible absolute retirement," I'm right there with you.

From my perspective it was a lot longer than that (a year, probably more), but yeah spilled milk......

Last tour of this magnitude was announced in late Jan 2015. Tickets for shows near me gone within weeks. Tour started in early May, roughly 3 mos after announcement

Last tour of this magnitude was announced in late Jan 2015. Tickets for shows near me gone within weeks. Tour started in early May, roughly 3 mos after announcement

All true.

But there were signs after the Clockwork Angels Tour was over. Even before that. There was no plan for an R40 Tour. I'm still as surprised as anyone that there was one. But this road has been well traveled.