Rush Getting Key to the City of Toronto

Syrinx

It wouldn't hurt him to show up and, if anyone wants to know part of the reason why some of us don't care for Neil, this is one - his attitude.

Geddy once said, if someone wants to honor you, you ought to be gracious enough to accept it.

I agree.

Maybe he'll surprise us and show up! :)

Yea and sheep will fly out of the naked star man's butt. :baabaa: :baabaa: :baabaa: :baabaa: :baabaa: :moon:

The pain the naked starman would endure with those flying sheep is equivalent to the pain Peart feels in making a public appearance.

That bad eh? Haha :-D

Nice honor for the guys..well deserved. I certainly don't expect Neil to attend. I know this is one of the reasons why some people don't care for Neil, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he doesn't care about his/their fans. He's on record saying that he and the guys always put max effort into their shows and so that fans would never see them mail it in. I've always respected that, and the fact that they don't leave the venue after sound check..to ensure that they're never late for a show.
  • Like 1

Hey I'm among the first to criticize Neil for his abrupt and possibly absolute retirement but criticism here is not entirely fair.Its the Lee Lifespan Park, and oh yeah, a week before opening, we're honouring Neil as well.

The park is in the Willowdale neighbourhood of Toronto, where Alex n Ged are from, not Neil.

I know it can be confusing since Neil wrote the phrase willows in the breeze, but that's Lakeside Park, near St Catherine's, his stomping grounds.

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 2

Hey I'm among the first to criticize Neil for his abrupt and possibly absolute retirement but criticism here is not entirely fair.Its the Lee Lifespan Park, and oh yeah, a week before opening, we're honouring Neil as well.

The park is in the Willowdale neighbourhood of Toronto, where Alex n Ged are from, not Neil.

I know it can be confusing since Neil wrote the phrase willows in the breeze, but that's Lakeside Park, near St Catherine's, his stomping grounds.

Aside from the criticism of "his abrupt and possible absolute retirement," I'm right there with you.

It wouldn't hurt him to show up and, if anyone wants to know part of the reason why some of us don't care for Neil, this is one - his attitude.

Geddy once said, if someone wants to honor you, you ought to be gracious enough to accept it.

Take it easy on Neil- he grew up in St. Catherines,ON. about an 1.5 hr .away from Toronto and was not even involved with Pre- fly by night Rush projects,or Willowdale/Toronto and what John Tory our mayor did by giving RUSH the key to the city is a great thing!!!

. Toronto- Willowdale is all about Geddy and Alex growing up there- elementary- high school- even John Rutsey long before Neil so of course Al and Ged will attend..to premote the city in their home town.. . Its highly likely Neil is busy with the (retired Family)in California).-but FOR SURE will be tuned in to this. no different than neil arriving at a venue on a bike- and Geddy and Alex doing meet and greets .. Cheers John Tory great job brother

• Like 4

Aside from the criticism of "his abrupt and possible absolute retirement," I'm right there with you.

Three mos notice for me is abrupt, but hey, it's like debating spilt milk ;)

And I'm sure that we'll do something in the future. We can't just stop playing and writing music together."

But I love playing, and I play a lot. And sooner or later, the right thing will happen."

Uh, sooner or later?

Clocks ticking guys....

Next time you quit a job TRF expects you to give more than 3 months notice to your company. :poke:

• Like 1

Next time you quit a job TRF expects you to give more than 3 months notice to your company. :poke:

Unfortunately my musical skills and breaks in life did not afford me wealth, a massive fan base and the freedom to live life the way I choose.

Had I been so fortunate and skilled, I'd certainly give a crap about those that supported me for 40 years.

Unfortunately my musical skills and breaks in life did not afford me wealth, a massive fan base and the freedom to live life the way I choose.

Had I been so fortunate and skilled, I'd certainly give a crap about those that supported me for 40 years.

Excuses. You need to give a minimum of 3 months notice

This thread has become a(nother) case of much ado about absolutely nothing.

So Neil wasn't there. Okay. I don't lose sleep over things like this, personally.

I hope he had a good day with his family...or driving, or riding, or writing.

As has been stated, the park is named after Lee and Lifeson, and not Peart. So I don't get why there should be any issues.

• Like 6

This thread has become a(nother) case of much ado about absolutely nothing.

So Neil wasn't there. Okay. I don't lose sleep over things like this, personally.

I hope he had a good day with his family...or driving, or riding, or writing.

As has been stated, the park is named after Lee and Lifeson, and not Peart. So I don't get why there should be any issues.

I agree the park is named after Al n Ged and Neil is not from that area and currently lives very VERY far away...but...

34 of the past 38 months RUSH has been publicly dormant.

It's a cold and barren RUSH future that awaits us.

I mean, we gotta talk :rush: about SOMETHING, right??

I guess the weird thing about this with regard to Rush is that it's not actually a Rush thing, it's a Geddy and Alex thing. It's a celebration not of Rush itself, but of Willowdale's famous local boys, who are famous because they happen to be in Rush. A fine distinction, but in fact in this case Neil is actively excluded even if not by any hostile intentions. It's the first time I can remember that Neil's absence would have a logical origination from the specific nature of the celebration rather than from his own choice not to appear.
  • Like 3

Oh man... I just got back from Halifax, NS. I've spent a week on PEI and before that 3 days in Toronto. So when I read about this last Thursday while being on PEI I was kicking myself. Why did I go to YYZ before PEI and not after?!? :facepalm: If I had done that I would have been able to go to this event :facepalm: Rebooking my flight home and buying an extra ticket from YYG to YYZ was so super expensive, so that was not an option. This made (and still makes) me feel so sad :( I was so close, yet so far away.

Oh man... I just got back from Halifax, NS. I've spent a week on PEI and before that 3 days in Toronto. So when I read about this last Thursday while being on PEI I was kicking myself. Why did I go to YYZ before PEI and not after?!? :facepalm: If I had done that I would have been able to go to this event :facepalm: Rebooking my flight home and buying an extra ticket from YYG to YYZ was so super expensive, so that was not an option. This made (and still makes) me feel so sad :( I was so close, yet so far away.

Oh no! That would feel very frustrating. All the way from the Netherlands and then missing the ceremony, shoot. I'm right there with you- my husband was excited by the idea of a road trip (we are about 6 hrs away) but I got the stomach flu on Friday and had it all weekend. At least you have the memories and your great film from the R40 concerts you were able to see. (I think my husband just wanted to spy on my heroes, anyway :D ! )

• Like 1

Oh no! That would feel very frustrating. All the way from the Netherlands and then missing the ceremony, shoot. I'm right there with you- my husband was excited by the idea of a road trip (we are about 6 hrs away) but I got the stomach flu on Friday and had it all weekend. At least you have the memories and your great film from the R40 concerts you were able to see. (I think my husband just wanted to spy on my heroes, anyway :D ! )

Oh, that's also too bad. You were also so close, yet unable to make this one as well :( Are you feeling better now?

• Like 1

Oh, that's also too bad. You were also so close, yet unable to make this one as well :( Are you feeling better now?

Yes, fortunately! Thank you for asking. And what is past is past, but you're right, I can't help feeling a little sad. Maybe they will get another honor in the future! We can only hope! :D

• Like 1