JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 20733 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:26 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 14 September 2016 - 06:05 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 14 September 2016 - 05:42 PM, said:

About half of Test For Echo is D standard - title track, Driven, Color of Right, Totem, I don't know the story on the rest of them for sure

You're right about Test For Echo, but Driven is definitely in normal E standard. That main riff is all pulloffs to an open A string, and the riff after the bass interlude ends on an open E.

You're right about Driven...that said, there is a low-sounding D chord during the choruses but that's handled by the bass. It's a fun song. We used to do that one, Half The World, Virtuality, and Dog Years.

Sponsored Post

#22 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 34361 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:28 PM

View PostJARG, on 14 September 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 14 September 2016 - 06:05 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 14 September 2016 - 05:42 PM, said:

About half of Test For Echo is D standard - title track, Driven, Color of Right, Totem, I don't know the story on the rest of them for sure

You're right about Test For Echo, but Driven is definitely in normal E standard. That main riff is all pulloffs to an open A string, and the riff after the bass interlude ends on an open E.

You're right about Driven...that said, there is a low-sounding D chord during the choruses but that's handled by the bass. It's a fun song. We used to do that one, Half The World, Virtuality, and Dog Years.

Makes sense -- live, Geddy used a different bass on that song, and I assumed it was tuned to drop-D.

#23 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridgeâ„¢

• Members *
  • 10253 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:10 AM

I think that in Making Memories from FBN, the main guitar is in standard, but the slide guitar is either open G or C, probably G

#24 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:58 AM

View PostFridge, on 15 September 2016 - 05:10 AM, said:

I think that in Making Memories from FBN, the main guitar is in standard, but the slide guitar is either open G or C, probably G

I didn't think about that one.  I would assume that the slide guitar is tuned differently.

#25 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6579 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

View PostFridge, on 15 September 2016 - 05:10 AM, said:

Actually, you can play that solo in standard tuning.  I worked it out once; I'm not a very good slide player but it sort of sounded right.

#26 Symmetre

Symmetre

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Travel, wine, music, photography.

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:19 PM

Headlong Flight is absolutely in standard tuning.

The Wreckers is played on a 12 string with Nashville tuning.

#27 hunter

hunter

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1590 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:00 PM

On the live video and seeing it live it sure seems Headlong Flight is in open E tuning. There are all kinds of alternate tunings on Snakes and arrows too.

#28 TFEman

TFEman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:Rush, guitar, drums, tv, food

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:16 PM

Possibly Losing It (half step down)
Between The Wheels (drop D)
The Big Money (step up)
Mystic Rhythms (half step down)
There are small riffs in Superconductor that may have been done with a guitar tuned a step down
Stick It Out (drop D)
Test For Echo (step down)
Driven (possibly step down, I doubt it though)
The Color of Right (step down)
Spindrift (possibly a step down)
The Main Monkey Business (I have no idea if this is how it was written but it can be played in standard tuning just fine)
Bravest Face (drop D or step down)
The Way The Wind Blows (Pretty sure it is, I don't know for sure)
Hope (weird drop tuning)
Carnies (open E)
Headlong Flight (open E)
Halo Effect (Same weird tuning as Hope, I believe)

Edited by TFEman, 04 October 2016 - 09:17 PM.

#29 rushfanNlv

rushfanNlv

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2073 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:54 PM

This is from an article I read.  He talks about using 'Nashville' tuning on PW.

What about guitars on Permanent Waves?

The 355 I used on almost every song, and for leads I played both the Pyramid and the '78 Strat-which, by this time, had the humbucking pickup in it. "The Spirit Of Radio" and " Different Strings" was the Strat and "Jacob's Ladder" was the Pyramid. For acoustics I had my J-55 in standard tuning, and my Dove in Nashville tuning. On the latter the bottom three strings-the E, A, and D-were tuned to octaves, using thinner strings.

Why did you do that?

Well, on "Entre Nous" we wanted to get a 12-string sound, but the B-45 that I'd been using had a crack in the body; also, the neck was giving way, and the tone just didn't seem to be happening. So we tried a combination of the standard tuning and the Nashville tuning on two guitars: Together they approximated a single 12-string layout. And everything rang clear, so that's why we did that. I'm sure we'll do it again in the future.

#30 Super25Smasher

Super25Smasher

The Oracle

• Members *
  • 10516 posts
  • Interests:Classic Rock, Punk Rock, Alternative Rock/Grunge, Metal, Classic Video Games, Playing Bass Guitar

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:18 PM

I read on Wikipedia that Totem was in Drop C, but I'm not sure if that's true.

#31 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4545 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:20 PM

View PostrushfanNlv, on 18 October 2016 - 04:54 PM, said:

This is from an article I read.  He talks about using 'Nashville' tuning on PW.

What about guitars on Permanent Waves?

The 355 I used on almost every song, and for leads I played both the Pyramid and the '78 Strat-which, by this time, had the humbucking pickup in it. "The Spirit Of Radio" and " Different Strings" was the Strat and "Jacob's Ladder" was the Pyramid. For acoustics I had my J-55 in standard tuning, and my Dove in Nashville tuning. On the latter the bottom three strings-the E, A, and D-were tuned to octaves, using thinner strings.

Why did you do that?

Well, on "Entre Nous" we wanted to get a 12-string sound, but the B-45 that I'd been using had a crack in the body; also, the neck was giving way, and the tone just didn't seem to be happening. So we tried a combination of the standard tuning and the Nashville tuning on two guitars: Together they approximated a single 12-string layout. And everything rang clear, so that's why we did that. I'm sure we'll do it again in the future.

you'd think by the time PW came out he could afford to rent or borrow a decent 12 string for a small part of one track.

Edited by HemiBeers, 29 December 2017 - 10:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users