Prog song battle: Comfortably Numb vs. Carry On Wayward Son

EagleMoon

Song battle: Comfortably Numb or Carry On Wayward Son  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Comfortably Numb
    • Carry On Wayward Son

Now if the battle had been between Comfortably Numb and another Floyd classic with a monumental guitar solo by Gilmour,Time ,that would have been a real challenge to pick a winner!However as its not,and as much as Carry On is a great Kansas song,Comfortably Numb easily gets my vote! One of rocks greatest guitar solo's!

Why these two songs? They don't have much in common apart from being singles.

Because I thought they might be similarly liked, and so far I'm right.

Edited by EagleMoon

Both? Why not both? :LOL:

I think Comfortably Numb has more prog culture attached to it. It's a more popular song, at the very least, and more critically applauded. And ultimately it's what really got me into liking guitars. My vote therefore goes to Pink Floyd, even though it might be the boring choice.

My vote goes to Kansas. I am different than a lot of people here; I don't like a lot of Pink Floyd. I love the album Wish You Were Here, the songs seem simpler or less cluttered or something than some others. I do like Comfortably Numb and the guitar work but not as much as Wayward Son. Good poll !
  • Like 3

I can completely understand the appeal of Pink Floyd, but I was never a fan

Kansas, all the way .... Carry On Wayward Son rocks, and has so much great guitar

I forget how old I was when that song came out - in my early twenties - but to this day, when he sings "Now your life's no longer empty, surely heaven waits for you", I tear up.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 5

I can completely understand the appeal of Pink Floyd, but I was never a fan

Kansas, all the way .... Carry On Wayward Son rocks, and has so much great guitar

I forget how old I was when that song came out - in my early twenties - but to this day, when he sings "Now your life's no longer empty, surely heaven waits for you", I tear up.

Same here. Steve Walsh was a gorgeous singer before the drugs ruined his voice.

• Like 1

What drug was he on? I know nothing about the band other than their music Just quickly looked Kansas up and it says that Walsh retired from the band two years ago.

Cocaine. Pretty bad from what I heard. He left the band originally back in 1981 then rejoined and then quit again.

Tough decision. Comfortably Numb has that amazing dreamy chorus and those incredible solos. On the other hand, Wayward Son is like a musical buffet - so many different bits, all pleasing.
  • Like 1