Epic and/or Less-than-epic Rush covers...

alieninvasion76

There is much video evidence available out there of attempts to imitate Rush, ranging from decent to epic, including some big-name Rush geeks!

As you can imagine though, there's also some pretty lame attempts at covering Rush as well.

Thought it'd be fun for people to post videos they may have come across in either the "good" or "lame" categories.

I'll start it off with a "lame' but nevertheless entertaining one taken from American Idol (of all places)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOQQKGTXF_0a

• Like 1

I think there's a pretty amusing death metal sort of cover of subdivisions with Cookie Monster on vocals. Can't remember the band, though.

Edit - I might be thinking of Omnium Gatherum . . . it's pretty funny, though. I mean, it has to be a joke, right . . . ?

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

I think there's a pretty amusing death metal sort of cover of subdivisions with Cookie Monster on vocals.

Cookie Monster could be a vocalist in any number of bands when it comes to death metal. :LOL:

• Like 2

I think there's a pretty amusing death metal sort of cover of subdivisions with Cookie Monster on vocals. Can't remember the band, though.

Edit - I might be thinking of Omnium Gatherum . . . it's pretty funny, though. I mean, it has to be a joke, right . . . ?

Scary German Guy on the Red Star tribute did Passage to Bangkok

Edited by Prog snob
  • Like 1

I think there's a pretty amusing death metal sort of cover of subdivisions with Cookie Monster on vocals.

Cookie Monster could be a vocalist in any number of bands when it comes to death metal. :LOL:

yeah . . . CM gets around.

• Like 1

No such thing as a good Rush cover.

Only Rush can play Rush.

You dislike the material that much?

I have nothing against the material. It's just that Rush have a special feeling when they play live. So even if a cover band play it correct it still does not sound the same. Because they dont have the same feeling as Rush do when they play live.

And thats why I dislike cover Rush bands.

Only Rush can play Rush.

I disagree. Jacob Moon's acoustic version of Subdivisions was so good that even Rush themselves approved and asked him to play at some event (forgot what it was exactly) in their place.

I have heard it. But I thought it was bad and boring.

Only Rush can play Rush.

I disagree. Jacob Moon's acoustic version of Subdivisions was so good that even Rush themselves approved and asked him to play at some event (forgot what it was exactly) in their place.

I'm not surprised. Sometimes I think you think that Rush is better than Rush.

Only Rush can play Rush.

What you mean by that?

Only Rush can play Rush.

What you mean by that?

He means that he does not respect your individual tastes.

• Like 1

Only Rush can play Rush.

What you mean by that?

To bad for him. I could not care less...

Subdivisions has been covered in a variety of styles, and in most cases it works. That to me speaks about the strength of the material. Rush are fine musicians, no doubt, but they are also fine song writers. I think their material is a real strength of the band.

There is much video evidence available out there of attempts to imitate Rush, ranging from decent to epic, including some big-name Rush geeks!

As you can imagine though, there's also some pretty lame attempts at covering Rush as well.

Thought it'd be fun for people to post videos they may have come across in either the "good" or "lame" categories.

I'll start it off with a "lame' but nevertheless entertaining one taken from American Idol (of all places)...

https://www.youtube....?v=AOQQKGTXF_0a

I love how the music comes in as he leaves...

Exit the warrior

Only Rush can play Rush.

Boo you

Rush often suck at sounding like Rush.

• Like 3

Only Rush can play Rush.

What you mean by that?

To bad for him. I could not care less...

I'm not sure where GeddysMullet got that from. And I don't know why you're listening to that since I didn't say anything about respect or individual tastes. It was partly a bad joke but mainly that, imho, you seem to put Rush on such a high pedestal that they're infallible. My wording was phrased badly so sorry about that. Not respecting your individual tastes didn't even cross my mind. You're not exactly the first person to dislike Rush covers.

As a creative college radio DJ who would get in trouble for actually playing Rush since they are too mainstream, here are some of my favorite Rush Covers. Though, they will obviously never surpass the originals:

Subdivisions- Allegaeon

Animate- Allegaeon

Twilight Zone- Steven Wilson

Something for Nothing- Jacob Moon

Subdivisions- Jacob Moon (obviously)

Limelight- Jacob Moon

Closer to the Heart- Fates Warning

Anthem- Anthrax (yes, Anthrax is also much too big, but I live life on the edge. The cover itself has much fewer listens than their hits)

Overture/Temple of Syrinx- Benedictum

Tears- Alice In Chains (never played on the show, but as a big fan of Alice In Chains even with William Duvall, had to put this here)

Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection

or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldEditEdit in GingerEdit in Ginger×

Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection

or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldEditEdit in GingerEdit in Ginger×

This reads like a drunken Neil lyric.