Double Agent appreciation thread?

BassMasterGeneral

I feel like this song is never mentioned, despite it being honestly one of their best songs, post GUP, everything that makes Rush great, mood changes, tempo changes, hardness and softness, great lyrics, all in one song. How do you guys feel about it? Am I giving it too much credit?
  • Like 2

"So TIGHT!"

Lol I was just thinking about that, Geddy always knows how to make me uncomfortable.

No Geddy, I will NOT spit it out right now

All of which reminds me of this old thread:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/86445-pickup-lines-with-rush-lyrics/page__hl__%2Bpickup+%2Blines

On that tour, I remember feeling the stage flames on my face during Double Agent. 2nd row in front of Lifeson, the closest I'd ever get to see them. I also remember Alex being beefier than normal since he had gotten into weightlifting in those days.

DA and most of Counterparts was a nice, refreshing change from Bones...though I still enjoyed the Bones tour a lot.

• Like 2

What exactly bugs people about the repeated phrase "so tight"?

I think it's how it's sung or something.

It's very cliche.

You mean because the line "wound up so tight" is a cliche, or the sung repetition of the phrase is a cliched thing to do with vocals, or both?

I really love Double Agent and think it is a fantastic song. It's different from the rest of their stuff, but at the same time it really works. I love the music, the lyrics, and the contrast of the spoken word and singing vocals. A++, would listen to again!
  • Like 5

I really love Double Agent and think it is a fantastic song. It's different from the rest of their stuff, but at the same time it really works. I love the music, the lyrics, and the contrast of the spoken word and singing vocals. A++, would listen to again!

I think it`s cool how it fits in with the album`s theme of dual experience, in this case `double agency` as a state of double consciousness, between waking and dreaming.

• Like 5

was really hoping the follow up album to CP would have the same kinda feel but we got TFE which great of course but nowhere near as rich and exotic in sound. Counterparts easily gets in my top 3, moreso as it signified the hard rocking and experimental return of the band who i thought were getting a touch too timid by the time RTB came along.

CP - Great album, great memories

• Like 1

was really hoping the follow up album to CP would have the same kinda feel but we got TFE which great of course but nowhere near as rich and exotic in sound. Counterparts easily gets in my top 3, moreso as it signified the hard rocking and experimental return of the band who i thought were getting a touch too timid by the time RTB came along.

CP - Great album, great memories

I remember standing in line the morning of its release at Turtle's Records ... RTB was my first new album and I was nonplussed to say the least about it. But when I first heard CP, relief is the first thing I felt. I had just gotten into the band, and their previous two albums were tepid (production wise) at best. Here was the full rocking Rush I was hoping to hear! So yea, I have fond memories as well. Good album. I don't hold it in as high regard as I did for a long time after it's release, but it still ranks quite high for me, top ten for sure.

• Like 1