What was the origin/purpose of these '70s videos?

Blue J

The reason Rush did those videos was to get themselves promoted on TV shows so they could get a number one single!If Queen could do it with Bohemian Rhapsody then Rush could do it with Xanadu making it the longest 45 single ever.Just being silly
  • Like 1

Anyone else remember The Kenny Everett Video Show ??

Was very popular here in the UK.

The director of the show made the Distant Early Warning video IIRC.

I'm too young to remember it but I believe the legendary BBC music show Old Grey Whistle Test showed the Xanadu video at the time, some of the others may have featured too....

Edited by Lurkst
  • Like 1

Anyone know if there is an exact date (or dates) that those AFTK/Hemispheres videos were recorded?

So far the only info I can find is from the R30 DVD ( that's where these videos were first officially released )

The listing says:

9."A Farewell to Kings" - Seneca College Theatre (1977)

10."Xanadu" - Seneca College Theatre (1977)

11."Circumstances" - Live At The Hammersmith Odeon (1979)

12."La Villa Strangiato" - Live At The Hammersmith Odeon (1979)

In the case of the Hammersmith recording, they probably filmed a dress rehearsal/soundcheck .. The Seneca College film was lip-synched, probably because they didn't have recording equipment there for the show ..

Which leads me to think that the Hammersmith show was officially recorded !!

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

A vendor at a record show many years ago told me the Rush videos (from Kings and Hemispheres) used to be shown on HBO in the late'70s in between movies. I didn't have HBO then, so I don't know if that was true. He had a ton of stuff, but I was only interested in those Rush videos.

A vendor at a record show many years ago told me the Rush videos (from Kings and Hemispheres) used to be shown on HBO in the late'70s in between movies. I didn't have HBO then, so I don't know if that was true. He had a ton of stuff, but I was only interested in those Rush videos.

I had HBO then and I don't remember that.

I don't remember that either, although I usually just watched it in the evenings. A guy in our dorm was brave enough to get HBO on the lounge TV, then he would come around every month and collect $ 1.00 for it. It was a lot of fun !

• Like 1

I used to enjoy "In Concert" on ABC as well. I think it was more in the early 70's, before Don Kirschner Rock Concert. It would feature bands filmed at different colleges and usually show 2 bands in 2 hours or so. I remember the Marshall Tucker Band one was really good, but I never was able to catch Rush! (They were on in 1974.)
  • Like 2

Anyone else remember The Kenny Everett Video Show ??

It was on after Don Kirschner

I think seeing The Police play It's Alright For You on the Kenny Everett show many years after they played it sealed the deal for me for being a fan of that band (and I think this was around the time I bought Reggatta de Blanc...and listened to it at least once a day that summer).

• Like 1

I don't remember that either, although I usually just watched it in the evenings. A guy in our dorm was brave enough to get HBO on the lounge TV, then he would come around every month and collect $ 1.00 for it. It was a lot of fun !

Sounds like a record vendor who was name-dropping HBO and forgetting that he was actually lying. Or he simply got mixed up about where he saw those videos.

• Like 3

I bought my first VHS recorder specifically to tape the Blue Oyster Cult appearance on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. We didn't have cable back then and had to rely on the antennae being turned the right way and I don't believe I ended up being able to pull in the channel at the right time to record it, so all was for naught.

Luckily whatever channel it was (I believe I watched it on something called the Blue Jean network) used you replay it pretty often. I remember they played the BOC, Billy Squier and Foghat appearances several times.

• Like 2

I remember seeing the AFTK video on Don Kirshners. Nearly gave me a heart attack; if I had caught the Xanadu or Hemi videos I probably would have one.

I haven't watch these in awhile but isn't it the case that the AFTK vids are simply them miming the LP tracks, whereas the Hemi tracks are "live" (for the camera) performances?

• Like 2

I remember seeing the AFTK video on Don Kirshners. Nearly gave me a heart attack; if I had caught the Xanadu or Hemi videos I probably would have one.

I haven't watch these in awhile but isn't it the case that the AFTK vids are simply them miming the LP tracks, whereas the Hemi tracks are "live" (for the camera) performances?

I believe that is correct.

I believe that is correct.

Yes it is- I could be wrong, but I think The Trees might be an exception (?). I could be wrong about that, too. But the title track from AFTK, and Xanadu, are both synched to the studio recordings, while definitely Circumstances and La Villa Strangiato were performed live.

• Like 2

Here's The Trees - sounds like a different recording to me! Really cool bass lick at 4:14, after which it sounds like the bass drops out - almost like Lee couldn't recover from his own coolness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnC88xBPkkc

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Sounds like a record vendor who was name-dropping HBO and forgetting that he was actually lying. Or he simply got mixed up about where he saw those videos.

Well, I did get the impression that this guy worked in the "industry" and was making some cash on the side. There seemed to be a few like that on the record show circuit back then. It does seem at least plausible that HBO would need "filler" to fill out their time so I never discounted it. But I couldn't verify it either.

I'm a little late to the party but I just wanted to point out that the Monkees were not "discovered", they were created specifically for the TV show. They were the New Kids before the New Kids. They were auditioned as actors first, singers second and musical ability wasn't even considered at the time.

After they were created Mike Nesmith got the idea in his head that they were a legitimate band, which created tension between him and the others, who realized they were just paid actors.

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 1