What was the origin/purpose of these '70s videos?

Blue J

Below is a video for La Villa Strangiato, which was recorded either in 1978 or early '79.

This isn't anything new to see; I know it's been around/available for a long time. But there were videos just like this, made at the same time, for Xanadu, A Farewell to Kings (title track), The Trees, and Circumstances.

Does anybody know exactly when they were done? Is there information posted/documented anywhere about them, specifically?

This is just for my own edification; nothing Earth-shattering.

Thanks. :)

• Like 2

They were made for Don Kirschner's Rock Concert, it was kind of a late-night American Bandstand but without an audience. This was also the first show in which I saw a music video, the first time I ever saw the video for Pink Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 was on this show. Don Kirschner was a music producer who made a name for himself by discovering The Monkees.
  • Like 7

They were made for Don Kirschner's Rock Concert, it was kind of a late-night American Bandstand but without an audience. This was also the first show in which I saw a music video, the first time I ever saw the video for Pink Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 was on this show. Don Kirschner was a music producer who made a name for himself by discovering The Monkees.

I loved that show!
  • Like 3

I'm familiar with Don Kirschner, sure. But I didn't know that Rush ever did anything for that show. I didn't realize that those videos were made for his show, because every Don Kirschner's Rock Concert I've ever seen was in front of a live audience.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Might have been the Midnight Special rather than Don Kirschner's Rock Concert. I'll never forget missing out on seeing Queen on the Midnight Special when I was 11 because I fell asleep on the couch!
  • Like 4

Before MTV groups hit on the idea of filming performances for various TV shows like those mentioned, as promotional material for their latest releases. The idea dates back to the 60s, when The Beatles started making these promotional films to send around the world to various programs, as they were unable to appear live everywhere. Then it just became an outlet for a new medium - see "Strawberry Fields", which was essentially a short art film set to music.

Touching on the Monkees connection, I read that the use of videos to promote a single gave Michael Nesmith the idea to create a new channel aimed specifically at using TV to promote music; he certainly knew first-hand how powerful the medium could be used to sell music. He sold the idea to the folks who eventually created MTV.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 3

I loved that show!

Me too!

I'm familiar with Don Kirschner, sure. But I didn't know that Rush ever did anything for that show. I didn't realize that those videos were made for his show, because every Don Kirschner's Rock Concert I've ever seen was in front of a live audience.

Thanks!

Yeah, some of his shows did indeed have an audience. I Should have included that info. Thank you!

I am, after all, going by some very old memories here!

Edited by Jack Aubrey

Yeah I remember staying up late to watch it. Wasn't it on at like 1 am on a Friday or Saturday night?

Yep! Fridays!

• Like 1

Before MTV groups hit on the idea of filming performances for various TV shows like those mentioned, as promotional material for their latest releases. The idea dates back to the 60s, when The Beatles started making these promotional films to send around the world to various programs, as they were unable to appear live everywhere. Then it just became an outlet for a new medium - see "Strawberry Fields", which was essentially a short art film set to music.

Touching on the Monkees connection, I read that the use of videos to promote a single gave Michael Nesmith the idea to create a new channel aimed specifically at using TV to promote music; he certainly knew first-hand how powerful the medium could be used to sell music. He sold the idea to the folks who eventually created MTV.

And it would have featured this, among other stuff:

http://youtu.be/-9TsAJt72t4

• Like 2

Lucy and Ramona and Sunset Sam!

• Like 2

Nice to know I'm not the only one who remembers that!

• Like 2

I loved The Midnight Special and Don Kirschner's Rock Concert . .

One of the most memorable for me was in 1978 watching two favorites in Ted Nugent and Aerosmith introduce a "new" band that I had never heard of - AC/DC doing Sin City ..

These shows were amazing because the only way we ever actually saw the bands were to go to a concert ( which was difficult when you are 9 or 10 years old ) or in magazines ..

But the best was when Allison Steele aka The Nightbird interview KISS in '78 without their makeup ( their backs were turned to the camera ) .. She showed Detroit Rock City live from Budokan and I almost hyperventilated

• Like 5

One of the most memorable for me was in 1978 watching two favorites in Ted Nugent and Aerosmith introduce a "new" band that I had never heard of - AC/DC doing Sin City ..

These shows were amazing because the only way we ever actually saw the bands were to go to a concert ( which was difficult when you are 9 or 10 years old ) or in magazines ..

But the best was when Allison Steele aka The Nightbird interview KISS in '78 without their makeup ( their backs were turned to the camera ) .. She showed Detroit Rock City live from Budokan and I almost hyperventilated

:D

This thread is becoming a nice walk down ol' Memory Lane, isn't it?

The only two bands I can remember seeing for the first time right now on DKRC are Talking Heads and XTC. I know there are more & I'm sure I'll remember them a little later.

Edited by Jack Aubrey
  • Like 2

Wow I remember that. We never got to see their faces for years. We kind of take it for granted now.

I remember when Peter Frampton was on there because I was a big fan at the time and had seen him on the Frampton Comes Alive tour.

• Like 3

This thread is becoming a nice walk down ol' Memory Lane, isn't it?

Best thread of the day for sure. Some exploring I will do.

• Like 2

Nice to know I'm not the only one who remembers that!

My thought exactly! :cheers:

• Like 1