Weirdest Album You Have Ever Listened To?

Bigbobby10

What is the weirdest album you have ever listened to?

I mean in terms of how strange or obscure the album is. You can like it or hate it.

For me it is Comus- First Utterance

The album is haunting, the cover and the music itself. Oddly satisfying though.

• Like 3

I mean in terms of how strange or obscure the album is. You can like it or hate it.

I remember listening to that Comus album on youtube ... and everytime I was about to bail on it, it took a turn to something magnificent ..

Good call on that one BB

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFmqHiHMC1Q

I remember listening to that Comus album on youtube ... and everytime I was about to bail on it, it took a turn to something magnificent ..

Good call on that one BB

I agree, i was about to just leave, but something about it made me stay, it really was worth it at the end. I can just imagine people on LSD listening to this, a real trip for them. The album is great, but at the same time it is so weird.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFmqHiHMC1Q

Good call on that one BB

I agree, i was about to just leave, but something about it made me stay, it really was worth it at the end. I can just imagine people on LSD listening to this, a real trip for them. The album is great, but at the same time it is so weird.

.. not to mention recording it

:D

Good call on those who mentioned Comus - First Utterance earlier. It's hauntingly awesome, definitely one of the more weirder albums I've heard but not the weirdest one I've ever heard. That distinction would go to Prurient - Bermuda Drain.

Prurient is actually one of the more recent acts I've found myself listening to. His real name is Dominick Fernow and he's a noise musician (in the most literal sense of the phrase) whom I got to know after I saw him open for Godflesh last year. His album Bermuda Drain is what I've coined "Industrial Techno Death Noise". It'll most definitely make people quizzical after listening to it, (but not for those who already know I regularly search for "out there" stuff preferably in the ambient/drone/electronic genres) but I actually dig this and consider myself a fan. Oddly appropriate for listening to driving through tunnels at night as indicated by the album's hype sticker on the CD/vinyl (which I've done numerous times). Take a listen to this "Industrial Techno Death Noise" for yourself if you dare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw_t_MmjJcY

I'm not sure I can answer the question, but John Zorn comes to mind as an example.

As far as strange albums that don't intend to be strange?

Boston Spaceships- Zero to 99

Anything by Circus Devils (except Mother Skinny, which is probably their most straight-forward kind of thing)

:huh: I'll have to think some more.

• Like 1

The category of "weird" has really changed for me over the years. There were times, back in the 80s, when I first heard New Order's "Power, Corruption, and Lies", various Bauhaus, and then Skinny Puppy's "ViViSectVI", and each time I thought I was listening to something very strange. But after repeated listenings it starts to sound normal, and Bauhaus and Skinny Puppy went on to become bands I really loved. Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 1

The category of "weird" has really changed for me over the years. There were times, back in the 80s, when I first heard New Order's "Power, Corruption, and Lies", various Bauhaus, and then Skinny Puppy's "ViViSectSix", and each time I thought I was listening to something very strange. But after repeated listenings it starts to sound normal, and Bauhaus and Skinny Puppy went on to become bands I really loved.

A lot of my friends back then were into all of those bands. I liked some stuff that I heard, others I just never cared for. But I never thought of any of that was weird, just different.