Frost*

stoopid

These guys have been my most recent music obsession. It's always great to find a band that's languishing in relative obscurity, must be like what Rush fans experienced around the time FBN was released.
  • Like 1

I love this band and have been listening to Falling Satellites quite a lot recently. I saw them live at a festival this summer - they were fabulous but, more than almost any other band I've seen, they really seemed to be enjoying themselves and having a great time. The weather was hot (for the UK anyway), the band did the soundcheck wearing jeans and T-shirts but performed in really loud Hawaiian shirts and, in the case of John Mitchell, Matching shorts, flower garland and flip-flops! They clearly don't take themselves too seriously but played some of the most interesting music around with effortless skill.
  • Like 2

Milliontown is my favorite (I listened to that one in the car a few days back.) I have their second album too, but I didn't like it as much. Stopped there.

All of Falling Satellites is on youtube, so risk-free listening. If, like me, you decide you like what you're hearing, then you can always buy a copy. If buying Falling Satellites from Amazon, you get the MP3s immediately to download and enjoy before the CD arrives. I love that part about new releases on Amazon.

I enjoy all three albums for different reasons, but Falling Satellites is easily my favorite.

Edited by stoopid

Milliontown is one of my top-5 favorite albums ever.

Hyperventilate, Black Light Machine and Milliontown are truly incredible tracks.

Considering it's their first album recording together, it's an amazing release. A lot of effort went into those songs and the production.

Milliontown is my favorite (I listened to that one in the car a few days back.) I have their second album too, but I didn't like it as much. Stopped there.

All of Falling Satellites is on youtube, so risk-free listening. If, like me, you decide you like what you're hearing, then you can always buy a copy. If buying Falling Satellites from Amazon, you get the MP3s immediately to download and enjoy before the CD arrives. I love that part about new releases on Amazon.

I enjoy all three albums for different reasons, but Falling Satellites is easily my favorite.

Thanks.

Maybe I'll check it out.

Is there an interview with the band discussing what they were trying to accomplish with it?

BTW, great lead work on Closer to the Sun (I think the Satriani played it on the album, but obviously this guy knows his way around a guitar):

Then there's a major oops by the guitarist, who forgot he was in alternate tuning(?) immediately after the solo. They laughed it off as any talented musician should... stuff happens, and it always seems to happen playing live.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Thanks for turning me on to this band. I've been listening to Milliontown a lot on youtube and am going to order a copy for sure. There's some speedy stuff here, but it's a lot more musical and compelling than a lot of that sort of mathematical wankery I hear in other bands.
  • Like 1

Thanks for turning me on to this band. I've been listening to Milliontown a lot on youtube and am going to order a copy for sure. There's some speedy stuff here, but it's a lot more musical and compelling than a lot of that sort of mathematical wankery I hear in other bands.

That's what I hear as well - there's technical proficiency, but their music is not "technical* for sake of just throwing notes out there. It's a good example of the proper conservation of notes. And they write great melodies, and I feel sometimes that prog artists lose perspective. Songs still need to be inherently pleasant or somehow ear wormy/catchy in order to survive the test of time.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

That's what I hear as well - there's technical proficiency, but their music is not "technical* for sake of just throwing notes out there. It's a good example of the proper conservation of notes. And they write great melodies, and I feel sometimes that prog artists lose perspective. Songs still need to be inherently pleasant or somehow ear wormy/catchy in order to survive the test of time.

Nicely stated.

Much better than my rejected analogy, "all boink and no romance."

• Like 1

As opposed to THE Frost... a '60s & '70s classic rock band from Detroit featuring Dick Wagner... good old psychedelic-ish stuff..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeGN2KT-Evg

Edited by Huge Ackman
  • Like 1