Is Hemispheres the Best Rush Album?

winter17

No, this is not a poll.

Here's the full question: is Hemispheres the best Rush album, just going off of total individual sound quality? For example, I think we can all agree 2112 was a great album, but Tears, Lessons, and The Twilight Zone aren't top tier Rush songs. However, with Hemispheres, it's just about unanimous that Cygnus X-1: Book 2, La Villa Strangiato, The Trees, and Circumstances all fit into that top tier.

So on that basis, what do you think?

I just read through your original premise that the bulk of side two isn't "top tier Rush". Since I love side two I can't even use your criteria to judge. If you gave the choice between 2112 and Hemispheres and I could only have one, I would take 2112....
  • Like 2

Hemispheres is a weird album to me.

The sound quality on Hemispheres is not that great. The songs are great--but I wouldn't really say it's their best album. It still sounds like embryonic Rush, but it's without a little bit of the identity that made them fill a particular niche with Caress of Steel, 2112, etc.

I don't really like it because, for one, they didn't even particularly enjoy making this album, and the rough, exasperated complexity reflects that. It's not a particularly emotional record. It's just itself. Contrast that with some of their other albums, from before and after (Farewell to Kings, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, etc), that seem to have a distinct atmosphere and joyfulness to them, without sacrificing skill.

edit: fix'd

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 4

Maybe.....i don't know. been 7 months since i've heard a note of Rush, lol

Mick

A visit to BC involving a lot of time in a car and nothing but Rush CDs meant I inevitably started listening to Rush again after a few months off. I think it's time you listen to some of it again--you'll enjoy it.

• Like 2

The sound quality on Hemispheres is not that great. The songs are great--but I wouldn't really say it's their best album. It still sounds like embryonic Rush, but it's without a little bit of the identity that made them fill a particular niche with Caress of Steel, 2112, etc.

I don't really like it because, for one, they didn't even particularly enjoy making this album, and the rough, exasperated complexity reflects that. It's not a particularly emotional record. It's just itself. Contrast that with some of their other albums, from before and after (Farewell to Kings, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, etc), that seem to have a distinct atmosphere and joyfulness to them, without sacrificing skill.

fixed

fixed

what exactly did you fix, my friend? :LOL:

• Like 2

fixed

what exactly did you fix, my friend? :LOL:

you put 2012 instead of 2112.

• Like 1

I just read through your original premise that the bulk of side two isn't "top tier Rush". Since I love side two I can't even use your criteria to judge. If you gave the choice between 2112 and Hemispheres and I could only have one, I would take 2112....

:yes: 2112 Side 2 is great!
  • Like 3

I think Side 2 of Hemispheres ranks as high as anything in their catalog, but I'm not a huge fan of the Cygni. Book 2 gets a bit :beathorse: for me, as well as being a little silly lyrically/thematically for my tastes. I love Prelude, though.
  • Like 2

edit: fix'd

DoL!!!!

You literally stole the words from my mouth!

This album isn't close to the best.

The songs are alright. Side one is boring. Steven Wilson agrees.

I'm gonna make that my defence haha!

"Best" is an extremely subjective thing ... Which, of course, is what makes the varied answers interesting ..

One of the things I enjoy about music is when I can feel its purpose .. A bunch of musicians who have practiced their instrument to the point of perfecting their chops still need a purpose ..

Or better yet, I need a reason to listen .. and that usually means something I can identify with and enjoy on my own, person level ..

There was some amazing purpose going on during the 2112 era ... and even prior to that, we saw a band of kids growing, moving forward and progressing not only with their instruments, but in creating and blazing a trail and being part of a very very exciting time in music ...

I go back and forth on which album is "best" to me

Right at this moment, A Farewell To Kings edges out Hemispheres and 2112 by the slightest of margins .. All are incredible accomplishments, but personally, I prefer Alex's guitar sound on Kings best

And as for Side Two of 2112 -

There are three songs - Passage To Bangkok, Tears and Something for Nothing - that make my All Time Rush Top 10-15 songs ..

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

Side One of 2112 is better than side 1 of "Hemispheres", not by much, but side 2 of "Hemispheres" Blows side 2 of "2112" out of the water. "A Farewell to Kings" is their Best Album.

Ask me tomorrow and I'll have a different opinion.

Edited by rocketom

No but close enough. In my view third to fifth depending on the day...

Narps, did you see what he said that Side 2 ??

oy vey

Typical. Some folks just don't get it at all...
  • Like 1

No but close enough. In my view third to fifth depending on the day...

Narps, did you see what he said about Side 2 ??

oy vey

Typical. Some folks just don't get it at all...

;)

ericmichael, we still love ya though

• Like 1