Is Hemispheres the Best Rush Album?

winter17

In my opinion, you can't beat Moving Pictures. The songs, the sound quality... It's just a perfect album.

Most of the world agrees with this.

And this was a SCIENTIFIC poll of the world's population, I assume.... lmao

I suppose one could choose to ignore sales, airplay, requests, a late-career full-album resurrection tour... lmao

You let me know when they decide to do away with the word "best" and subsume it into the word "popular" LMFAO

You do the same for me with "favorite".

:eyeroll:

No, this is not a poll.

Here's the full question: is Hemispheres the best Rush album, just going off of total individual sound quality? For example, I think we can all agree 2112 was a great album, but Tears, Lessons, and The Twilight Zone aren't top tier Rush songs. However, with Hemispheres, it's just about unanimous that Cygnus X-1: Book 2, La Villa Strangiato, The Trees, and Circumstances all fit into that top tier.

So on that basis, what do you think?

I never regarded Circumstances as a top tier tune. It's always been pretty much a skip over track for me, though it's a decent song and I love the French lyrics.

I love Hemispheres, but always regarded "Cygnus X-1: Book 2" as good as it is, as a relatively weak sidelong epic. It's a great song but pales in the inevitable comparison to the sidelength epic of 2112.

I love the concept but it isn't anywhere near as grabbing or special as 2112 in my opinion.

La Villa Strangiato and The Trees are the best songs here in my opinion. It still is a great representation of the classic Rush sound but it's centerpiece, the sidelong sequel to Cygnus X-1, lacks the magic of 2112.

• Like 4

In my opinion, you can't beat Moving Pictures. The songs, the sound quality... It's just a perfect album.

I suppose one could choose to ignore sales, airplay, requests, a late-career full-album resurrection tour... lmao

You let me know when they decide to do away with the word "best" and subsume it into the word "popular" LMFAO

WTH?? 'Favorite' ? I suppose 'favorite' would be apropos as a means to dilute the comical nature of your "most of the world" comment... I believe this post is about 'Best' not "favorite"

No, this is not a poll.

Here's the full question: is Hemispheres the best Rush album, just going off of total individual sound quality? For example, I think we can all agree 2112 was a great album, but Tears, Lessons, and The Twilight Zone aren't top tier Rush songs. However, with Hemispheres, it's just about unanimous that Cygnus X-1: Book 2, La Villa Strangiato, The Trees, and Circumstances all fit into that top tier.

So on that basis, what do you think?

I never regarded Circumstances as a top tier tune. It's always been pretty much a skip over track for me, though it's a decent song and I love the French lyrics.

I love Hemispheres, but always regarded "Cygnus X-1: Book 2" as good as it is, as a relatively weak sidelong epic. It's a great song but pales in the inevitable comparison to the sidelength epic of 2112.

I love the concept but it isn't anywhere near as grabbing or special as 2112 in my opinion.

La Villa Strangiato and The Trees are the best songs here in my opinion. It still is a great representation of the classic Rush sound but it's centerpiece, the sidelong sequel to Cygnus X-1, lacks the magic of 2112.

Pretty much echoes my thoughts completely. Circumstances has grown on me though, thanks to my wife loving that song. So hearing it more often helped me with digging it more.

• Like 3

WTH?? 'Favorite' ? I suppose 'favorite' would be apropos as a means to dilute the comical nature of your "most of the world" comment... I believe this post is about 'Best' not "favorite"

It is. I'll add to what I already listed as evidence the opinions of the artists themselves. While they'll point out the various shortcomings of Hemispheres (tuning, youthful over-indulgence...), you'd be hard pressed to find any comments from them other than praise. Neil is even fond of saying that the band began with MP. MP is not my personal fav, btw.

I'd love to hear your rationale for placing Hemi above MP as best.

• Like 1

It is. I'll add to what I already listed as evidence the opinions of the artists themselves. While they'll point out the various shortcomings of Hemispheres (tuning, youthful over-indulgence...), you'd be hard pressed to find any comments from them other than praise. Neil is even fond of saying that the band began with MP. MP is not my personal fav, btw.

To me, there is a certain verve about Hemispheres that sets it apart technically, texturally and structurally, from any other Rush album. In my opinion, it was ahead of its time. This, to me, makes Hemispheres their best work. I think it is a perfectly balanced record.

My favorite Rush album, however, is CoS. I could listen to it on continuous play and never weary of it. It is just more pleasing to me in the same vein that Hemispheres is more impressive.

• Like 1

To me, there is a certain verve about Hemispheres that sets it apart technically, texturally and structurally, from any other Rush album. In my opinion, it was ahead of its time. This, to me, makes Hemispheres their best work. I think it is a perfectly balanced record.

It certainly stands out as a great achievement, especially side 2, for me.

My favorite Rush album, however, is CoS. I could listen to it on continuous play and never weary of it.

It's in my rotating top spot for favorite album as well. Incredible atmosphere, and the playing is the perfect balance of rawness and budding technical mastery. :cheers:
  • Like 3

My favorite Rush album, however, is CoS. I could listen to it on continuous play and never weary of it.

It's in my rotating top spot for favorite album as well. Incredible atmosphere, and the playing is the perfect balance of rawness and budding technical mastery. :cheers:

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. CoS is an other-worldly gift from Rush to us... I have heard many fans bash it mercilessly, which makes it all the more precious to me. :rush:
  • Like 2

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. CoS is an other-worldly gift from Rush to us... I have heard many fans bash it mercilessly, which makes it all the more precious to me. :rush:

Yeah goose nailed with atmosphere. Quite the vibe throughout.

Lakeside spark...

If neil could of only found a better title/chorus than i think im going bald.

I love the tune as is especially as i age but the its kind clunky and i think with a lttle fine tuning it would be a minor hit like fly by night....

• Like 1

Best epic

Best short song

Best instrumental

Good thread idea that I haven't seen in a while. Poll worthy, even.

And by best short song i am saying circumstances. I love it and it probably second only to natural science for overall fave rush song.

Hemispheres rules.....

• Like 3

Best epic

Best short song

Best instrumental

Good thread idea that I haven't seen in a while. Poll worthy, even.

And by best short song i am saying circumstances. I love it and it probably second only to natural science for overall fave rush song.

Hemispheres rules.....

That it does.

• Like 2

:cheers:
  • Like 1

People, who haven't, and maybe, don't have all of Rush's c.ds, and albums, and listened to all of their music, and are only familiar, with "Moving Pictures" might say it's "Moving Pictures".

As would people who have been fans for nearly 40 years.

• Like 2

People, who haven't, and maybe, don't have all of Rush's c.ds, and albums, and listened to all of their music, and are only familiar, with "Moving Pictures" might say it's "Moving Pictures".

It's definitely their best 80s album but Hemispheres and Permanent Waves are better.

• Like 2

Tip 'o' the cap to you, Rick.. What a blessing, isn't it, to have been able to listen to and love Rush's music for four decades or more. :rush:
  • Like 1

It's definitely their best 80s album but Hemispheres and Permanent Waves are better.

I'm confused but I like your thinking... :fistbump:

It could be. Arguments for the best Rush album could be made for Hems, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures(although I prefer AFTK over MP) anytime. It's definitely a consensus that these 3 albums are highlights of Rush discography.

In my book, a side-long epic Hemispheres is overall very good, but it's not a musical perfection, it's just not equally interesting from the beginning to the end (prelude is superb though). I would rate it 4/5 stars. I would also rate Circumstances 4/5, that track has great verses, great bassline and great section (after the second chorus), but the chorus and main guitar riff sound ordinary to me and could have been better, more exciting.

La Villa Strangiato is perfection, The Trees is also musically great, both songs are 5/5 stars.

Hemispheres is my second favorite Rush album, after PeW.

Edited by Texas King
  • Like 2

Serendipity...

Today I decided to finally clean up the spare room and found...my lost copy of Caress of Steel. Listening to Lamneth right now...

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

• Like 2

Serendipity...

Today I decided to finally clean up the spare room and found...my lost copy of Caress of Steel. Listening to Lamneth right now...

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

That must've been the highlight of your week!

• Like 1

Two '70's albums! :)

• Like 3