Neil's Best Album for Drums

winter17

Neil's Best Album for Drums  

29 members have voted

1. 1. On which album did Neil have his best drum performance overall?

• Fly By Night
    • Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Counterparts
    • Test for Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes and Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

Egads. What's with the threads? :LOL:

Neil is always perfection on the drums. :D

I was always curious what people on the forum thought about all of these, so I finally sat down and made the threads for it.

• Like 3

He has had more technical albums, but my favorite is Farewell To Kings .. His drums sound great, his attack is perfect - still the youthful Keith Moon / Neil spirit, but with the perfection of The Professor and chimes, tubular bells and a great cymbal/hit hat sound .. great open sound, not too anal like later stuff
  • Like 2

He has had more technical albums, but my favorite is Farewell To Kings .. His drums sound great, his attack is perfect - still the youthful Keith Moon / Neil spirit, but with the perfection of The Professor and chimes, tubular bells and a great cymbal/hit hat sound .. great open sound, not too anal like later stuff

I really have to agree. While Neil's technical abilities vastly unproved over the years, other aspects of his playing suffered. He lost the fluidity and spontaneous sounding flow of his drumming and it became Missionary position in its predictability and drive. Still damn good and powerful and gets the job done, but life is way more fun drumming and screwing freely :)
  • Like 1

I'm going to say Permanent Waves. The Spirit of Radio is especially frenzied- more so than it sounds. Freewill is just unbelievable...completely mind-blowing. Add the somewhat tricky timing of Jacob's Ladder and the flat-out jaw-dropping Natural Science, and you've got something that rivals (and in my estimation, tops) anything he did on 2112, Caress, Kings, or Hemispheres.

I'll give a nod to the synth era here, too. A lot of the fills he was doing on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire I think are right up there, too.

• Like 4

This work tops them all. Just listen to the flow.

Fantastic work

http://www.rushisaband.com/images/200911/1359.f.jpg

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

That's a hard question to answer, but I said Signals. Plus I love his drum sound on that album a LOT.

I can safely say it's for sure not Feedback!