Jump to content


An Assessment Of Future Touring Prospects

Wanna-Be Psychologist

  • Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#81 edhunter

edhunter

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1724 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:11 AM

Poor Neil didn't get a break?  What did he call Sept 2013 thru all of 2014 then???

Sponsored Post

#82 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 468 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:24 AM

View Postedhunter, on 15 September 2016 - 11:11 AM, said:

Poor Neil didn't get a break?  What did he call Sept 2013 thru all of 2014 then???

I wouldn't be surprised if he was promised, or expected, a five year break after the CA tour.

#83 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 468 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:29 AM

My point is...why would he say during the R40 tour that it's going to be his last tour unless he was a little angry about something?  I think he felt pressured into touring when the idea of R40 came about and didn't appreciate it a whole lot.

#84 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 634 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:23 AM

The story goes that Neil first heard about R40 from a radio interview with Alex....old Al finallly floats a rumor and nails it.... :P

#85 FOH Lights

FOH Lights

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 450 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:27 AM

Quote

My point is...why would he say during the R40 tour that it's going to be his last tour unless he was a little angry about something?
Haha, he's been "angry" for the last 10 years! Angry because he despised touring, but had no other choice. But don't let that give you the impression that he was a pushover. Neil controlled nearly every aspect of their last tour, which in turn, pissed off a LOT of people in the organization.

View PostPlanet X-1, on 16 September 2016 - 08:23 AM, said:

The story goes that Neil first heard about R40 from a radio interview with Alex....old Al finallly floats a rumor and nails it.... :P
That's correct, and it's not like it was a big surprise to him. He KNEW that a tour was in the works. But when he stopped communicating with his band mates directly, how else was he supposed to find out?

#86 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21760 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:16 PM

View PostFOH Lights, on 16 September 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

Quote

My point is...why would he say during the R40 tour that it's going to be his last tour unless he was a little angry about something?
Haha, he's been "angry" for the last 10 years! Angry because he despised touring, but had no other choice. But don't let that give you the impression that he was a pushover. Neil controlled nearly every aspect of their last tour, which in turn, pissed off a LOT of people in the organization.

View PostPlanet X-1, on 16 September 2016 - 08:23 AM, said:

The story goes that Neil first heard about R40 from a radio interview with Alex....old Al finallly floats a rumor and nails it.... :P
That's correct, and it's not like it was a big surprise to him. He KNEW that a tour was in the works. But when he stopped communicating with his band mates directly, how else was he supposed to find out?

It's too bad he couldn't just quit and go write his books and travel if that's what he wanted to do.

#87 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:37 PM

If he really didnt want to do it/was uncomfortable with it, I'm more inclined to give him props for going along with it anyway.  He delivered his usual monster performance.

#88 FOH Lights

FOH Lights

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 450 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 16 September 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

If he really didnt want to do it/was uncomfortable with it, I'm more inclined to give him props for going along with it anyway.  He delivered his usual monster performance.
Sure, everyone should thank the guy for gracing us/them with his presence one last time.

#89 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for the music, Neil.

#90 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 5834 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:17 PM

View PostFOH Lights, on 16 September 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

Quote

My point is...why would he say during the R40 tour that it's going to be his last tour unless he was a little angry about something?
Haha, he's been "angry" for the last 10 years! Angry because he despised touring, but had no other choice. But don't let that give you the impression that he was a pushover. Neil controlled nearly every aspect of their last tour, which in turn, pissed off a LOT of people in the organization.

View PostPlanet X-1, on 16 September 2016 - 08:23 AM, said:

The story goes that Neil first heard about R40 from a radio interview with Alex....old Al finallly floats a rumor and nails it.... :P
That's correct, and it's not like it was a big surprise to him. He KNEW that a tour was in the works. But when he stopped communicating with his band mates directly, how else was he supposed to find out?

There's always another choice.  Another choice that your bandmates will be happy with when everyone is just in their early 50's ?  Another choice that will easily allow you to keep your current lifestyle without touring ten more years?  I dunno, but when you say Neil is angry because there was no other choice, it seems to deflect all of the blame onto others.  There were always other choices, just difficult ones. As I have mentioned before- if your reporting of his anger is accurate, what a sad tale.

Edited by blueschica, 16 September 2016 - 04:21 PM.


#91 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 468 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:51 PM

Kind of off-topic, but I watched a Genesis documentary a while back where the subject of Peter Gabriel's leaving the band came up (sometime in '74-'75).  Peter said that his first child was premature and the others didn't seem to understand the time away from the band that was necessary to deal with that situation.  In the present, both Rutherford and Banks admitted that they were a bit disrespectful to Peter over that situation.  They just didn't understand that the band wasn't the most important thing in Peter's life at the time.

I can see some similarities in the current Rush scenario.  We have three men who are roughly the same age, two of whom are free and clear for the most part and probably don't see a huge problem with dropping everything for three months to hit the road.  Then there is Neil and his young family.  Now I certainly don't think there is necessarily any disrespect going on between them (and some may argue that), but there does seem to be a little bit of friction.  They all understand that time is ticking away for the "band" due to their ages.  Neil just seems to be saying to all of them "I won't get pressured into another tour so, as of right now, don't even ask".  Will he still feel that way after three or four years, who can say?

It's possible that Neil's simply a little miffed that Geddy and Alex aren't coming out and saying "You know what, Neil's right, we're finished".  Just that small hope that the other two are leaving out there may put unwanted pressure on him.

#92 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21760 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:05 PM

View PostFOH Lights, on 16 September 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

View Posttoymaker, on 16 September 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

If he really didnt want to do it/was uncomfortable with it, I'm more inclined to give him props for going along with it anyway.  He delivered his usual monster performance.
Sure, everyone should thank the guy for gracing us/them with his presence one last time.

Now you've got it.

#93 fraroc

fraroc

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2459 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:14 PM

View PostRelayer2112, on 15 September 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

View Postedhunter, on 15 September 2016 - 11:11 AM, said:

Poor Neil didn't get a break?  What did he call Sept 2013 thru all of 2014 then???

I wouldn't be surprised if he was promised, or expected, a five year break after the CA tour.

It's not like Ged and Al to lie to someone's face let alone do it to someone they care about.

Edited by fraroc, 16 September 2016 - 07:14 PM.


#94 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

    Non-Binary

  • Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Northeast New Jersey
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:26 AM

View Postfraroc, on 16 September 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

View PostRelayer2112, on 15 September 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

View Postedhunter, on 15 September 2016 - 11:11 AM, said:

Poor Neil didn't get a break?  What did he call Sept 2013 thru all of 2014 then???

I wouldn't be surprised if he was promised, or expected, a five year break after the CA tour.

It's not like Ged and Al to lie to someone's face let alone do it to someone they care about.

I doubt they lied to him, but there's a bit in Roadshow where Neil talks about how he always has difficulty directly stating what he wants and has a tendency to instead hint around it and hope that people pick up on it.  It's not hard to imagine something like that happening here.

#95 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 468 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:29 PM

Neil clearly doesn't want the end of Rush pinned on him alone.  He's hoping the other two get around to his way of thinking.  The problem is that it's not going to happen.  If Neil was indeed done forever beyond all doubt he'd give the others his blessing to continue in any capacity they saw fit from here on out.

#96 New Digital Man

New Digital Man

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 579 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East London UK

Posted 06 October 2016 - 02:56 PM

I don't understand why Neil doesn't just put out a statement confirming that he's officially retired if that is indeed the case rather than just a few soundbites which seem to wind everybody up including his band mates! Surely somebody must know the real truth of what's going on?

#97 Alien Girl

Alien Girl

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1828 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:The Event Horizon
  • Interests:Interests?...I have no interests...I'm not an interesting person. Very one dimensional...like cardboard...or toast.

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:48 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 11 September 2016 - 01:49 PM, said:

View Postedhunter, on 11 September 2016 - 01:47 PM, said:

I refuse to believe it's over until they don't tour.

And how long are you planning on waiting? Until one of them dies, or is that just replacement time?
I'm willing to wait 5 years before giving up hope and accepting that they are truly finished with touring.


Me now: NEVER GIVE UP,  NEVER SURRENDER!!!




Me in 5 years: ......fiiiiine.

#98 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21760 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:57 PM

View PostAlien Girl, on 06 October 2016 - 03:48 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 11 September 2016 - 01:49 PM, said:

View Postedhunter, on 11 September 2016 - 01:47 PM, said:

I refuse to believe it's over until they don't tour.

And how long are you planning on waiting? Until one of them dies, or is that just replacement time?
I'm willing to wait 5 years before giving up hope and accepting that they are truly finished with touring.


Me now: NEVER GIVE UP,  NEVER SURRENDER!!!




Me in 5 years: ......fiiiiine.

I agree with what Cygnify said in another thread,  Neil has nothing left to prove.  He's perfectly happy to retire. The other two still seem to want to play music and I can see them doing something together. But as far as Rush touring again? I would see the chances as being close to nil.  It takes them all months and months to get ready to tour and I just can't see Neil in particular wanting to do that anymore.

#99 Alien Girl

Alien Girl

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1828 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:The Event Horizon
  • Interests:Interests?...I have no interests...I'm not an interesting person. Very one dimensional...like cardboard...or toast.

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:02 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 06 October 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

View PostAlien Girl, on 06 October 2016 - 03:48 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 11 September 2016 - 01:49 PM, said:

View Postedhunter, on 11 September 2016 - 01:47 PM, said:

I refuse to believe it's over until they don't tour.

And how long are you planning on waiting? Until one of them dies, or is that just replacement time?
I'm willing to wait 5 years before giving up hope and accepting that they are truly finished with touring.


Me now: NEVER GIVE UP,  NEVER SURRENDER!!!




Me in 5 years: ......fiiiiine.

I agree with what Cygnify said in another thread,  Neil has nothing left to prove.  He's perfectly happy to retire. The other two still seem to want to play music and I can see them doing something together. But as far as Rush touring again? I would see the chances as being close to nil.  It takes them all months and months to get ready to tour and I just can't see Neil in particular wanting to do that anymore.
Oh, I'm not saying he hasn't served his time.  Nor that he doesn't deserve to retire.  I'm just saying I'm not giving up hope that they may decide to tour again, whether that includes Neil or not.  Give it 5 years...a good long break.  See how bored they get. ;)

#100 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1417 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:29 PM

Fascinating read and compelling thoughts all round. But my gut tells me FOH is on the money here.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users