Wanna-Be Psychologist

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#41 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 05 September 2016 - 01:57 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 05 September 2016 - 09:24 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 05 September 2016 - 04:03 AM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 04 September 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

View Posttomhealey, on 04 September 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

the question isn't if Neil has said no (the excerpts from his upcoming tome very clearly confirm the answer "no" to me), the question is why?
I'm of three minds about this question.

1) He's older and knows he will not improve his craft in any measurable way in the future, so why bother? It's always been about getting better as musicians on the one hand.

2} He wants to give a fulfilling life to his family

3) I think a disconnect, or distance between the band members on a friendship level is a factor. Resentments may weigh in. Neil isn't a founding member, yet he's absolutely critical to what and who Rush is. Something that sticks out in my mind is from the Dinner at the Hunting Lodge clip. Geddy, at times, seems dismissive to Neil on a couple of occasions. Perhaps this is SOP when dealing with Neil. He's "outside" the establishment. He's always referred to Geddy and Alex as the "guys" from work...there's a level of intimacy there, but not that deep. He's just not that close to both of them, particularly Geddy, even though they have years together under their belts. A sort of rivalry is there that maybe the fly in the ointment for Neil.

It's always seemed that way to me too. Friends and coworkers but not really close. It seems like he's always been on the outside.
reminds me of a song I heard once

That's more about being an outsider in general but I think within the group he is even that way. Alex and Geddy have stuck together in the Toronto area all along, they do fan pics together, make appearances together, all of which give the impression he's in one sense an isolationist. Even with people he's known for 40 years.

Edited by EagleMoon, 05 September 2016 - 01:57 PM.

Sponsored Post

#42 toonz

toonz

The Seeker

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:33 PM

Take this for what it's worth. I'm not trying to stir the pot by any means but... My brother in law works for World Festival Inc and helps with the bookings for the bands for Summerfest in Milwaukee (and the Marcus Amp) along with the other festivals throughout the year there. There have been discussions about a booking during Summerfest in 2017. There is a lot of conversation happening. Nothing concrete by any stretch. He knows I'm a fan, so he is usually pretty guarded when he mentions anything to me. The fact that he brought it up at all gives me a glimmer of hope. Time will tell.

#43 Ron2112

Ron2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

View PostDel_Duio, on 30 August 2016 - 07:10 AM, said:

I really enjoyed my time playing in a band and doing a few local shows a year, but I could never do this sort of thing as a full time job and travel everywhere all the time. I don't know how they did it for so long already.

So I guess I'm with Neil on this one! :D
I've played in gigging bands for the last 30 years, and the old saying is very true......"the only thing worse than gigging is NOT gigging."  It's just something that's in your blood.  Neil will get bored sitting at home, and the band will get out there again within the next couple years.  Count on it.

#44 upstateNYfan

upstateNYfan

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:46 AM

View PostRon2112, on 06 September 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:

I really enjoyed my time playing in a band and doing a few local shows a year, but I could never do this sort of thing as a full time job and travel everywhere all the time. I don't know how they did it for so long already.

I've played in gigging bands for the last 30 years, and the old saying is very true......"the only thing worse than gigging is NOT gigging."  It's just something that's in your blood.  Neil will get bored sitting at home, and the band will get out there again within the next couple years.  Count on it.

I really don't think so. We've been given so many signs it's over: the tour, the wave from the stage, the book, the hints, the articles, the silence, the tour that missed cash cow stops (Cleveland, Pitt, Europe) and a second leg...

Edited by upstateNYfan, 06 September 2016 - 11:48 AM.

#45 Ron2112

Ron2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:34 PM

View PostupstateNYfan, on 06 September 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

I really don't think so. We've been given so many signs it's over: the tour, the wave from the stage, the book, the hints, the articles, the silence, the tour that missed cash cow stops (Cleveland, Pitt, Europe) and a second leg...
For everyone citing "THE BOOK"........keep in mind that intro was probably written almost a year ago.  I'd bet Neil's feelings towards touring have softened a bit in the ensuing months.

#46 upstateNYfan

upstateNYfan

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

View PostRon2112, on 06 September 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

For everyone citing "THE BOOK"........keep in mind that intro was probably written almost a year ago.  I'd bet Neil's feelings towards touring have softened a bit in the ensuing months.

Why do you think that? If anything, I'd bet the intro was written more recently as a lot of the book appears to be a compilation of prior work. I do hope I'm wrong... but Neil doesn't seem the kind of guy who says or does this stuff lightly. And he has so many other interests...

As an aside, any mention of doing a one-off show (Milwaukee or wherever) makes very little business sense. They would either need to have a ton of money thrown at them or have an incredibly compelling reason (like SARS Fest in their hometown in 2003) to go back out. Logistics and sheer dollars - just to get ready - just aren't there unless Neil says "let's go out again on another run." I'd say that's about 1% right now.

Edited by upstateNYfan, 06 September 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#47 BrightAntennae

BrightAntennae

The Seeker

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Music, Hiking/Camping

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:19 PM

I believe Neil THINKS he's retired. No question about it.

But I also think that in 3-5 years he will miss the live component of music, Olivia will be older and more understanding and even supportive of a tour schedule and he will want to come out of retirement.
In his writings, he'll probably even make the comparison about athletes that come out of retirement and how he can relate.

Know one really knows what Neil will do down the road. And with all due respect to FOH Lights (as he is always spot on when it comes to the band) the information he has received is likely not coming directly from Neil's mouth, but secondhand. So, we don't know for sure.

Anyway...things change, ideas change, people change. Even Geddy remarked that he himself is a patient person and still hopes that Rush will be able to tour again. That's good enough for me.

#48 FOH Lights

FOH Lights

The Seeker

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:43 PM

For everyone citing "THE BOOK"........keep in mind that intro was probably written almost a year ago. I'd bet Neil's feelings towards touring have softened a bit in the ensuing months.
Haha, I'll take that bet!!

Know one really knows what Neil will do down the road. And with all due respect to FOH Lights (as he is always spot on when it comes to the band) the information he has received is likely not coming directly from Neil's mouth, but secondhand. So, we don't know for sure.
No offense taken. However, my info is absolutely credible. FWIW: Don't delude yourself into thinking that time will heal Neil's "wounds".

#49 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:50 AM

View PostFOH Lights, on 06 September 2016 - 08:43 PM, said:

FWIW: Don't delude yourself into thinking that time will heal Neil's "wounds".

Then here`s to hoping that time drains his bank account.  :P

#50 edhunter

edhunter

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1726 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:01 AM

View PostPlanet X-1, on 07 September 2016 - 07:50 AM, said:

View PostFOH Lights, on 06 September 2016 - 08:43 PM, said:

FWIW: Don't delude yourself into thinking that time will heal Neil's "wounds".

Then here`s to hoping that time drains his bank account.  :P

So THERE you are.......

#51 Ron2112

Ron2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostupstateNYfan, on 06 September 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

Why do you think that? If anything, I'd bet the intro was written more recently as a lot of the book appears to be a compilation of prior work. I do hope I'm wrong... but Neil doesn't seem the kind of guy who says or does this stuff lightly. And he has so many other interests...

As an aside, any mention of doing a one-off show (Milwaukee or wherever) makes very little business sense. They would either need to have a ton of money thrown at them or have an incredibly compelling reason (like SARS Fest in their hometown in 2003) to go back out. Logistics and sheer dollars - just to get ready - just aren't there unless Neil says "let's go out again on another run." I'd say that's about 1% right now.
Publishing deadlines dictate that the intro would have had to be written 6-8 months ago.  Probably longer.  All I'm saying is that performance is in the guy's blood...unless the rest of the stuff he writes about drumming is bullshit.  He'll miss it after a while.

Edited by Ron2112, 07 September 2016 - 09:29 AM.

#52 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

• Members *
  • 21064 posts
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:09 PM

After reading a few reviews, it seems the first few chapters are Neil explaining his retirement.

#53 upstateNYfan

upstateNYfan

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:15 PM

I interpret the book as a masterfully crafted farewell.

Incredibly bittersweet.

#54 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

Non-Binary

• Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:29 PM

Posted Image

#55 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 34019 posts
  • Interests:The Cure and 80's music

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:53 PM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 07 September 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

Posted Image

:no:

I will never let it go!!

Edited by Surrender74, 07 September 2016 - 04:53 PM.

#56 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:52 PM

All of these threads and theories always underestimate health.
Health issues are a huge deal to all 3 of these guys.
We do not know the extent of issues each of them have had, or have.
They are currently 63,63 and 64 years old(Neil next week). I think this is a larger issue then we know. Just my 3 cents

#57 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:31 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 30 August 2016 - 08:28 PM, said:

Chicks dude...it's the chicks. You ever been to a Rush concert? Place is crawling with 'em
Totally. I even saw 1 or 2 that weren't sleeping or on their phones

#58 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:50 PM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 07 September 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#59 upstateNYfan

upstateNYfan

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:54 PM

They're going to walk into the sunset.

#60 Permanent-Rush