193 replies to this topic

#161 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:45 PM

Porridge was one of the greatest sitcoms ever written

The writing by Ian Le Frenais and Dick Clement and the delivery of RB, Beckinsale, Fulton Mackay and Brian Wilde was pure pure brilliance.

And don't forget the wonderful part Peter Vaughan played as "Harry Grout"

I think we share the same opinion  matie

Smitty

Sponsored Post

#162 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

Ven ve vin the Var your name will go down in the book also, Vat is it?

"Don't tell him Pike!"

Now THAT is great comedy :drool:

https://youtu.be/bhY-Y0I8DkY

#163 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:36 PM

Yep Porridge was one of the greats. I love it, for them against us mentality, but epecially because its so funny.  

When you think about it with Barker, the roles he played, were so convincing as to be another person. I mean its not like your watching him in Porridge thiking, oh Arkwright.  Ronnie Barker - total master character comedian.
Porridge and open all hours are in my top 10 comedy series.

Dont know if you know Steve, but the speech impediment aspect of the character "Arkwright" was embraced by a speech impediment charity/organisation (forget the name) - they thought it was great, Arkwright became the emblem/ mascot corporate id!

#164 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:38 PM

View PostSteve Smith, on 31 March 2017 - 05:45 PM, said:

The writing by Ian Le Frenais and Dick Clement and the delivery of RB, Beckinsale, Fulton Mackay and Brian Wilde was pure pure brilliance.

Smitty

Yep Mackay, superb, forget he is not a leading role, he is as vital as Fletch. All the characters in Porridge are perfectly placed.

#165 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:56 PM

Fulton MacKay was a great actor and a lovely lovely man. Most of the actors who play nasty pieces of work are. I loved his nervous "neck twitch"

And I grew to love him more in that wonderful film "Local Hero" as the hermit that lived on the beach and the fact that the old research showed that he owned part of it.

https://youtu.be/nSMOQKNXbV8

Did you realise that the scene was slightly improvised by Fulton as he accidently dropped some of the sand which was not in the script.

He improvised and said "There I have just saved you a pound or two there"

Love that scene Tommy XXXX What a wonderful actor

Smudger

#166 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:11 PM

View Postcondemned2bfree, on 04 April 2017 - 03:38 PM, said:

View PostSteve Smith, on 31 March 2017 - 05:45 PM, said:

Smitty

Yep Mackay, superb, forget he is not a leading role, he is as vital as Fletch. All the characters in Porridge are perfectly placed.

Yes I am happy that it was taken in the genuine way it was intended, Ronnie was so lovely.

His father was a shop keeper, that is where he got the inspiration from.

Did you know that he submitted his sketches to the BBC and the producer's under the pseudonym "Gerald Wylie"? He wanted to keep his performances with RC separate from his writing and he did not want the producers to be biased in any way for or against because if they knew it was him XXX

Steve

#167 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:46 PM

View PostSteve Smith, on 04 April 2017 - 08:56 PM, said:

Fulton MacKay was a great actor and a lovely lovely man. Most of the actors who play nasty pieces of work are. I loved his nervous "neck twitch"

And I grew to love him more in that wonderful film "Local Hero" as the hermit that lived on the beach and the fact that the old research showed that he owned part of it.

Did you realise that the scene was slightly improvised by Fulton as he accidently dropped some of the sand which was not in the script.

Smudger

Just watched the clip, with the improv dropped sandwich :) That looks like a film I'll enjoy, I'll try to check it out. In Porridge, considering Foulton was the enemy so to speak, it was amazing how endearing he was. British sitcoms have this way of doing that. Making the serious funny of the bad adorable. I did hear about Barker puting in scripts with other alias's. Hey steve, did you ever watch Sorry, with the other Ronnie. Not in the same class as Porridge or Open all hours, still its ok.

Edited by condemned2bfree, 08 April 2017 - 05:48 PM.

#168 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:51 PM

View Postcondemned2bfree, on 08 April 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

Smudger

Just watched the clip, with the improv dropped sandwich :) That looks like a film I'll enjoy, I'll try to check it out. In Porridge, considering Foulton was the enemy so to speak, it was amazing how endearing he was. British sitcoms have this way of doing that. Making the serious funny of the bad adorable. I did hear about Barker puting in scripts with other alias's. Hey steve, did you ever watch Sorry, with the other Ronnie. Not in the same class as Porridge or Open all hours, still its ok.

I identified with that because RC played a 41 year old man who lived at home and was under his "mummy's thumb"

"Language Timothy!!"

Yeh I lived away from the age of 20 to 48 but when my GF left me I sold my flat and moved back in with my widowed mum.

It is lovely, she does my washing and makes all my meals, I am happy as a pig in shite ha ha!!!!!

#169 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:58 PM

Local Hero is such a wonderful film, please watch it.

It is funny and lovely with Pathos and sweet comedy and social comment and wonderful performances and Burt Lancaster is great as a cameo in one of his last roles XXXXXXX.

The villagers just want all of the money that the oil refinery will bring. Fulton plays such a wonderful part.

It is perhaps a comment on the oil boom of the 70's in the North Sea

Aberdeen was a little fishing town. The Americans chose that place rather than Dundee which had much better developed infrastructure, but Dundee was heavily unionised, so they could abuse as much as they liked in Aberdeen.

In the 1970's the Yanks treated the Aberdeen workers like scum in the same way they treated the Mexican and African American Oil workers in the Gulf of Mexico.

Steve

#170 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

Golfer goes out on his own for a game and sees an attractive lady and asks her to join him for a game.

She beats him and they go for a drink and have a little kiss

They have another game and she beats him again so he invites her back to his house for a drink

She tells him "I have a confession to make" I am a transsexual man.

Bloke says "You deceiving bastard!!!! All this time you have been playing off the Ladies Tees!!!!!"

Ahh h haha

Just like that

https://www.bing.com...5E5&FORM=IQFRBA

#171 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:19 AM

View PostSteve Smith, on 09 April 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

Smudger

I identified with that because RC played a 41 year old man who lived at home and was under his "mummy's thumb

:lol: ;)

#172 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:56 PM

View Postcondemned2bfree, on 10 April 2017 - 06:19 AM, said:

Smudger

I identified with that because RC played a 41 year old man who lived at home and was under his "mummy's thumb

Ronnie Corbett told a lovely joke in his last interview......

A man was in hospital dying of cancer, he had the drip in his arm and the gown on. The Doctor said "Just go out for a bit of fresh air so the guy went to the bar over the road. He said to the barman "can I have a triple of your finest brandy please?"

The barman served him and he had another, then another.

The barman said "Are you from the hospital?" The guy said yes, they have let me out for a while

He then said "I really don't think I should be doing this today in my condition"

The barman said "Oh I am sorry, why what have you got?"

Guy says "Only 50p"

Arhh ha ha ha

Just like that

https://youtu.be/8lVd3Pl3z3M

#173 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:18 AM

View PostSteve Smith, on 11 April 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

Smudger

A man was in hospital dying of cancer, he had the drip in his arm and the gown on. The Doctor said "Just go out for a bit of fresh air so the guy went to the bar over the road. He said to the barman "can I have a triple of your finest brandy please?"

The barman said "Are you from the hospital?" The guy said yes, they have let me out for a while

He then said "I really don't think I should be doing this today in my condition"

Guy says "Only 50p"

Arhh ha ha ha

Just like that

I don't know why Ronnie Corbett didn't do more sitcoms, he was excellent in Sorry. Made the character endearing funny, he wasn't too shabby at straight acting.

Sorry, is not a classic, but its one of my favourites. That last joke you shared, Ronnie must have known he was on his way, still cracking jokes even in the face of
ill health and the rest. I was shocked to hear, that Ronnie Corbett became friends with Alice Cooper! They did an advert together, then became golfing buddies, who da thunk it?

#174 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:30 AM

View Postcondemned2bfree, on 12 April 2017 - 02:18 AM, said:

View PostSteve Smith, on 11 April 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

Smudger

Guy says "Only 50p"

Arhh ha ha ha

Just like that

I don't know why Ronnie Corbett didn't do more sitcoms, he was excellent in Sorry. Made the character endearing funny, he wasn't too shabby at straight acting.

Sorry, is not a classic, but its one of my favourites. That last joke you shared, Ronnie must have known he was on his way, still cracking jokes even in the face of
ill health and the rest. I was shocked to hear, that Ronnie Corbett became friends with Alice Cooper! They did an advert together, then became golfing buddies, who da thunk it?

Alice is a legend and one of the kindest sweetest man you could ever ever meet.

He was interviewed as the guest on Top Gear and he talked about the early 70's and all of the big brothers he tried to keep up with nearly killed him.

Keith Moon, John Bonham, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morisson

One day in the morning at the Holiday Inn instead of throwing up beer, he threw up blood. So he said this is a wake up call, if I keep doing this then I will die.

So he recovered with the help of Golf.... and Canibalism.

Vincent is just a legend and a wonderful guy.

He was on a Golf show with Peter Alliss, it was called Alliss plays a round with Alice ha ha.

Nicest guy in the business bar none XXXX

#175 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:38 AM

Peter Alliss is a national institution who gives a gentle two fingers to the PC brigade.

This is one of his many great "Gaffes"

https://youtu.be/q4f8RdsGZEw

#176 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:05 AM

View PostSteve Smith, on 12 April 2017 - 02:38 AM, said:

Peter Alliss is a national institution who gives a gentle two fingers to the PC brigade.

:lol:  Sincere, no malice intended. Peter is ceratainly great, is he and Terry Wogan related?

Edited by condemned2bfree, 12 April 2017 - 03:06 AM.

#177 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:05 AM

View Postcondemned2bfree, on 12 April 2017 - 03:05 AM, said:

View PostSteve Smith, on 12 April 2017 - 02:38 AM, said:

:lol:  Sincere, no malice intended. Peter is ceratainly great, is he and Terry Wogan related?

No but perhaps they should have been.

One of Peter's greatest quips was when Zac Johnson had a putt on the 18th hole to win at St Andrews 2 years ago

The camera panned to Zac's wife watching.

Peter said "Well there is the lovely Mrs Johnson, now common Zac, she can get a new kitchen if you hole this one"

Ha ha ha ha

The feminists and PC brigade were livid!!!!!

God bless you Peter XXXXX

#178 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:09 AM

He also used to "raconteur" when there was not much going on.

"Well poor old Paul Casey he has had a nightmare today sadly"

"Look at that scorecard, I think you would need Carol Vorderman to add that lot up"

"Mmm Carol Vorderman, I like her... I watched her the other day on Countdown and I got aroused"

"A-R-O-U-S-E-D, 7 letters, not bad for an old bugger like me"

Priceless!!!!!

#179 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:16 AM

One of his greatest indiscretions came at the Masters a couple of years ago, completely innocent and unintentional.

Alliss was commentating and his fellow commentator at the time was Sam Torrance.

Tiger Woods was playing with Phil Mickelson and Phil duffed it out of the bunker.

The camera panned to Woods lining up his putt and Peter had turned to say to Torrance....

"Well that was an awful shot wasn't it Sambo?"

Completely innocent but a fantastic Gaffe.

You could have heard a pin drop in the commentary box

Ha haha

#180 Slim

Slim

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 382 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

View Postcondemned2bfree, on 04 April 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

Yep Porridge was one of the greats. I love it, for them against us mentality, but epecially because its so funny.  

When you think about it with Barker, the roles he played, were so convincing as to be another person. I mean its not like your watching him in Porridge thiking, oh Arkwright.  Ronnie Barker - total master character comedian.

Yep - different gravy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users